Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Fozzer
Fozzer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
UK E Book Library

Guys
does anyone know where i can download the UK version of the Sony eBook library software

Thanks
Fozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIK it's only available on the CDs bundled with the UK readers. Why do you need it anyway? It doesn't do anything that's not available in the US version.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Fozzer

My boss has bought a reader after my recommendations from the US
but has bought e-books from waterstones UK which the UK library software uses.

The US version of the software wont allow him to transfer the UK ( waterstones ) books to the reader thus the need for the UK software version
Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzer View Post
My boss has bought a reader after my recommendations from the US
but has bought e-books from waterstones UK which the UK library software uses.

The US version of the software wont allow him to transfer the UK ( waterstones ) books to the reader thus the need for the UK software version
I really don't think this matters. I could be wrong though.

Is the eBook reader registered to the Adobe ID that the books were purchased using? This needs to be done in DE.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, you just need to authorize the Reader using Digital Editions and then eBook Library will open EPUB books (even though you don't really need it - you can just copy books with Explorer).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Fozzer

Cheers guys
I have a feeling he hasn't registered his device with DE will let you know,

Last edited by Fozzer; 11-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Neil McRae
Neil McRae began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
install adobe and download the books.

then import them into the US Sony software - works well.
Neil McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Fozzer

Right

guys we have found out the following, when i connect his reader to my laptop XP installed and i can authorise the device if i wish through ditial editions, but my friend cant see the reader in his copy of digital editons running vista is there any tweaks to get this going running Vista...
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the reader showing up as an external "drive" on Windows Explorer?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Fozzer

H
I think it is yes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
crisb
crisb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi All, Rather than start a new help thread, I thought I'd re-open this as my request is essentially the same....

Summary : I'd really appreciate it if anyone has the the UK library software as I'd like to buy books from Waterstone's with it -- could someone pop a copy onto rapidshare for me (pretty) please?

Long story :

* I bought my PRS-505 the day it came out in the UK (actually the day before thanks to the boss of the Sony Center on Kings Road ) and in all the excitement was a complete and utter fool and left the box containing the CD and cable in a restaurant the very same night. Worse still, on calling the restaurant the next morning, I'm told they'd thrown my small bag away with the rubbish!

* Over the following few days, I spend 2+ hours on the phone to Sony getting passed around various Indian and American call-centers speaking to technicians and basically get nowhere. They only wanted to point me to the US software and nobody in Sony UK seemed to either know or care much at all about their lovely new Reader

* Finally I gave-in, downloaded the US software and managed to connect it to my Adobe Library and put my PDF's on it and use it finally ... but obviously I cannot buy books from the US store being a non-US resident!

* I really want to buy some books now and yesterday decided to try again -- this time spending 2+ hours looking EVERYWHERE on the web for the UK software, reading every single FAQ on Sony's site, and even emailing their support (no joy there) and their US bookstore but NOBODY is able to point me to the UK software!

* As a last ditch effort I have emailed Waterstones tonight to ask if they can help and am sending this SOS to the people on here

I fully accept I was a complete idiot for loosing the CD on the day I bought the thing but christ ... I am beginning to HATE Sony after spending almost a day getting precisely nowhere with any of their support staff or websites when it comes to the the UK PRS-505!!

Thanks and Seasons Greeetings to all - any help appreciated

Last edited by crisb; 12-11-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling!
crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisb View Post
* As a last ditch effort I have emailed Waterstones tonight to ask if they can help and am sending this SOS to the people on here
Ok... I'm pretty sure you CAN buy the waterstone eBooks from the web site without needing the Sony software. This is much different than buying from the US Sony eBook store which you are required to use the software.

You will need Adobe Digital Editions installed and registered and then use it to register your reader to your Adobe ID... which it sounds like you do have...although I am not sure from your message.

You can also buy Secure Adobe PDF/ePub books from fictionwise and booksonboard.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
pilotbob is right, you don't even use the UK software to buy books at all, it just links you to the waterstones web pages. There is nothing the UK version does that the US one won't, you will be fine using the US one. Digital Editions is needed for the Waterstones books, it will authorise your reader for you then you can load them into the Sony Library if you wish as you do with usual books.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisb View Post
* Finally I gave-in, downloaded the US software and managed to connect it to my Adobe Library and put my PDF's on it and use it finally ... but obviously I cannot buy books from the US store being a non-US resident!
Just a couple of things, in addition to the points the others have made about being able to use the Waterstones store independent of the Sony Software...
  • If you really want to, there are ways for those of us outside the US to buy Sony Credit for use there.
  • You can still 'buy' the $0 books, there are currenly a few available!
  • There are a number of other places beyond Waterstones to buy suitably formatted books for the Reader.
  • There's even more if you're prepared to strip the DRM & format convert!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote