Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #871
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Some people will find something to dislike about everything. It is just part of their make up.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #872
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Some people will find something to dislike about everything. It is just part of their make up.
+1
I once had a cat that disliked everything apart from her own way

The inbuilt fonts offer quite a nice variety, especially when you access the extra ones that are hidden. In fact I found out about them from these forums.
That's how I found MT Chinese Surrogate, which I love.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #873
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I've used whatever came stock with my K2 and my DX. I know there is a hack to change them but Ive never felt the urge to do so. The size I will change from time to time depending on how my eyes are feeling.

The screen savers on the hand where changed almost from day one.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #874
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you dislike about the stock fonts?
There are only five of them.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 AM   #875
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you so dislike the fonts that come with the Kindle, why not switch to a different Reader where you can side load fonts that you prefer?
Thanks for the advice dude, only yesterday did I return my Voyage for an H2O. I can actually make each book look different now! Thanks Kobo.
Advert
Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #876
cerem0ny
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
+1
I once had a cat that disliked everything apart from her own way

The inbuilt fonts offer quite a nice variety, especially when you access the extra ones that are hidden. In fact I found out about them from these forums.
That's how I found MT Chinese Surrogate, which I love.
Well they are a nice group of fonts, but the fact that there are only five of them, and Amazon forces you to use only those five and none others is a bit of a jip in my opinion. In general, I don't like being made to feel like a chump.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 AM   #877
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Well they are a nice group of fonts, but the fact that there are only five of them, and Amazon forces you to use only those five and none others is a bit of a jip in my opinion. In general, I don't like being made to feel like a chump.
But you presumably knew this before buying the Kindle, right? If fonts are important to you (and personally I couldn't give a damn about them), would it not, as Jon suggests, have been more sensible to buy a different model of reading device which allows you to load your own fonts? It seems a little unreasonable to criticise a device for not doing something it never claimed to be able to do. I like the Kindle a lot, but it's self-evidently not a good choice of device if being able to load your own fonts is an essential feature for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #878
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Type is not meant to be noticed unless something went wrong anyway. Amazon has a nice set on Kindles.

My favorite typeface style is transitional serif, and Kindle has Baskerville. For those who prefer old-style serifs there is Palatino; and for slab serif, there is Caecilia.

This covers all forms of serif typefaces meant for reading long texts.

They even have Helvetica and Futura but I have a hard time imagining who would read with them.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #879
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Type is not meant to be noticed unless something went wrong anyway. Amazon has a nice set on Kindles.

My favorite typeface style is transitional serif, and Kindle has Baskerville. For those who prefer old-style serifs there is Palatino; and for slab serif, there is Caecilia.

They even have Helvetica and Futura but I have a hard time imagining who would read with them.
I share your views, Gerge, but some people clearly have a different opinion, and that's absolutely fine, of course. There's no right or wrong in these things.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #880
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
That's your choice.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #881
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
There are only five of them.
Or, there are only thirteen of them.
Or, there are only 47 of them.
Or, there are only 2156 of them.

Me? I just want to read books. A font that is comfortable to read is all I need and my Kindle Papaerwhite has five for me to pick from. The only time I can remember actually complaining about a font was when a friend of mine started sending me letters written in a small cursive font. I couldn't read the blasted letters.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #882
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post

The fonts on a Kindle are a problem. Caecilia is not a nice font to read with. Baskerville (or is it Palatino) is not dark enough (at least on the Kindle Touch) and the sans-serif fonts are a waste of space as they are not main body fonts. So that leaves very little choice for what font to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #883
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
The fonts on a Kindle are a problem. Caecilia is not a nice font to read with. Baskerville (or is it Palatino) is not dark enough (at least on the Kindle Touch) and the sans-serif fonts are a waste of space as they are not main body fonts. So that leaves very little choice for what font to use.
No, the fonts on a Kindle are NOT a problem. Maybe they are a problem for you. Which is fine, nobody makes you read on a Kindle. Caecilia not a nice font to read with? Since when? Main body font must be serif? Gee, get over yourself. The more often you try to sell us your personal opinion as absolute truth the more ridiculous you sound.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:57 AM   #884
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The fonts on a Kindle are a problem. Caecilia is not a nice font to read with.
Not a nice font IN YOUR OPINION, Jon. And given that you don't actually own a Kindle, why the hell do you keep whining about it? It doesn't affect you in the slightest way!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 AM   #885
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Note: I am not here to give detailed lessons about typography, but I could give some book recommendations to those who want to learn why geometric typefaces are not good for body.

Type can be very personal. I would read with a slab serif if the book is published like that, but Inquite like ability to change them with ereaders.

But what you are saying here (I am speaking to you, JSWolf) is just your personal opinion. Typography is a science as much as it is an art and therefore there is some objective facts in it. But that Caecilia is a bad typeface to read is not one of them.

Let me explain.

Slab serifs (also called egyptian) like Caecilia are well suited to the body text objectively. Traditionally, egyptians are designed to draw attention; therefore they are advertisement and headline types; but recently some egyptians show a big design shift towards body-compatible shapes. Guardian Egyptian (type of The Guardian) is a very big example of this. Caecilia is also one of the important examples of this.

Caecilia is a body type, there is no way around that. It uses humanist shapes, large x-heights and counters. You might not prefer to read in it, I personally abhor it and would never use it, but both our personal tastes will not change the objective facts.

Also, what DuckieTigger said can also be considered in this terms. Sans-serif typefaces are not designed for body text. On pixelated screens, they can make full use of hinting and do not have fine details; therefore they are very good choices for web. But not for print and epaper (which is very similar to printing with new HD epapers).

Type is something immensely personal yet scientific. It is weird.

As last note, I use Kindle font files with my Kobo Glo, they render perfectly good. They are dark and legible.

Last edited by GERGE; 06-27-2015 at 04:47 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote