Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
Why is Calibre modifying every PDF that it imports?

Hi guys,

I've discovered today that Calibre actually modifies every single PDF file that it imports. I got a nasty surprise when I was double checking files and was performing backup and all of the imported files were being scheduled for a backup when a simple inode change on my backup server should have been sufficient.

I double checked with diff and md5 and the files are indeed different!

This is before I did any metadata lookup or anything. Files were imported without metadata lookup selected and only ISBN field was populated using regexp option.

I find this behavior troubling. Calibre shouldn't be messing with PDF files. It's not modifying mobi/epub/djvu... but it's modifying PDF.

Melanie

Calibre 0.9.22 running on Mountain Lion.

Last edited by MelBr; 03-13-2013 at 02:16 AM.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh, as I have stated about 300 times before, calibre does not modify *any* files that it imports. You have likely installed some file type plugins, probably drm removal that are doing the modification.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh, as I have stated about 300 times before, calibre does not modify *any* files that it imports. You have likely installed some file type plugins, probably drm removal that are doing the modification.
Kovid,

I have no DRM plugins installed. I have no need for them. Here's what I do have installed:

Is any of these plugs a culprit?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
MelBr
Zealot

OK... so after I disabled/uninstalled all of the user plugins I could, Calibre is now not modifying PDF files! I'll try to figure out what was doing this tomorrow.

Thanks Kovid for a clue about plugins!