Yes, I'm a nerd. 29 26.85%
I'm not a nerd, I'm THE nerd. 5 4.63%
I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek. 67 62.04%
No, I'm not a nerd, but I am more attractive than average. 7 6.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Are you a nerd?

While reading the thread about how much karma you can give (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37508), I was somehow reminded of how important social hierarchy was back in high school--hope I'm not stepping on any toes

That got me to thinking about the people who join a forum like MobileRead. I would expect this self-selected sample of the population to be above-average in intelligence, probably a little wittier than most, and most certainly more attractive in general

And, well, maybe a little nerdier than average. So I thought maybe a little research might be in order. Are you a nerd?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I am completely and utterly a nerd.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A lot of nerds, but not so many geeks (techie nerds).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm not sure i know the difference between "nerd" and "geek" but i'm pretty sure i'm a geek.

edit : and in case that was not clear, i would like to know the difference, if somebody can explain it...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm not sure i know the difference between "nerd" and "geek" but i'm pretty sure i'm a geek.

edit : and in case that was not clear, i would like to know the difference, if somebody can explain it...
There isn't really..
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
There isn't really..
Yes there is. Nerds don't necessarily have any technical skill. Geeks do.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, well then definitely a geek !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes there is. Nerds don't necessarily have any technical skill. Geeks do.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I have a lanyard retractor for my name badge that says "geek" so that's how I voted.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well, I'm less of a geek than I thought I was when I joined here...Boy have I had an education in a short span of time! Firmware, formatting, creating ebooks, scripts...my head spins (the sinus headache probably isn't helping that...).
I've always been good with figuring out programs, it's only when it gets into scripting that my brain shuts down, sticks it's fingers in it's (my?) ears and starts singing "LALALALALA"....
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
vally
vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad wifi 64gb
Well I have managed 106.
I dont think I have enough years in me to get round to them all!
Val
vally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i'm a writer, we're just weird
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll be honest, I answered "I'm a geek" but that is really just a snobbish nerd.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Merriam-Webster says
Quote:
Main Entry: geek
Pronunciation:
\ˈgēk\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German
Date:

1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
So, except for the requirement of being a carnival performer, yeah, I'm a geek.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Is this your definition of 'nerd'?

I would expect this self-selected sample of the population to be above-average in intelligence, probably a little wittier than most, and most certainly more attractive in general

Because if it isn't please define 'nerd'. I'm average. Just average. I just like books and mobileread people.

In school I was a nerd, does that count? I mean the unpopular kind. Now, what seems like a million years later, I no longer put labels on myself.

(Lord, its fun to fool with others polls!)

So, how should I vote? Hmmm?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote