Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #481
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Never had the banners.
It's not really a banner, is a block of bad news.

http://overdrive.downloads.kcls.org

Top right.

Nothing yet in Seattle or Pierce Cty or down here in Oregon.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #482
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
San Francisco just switched...what a hunk of junk. I can't stand the new interface...busy, slow, less information. I guess that's one way to reduce the number of people checking out titles!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #483
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Even after weeks, my opinion hasn't changed. The fact that I can't see a series' name and number on any of the overview pages is driving me insane on a daily basis.

If I browse the sites in mobile view (still old look with best usability),I can't see the WMA selection, and the browser won't let me go to desktop view again, so I have to resort to using two different internet browsers on each device: one for mobile view and one for the new desktop view. I'd love to have a chat with the project team who implemented this.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #484
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Even after weeks, my opinion hasn't changed. The fact that I can't see a series' name and number on any of the overview pages is driving me insane on a daily basis.If I browse the sites in mobile view (still old look with best usability),I can't see the WMA selection, and the browser won't let me go to desktop view again, so I have to resort to using two different internet browsers on each device: one for mobile view and one for the new desktop view. I'd love to have a chat with the project team who implemented this.
This is my biggest issue with the new system.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #485
Mike@OverDrive
Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle
Hello, Mobile Read!

Sorry for the disappearing act. I've been pulled away to other projects recently, but I'll have a progress report on our Next Gen sites for you soon.

I just finished sifting through your posts from the past few weeks, and I've compiled a list of feature requests and bug reports. Once I meet with our development team, I'll be in touch.

Again, thanks for your feedback. It's a huge help.

Mike
Mike@OverDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #486
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While you are talking to your development team, please tell them we want the list back instead of the oversized thumbnail covers. It's just not efficient. We have to click the cover and then we can borrow or hold or wish list. We used to be able to do so from the list. Also, with the list, we were able to get 25 listings per screen, not we can't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #487
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Thanks for taking the time to do that, Mike. Much appreciated!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #488
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The comments in this thread had me very worried about the new interface, but I can see the reason behind developing something that's optimized for tablets. A lot of people will be reading on tablets and accessing their libraries with them in the future.

I'm not a fan of the book covers overwhelming the display, especially since the title and author names are badly cropped, but I do like having more books show per page (less scrolling). I really hope Overdrive can fix the title/author issue, moving the wish list ribbon up into the bottom left corner of the book cover would give more room and adding an additional line for the book title as well as making the font slightly smaller would help tremendously.

It took some trial and error to figure out, but I've been able to do the advanced searches I want, so no complaints there. The log in glitch seems to be fixed, I haven't had to log in a second time to sign out every single book recently.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #489
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new interface is not designed for a tablet because to see the title/author, you have to hover the mouse over the cover image. You cannot hover on a tablet.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #490
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The comments in this thread had me very worried about the new interface, but I can see the reason behind developing something that's optimized for tablets. A lot of people will be reading on tablets and accessing their libraries with them in the future.

I'm not a fan of the book covers overwhelming the display, especially since the title and author names are badly cropped, but I do like having more books show per page (less scrolling). I really hope Overdrive can fix the title/author issue, moving the wish list ribbon up into the bottom left corner of the book cover would give more room and adding an additional line for the book title as well as making the font slightly smaller would help tremendously.

It took some trial and error to figure out, but I've been able to do the advanced searches I want, so no complaints there. The log in glitch seems to be fixed, I haven't had to log in a second time to sign out every single book recently.
So far they have not changed the mobile site design, and I hope they don't. I sometimes access the library directly on my Sony reader and would really not want to have to click on all those )(@*#& thumbnails. It's bad enough on my PC, where I can open each one in a new tab to save a little time. It would be a real pain on the Sony reader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #491
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

Same here I am use to new layout. I do not want to go back!
I do think something like this would be wonderful! (hover over the covers)

Most of the problems have been fixed that I posted about. I no longer have to login to check out a hold. The wishlist works correctly and there is no longer a popup telling me about my checkout limit.

My only problem is the Available Now being default instead of Library Collection on new ebooks and Brooklyn doesn't have this problem but FLP and READS does.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #492
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new interface is not designed for a tablet because to see the title/author, you have to hover the mouse over the cover image. You cannot hover on a tablet.
Exactly. Even at a very good screen resolution on my iPad 3, I cannot tell what the book tiles are and who the author is, which is really the number one thing I should see on a library site. It takes me way too many clicks to figure out if a book is part of a series, and which order the series is in - that's just bad user experience and unrelated to tablet usage.

The same exact experence is what I get from my Windows 8 convertible, and I won't even attempt to browse the desktop sites from my phones or the Nexus 7.

A clear indication that the redesign is not touch accessible is the fact that the arrows for previous/next are tiny and easy to miss by touch.

@Mike, good to have you back! I hope our suggestions will be taken into consideration, especially the ability to switch back to classic view, which was giving us so much more info at the minimum number of clicks.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #493
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
If there was only one change that could be implemented in the new design, my wish would be to include more information on the initial 'hovering'.

Instead of just title and author, it would be so helpful to have title, series name and number and author.

Available copies and number of patrons on hold list is probably asking too much, but would also be welcome. Also a listing of available formats.

Having any or all of the above 'at a glance' would definitely make browsing NextGen more enjoyable than it is now.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #494
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
If there was only one change that could be implemented in the new design, my wish would be to include more information on the initial 'hovering'.

Instead of just title and author, it would be so helpful to have title, series name and number and author.

Available copies and number of patrons on hold list is probably asking too much, but would also be welcome. Also a listing of available formats.

Having any or all of the above 'at a glance' would definitely make browsing NextGen more enjoyable than it is now.
I want our list back.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #495
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post

I agree with the above request, but would ask to make it device friendly by implementing some way that would work on any device, whether it's a computer or something else. Hovering, unfortunately, requires a mouse or touchpad, which not even Windows 8 relies on any more.

And, I still would ask to add the ability to switch between classic view and redesigned view, to see all formats in all browsers, independently from the device used to browse at that particular moment, and the ability to actually see the complete TITLE of a book and the author's complete name.

Sigh, or ask the iOS app developers to lend the web developers a hand: at least they seem to know what they are doing!