Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
trainboy2019
trainboy2019 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4
Question Double checking jailbreak info

Hi, I've been reading through here and just to double check, there is no jailbreak for the PW4 running 5.10.3 at the current moment, correct? I'm just looking for a bit of clarification. Thanks!
trainboy2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
You are correct. Highest jailbreakable PW4 firmware at the moment is 5.10.1.3. No known jailbreak for PW4 5.10.2, 5.10.3, 5.11.x, etc.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
trainboy2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You are correct. Highest jailbreakable PW4 firmware at the moment is 5.10.1.3. No known jailbreak for PW4 5.10.2, 5.10.3, 5.11.x, etc.
And no way to downgrade either, right?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy2019 View Post
And no way to downgrade either, right?
Yup. Amazon has implemented downgrade protection for years now, I believe.

We do have a mystery diags update.bin but no one's been brave enough to test it (and potentially brick their PW4).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
trainboy2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yup. Amazon has implemented downgrade protection for years now, I believe.

We do have a mystery diags update.bin but no one's been brave enough to test it (and potentially brick their PW4).
Hmmm, I might be willing to try it. Is there a thread about it?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wouldn't help, it's flagged as diags, so it'll flash diags, not main .

EDIT: At least that was how the updater behaved when diags was a separate partition. No idea how that might translate to the newer hybridized devices...

EDIT²: And it reports itself as 5.10, so it won't pass the downgrade checks anyway.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-24-2019 at 08:09 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
trainboy2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wouldn't help, it's flagged as diags, so it'll flash diags, not main .
I'm not sure I understand. So it's a diagnostic tool? I take it there are multiple partitions in the NAND (or w/e the Kindle equivalent is)?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy2019 View Post
I'm not sure I understand. So it's a diagnostic tool? I take it there are multiple partitions in the NAND (or w/e the Kindle equivalent is)?
Sort of.
You are joining in during the switch from what is known to whatever Amazon/Lab126 is intending to do in the future.

Previously (to the 'new' system) -
Kindles where dual-boot systems (plus a minimal initramfs).
Named "main" and "diags" (for reasons known only to Lab126).

The 'new' system (maybe - you can never tell about Lab126) -
Kindles are becoming dual-mode rather than dual-boot.
I.E: What was "diags" has been moved into the initramfs.
This is part of the move towards an "Android(ized)" style system.

Once whatever re-definitions are stabilized by Amazon/Lab126, we MIGHT try dealing with those systems.
Or we may just stick with what will be the EoL series 5 systems.

Last edited by knc1; 06-29-2019 at 10:01 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote