Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Dropbox Help

I am not sure if I should be posting this on here or in the Calibre Forum, but here goes anyway.

I have just installed Dropbox and I am having trouble with the location of my Calibre Library backup.

I dropped Calibre Library into Dropbox and now is doesn't show up under C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library as previously. I now have a Dropbox folder and can get to Calibre Library that way but previously it would come up under Users etc. I think previously it was also under Documents. Can anyone advise what the hell I have done please?. How can I get back to normal?. I have put this in the Calibre Forum also.

Last edited by Nicko; 01-06-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Thread also in Calibre Management Forum
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
If it is still in your dropbox account, go in there, make a copy of that database, then past it back into users\patrick\calibre library.

The thing that annoys me about using the dropbox app on the computer is if you drag a file into it it moves it from the original location into dropbox (or in this case users\documents\dropbox). I when I feel like uploading epubs that I have on my computer into dropbox, I usually just select the ones I want do a copy then paste it (not paste shortcut) into dropbox.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
If it is still in your dropbox account, go in there, make a copy of that database, then past it back into users\patrick\calibre library.

The thing that annoys me about using the dropbox app on the computer is if you drag a file into it it moves it from the original location into dropbox (or in this case users\documents\dropbox). I when I feel like uploading epubs that I have on my computer into dropbox, I usually just select the ones I want do a copy then paste it (not paste shortcut) into dropbox.
I appreciate you telling me that. I thought I must have done something wrong. It is quite annoying and I am not sure I will continue to use Dropbox as it caused me a lot of grief.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I appreciate you telling me that. I thought I must have done something wrong. It is quite annoying and I am not sure I will continue to use Dropbox as it caused me a lot of grief.
Nicko,

Really once you get used to dropbox's quirk it's all good. I have a box.net account also and tried to test and see if I could use it on my T1. While I can see the account on the web browser on my T1 it won't let me download the files I had put there.

Dropbox at least makes it possible to donwload directly off the website with no issues.

But as for the "vanishing files" I'm afraid that all cloud based services where you install the program to your computer does that ... that would include Google Drive, Sugarsync, Dropbox and Skydrive. I guess they would call it a "feature."
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks luvduchovny, Perhaps I will persevere with Dropbox but I still don't like the "vanishing files" business.
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Try opening your dropbox folder from the system tray.. then rightclick-drag-copy your files into the folder... rather than drag-drop move, this way your original files will remain where they are....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Try opening your dropbox folder from the system tray.. then rightclick-drag-copy your files into the folder... rather than drag-drop move, this way your original files will remain where they are....
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Cheers.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post

This is not a Dropbox issue per se, it is the way both Windows Explorer and macos Finder work. If you drag a file from one location on your hard disk to another location on the same volume, it moves rather than copies that file. If you want to copy, hold the ctrl key (or on mac, option key) as you drag. The cursor should change to show "+", indicating that it will place a copy in the destination folder ( in this case, the dropbox folder). Of course you can also use copy/paste, but it is more steps in most cases.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-16-2013 at 08:37 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Nicko
Groupie

Something else to try. I am learning slowly.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Something else to try. I am learning slowly.
I've updated my 'tip', the correct drag modifier for win is 'ctrl' and for mac it is 'option'. My hands know this but I didn't have a keyboard handy to double check it (posted from my tablet).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I've updated my 'tip', the correct drag modifier for win is 'ctrl' and for mac it is 'option'. My hands know this but I didn't have a keyboard handy to double check it (posted from my tablet).
I don't follow that. Isn't that would you showed originally, or am I missing something?.