Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just bought a lovely purple, fake leather case, which I love. But the $35 price seemed ridiculous. I expect competitors to enter the market as more e-readers are sold, and the prices will come down.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #32
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
I do agree that covers in general are too expensive, which is why I put off buying one for my Nook and kept an eye on sales. Just as I was getting interested in looking for one again, I noticed that the "classic" Nook covers were on sale for 30% off, and I ended up buying an "Industriell" cover for $20 . This one might have even been worth the original $30 price, given the fact that a large number of users rated it highly and wrote glowing reviews about it.

The problem with the higher-priced designer covers straight from B&N is twofold. First, you can't really tell from online pictures and descriptions whether something that looks all cool and designer-y is actually going to be useful. Second, my experience with trying to buy a cover in-store where I could actually look at it was like an episode in a sitcom. I went in there knowing exactly what I wanted, with a printout that identified the product, the number, and what it was for. It took four different people about 20 minutes of milling around, consulting the computer, and getting down on their hands and knees to dig in a very tiny cabinet (where they apparently keep all covers not on open display), to come back and tell me that "This isn't a Nook cover - it is only for the NookColor." I told the nice man seemingly in charge to look at what I had given him, check the number, and see whether the computer said they had any in stock. It was a great revelation to him that not only was this a Nook product, but the computer said they had some in stock...somewhere. Oh, and while I was doing this, the same person who had earlier pointed out to me that a huge display of covers was "NookColor only" had discovered that on the other side of it was a display of regular Nook covers. They were all so busy with the tiny cabinet and the computer screen and running back and forth that they left me to dig through the display, which yielded nothing.

When all was said and done, and after another ten minutes or so, they informed me that they really didn't have any in stock, despite what the computer said, but could order one for me in 3 to 8 business days, so I gave them my information and left. The next day I got an email from them saying that, sorry, they really couldn't order one for me after all, but in the meantime my nice wife had decided that this could be an early birthday present, ordered the Industriell for me on the same day I had gone to the store (Saturday), and it arrived in the mail on Wednesday.

The short of the long story is that I got a free smoothie (had brought my Nook), a bunch of in-store freebies, and some in-store entertainment from the staff - AND I am more than happy with the cover. And regarding B&N, I do hope this was just a bad day at one store and not typical. Most of my other dealings with them, including my purchase of the Nook at that same store, and the mail order for the cover, have been just fine.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Check out Best Buy-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...s&nrp=15&iht=n

That's not too bad. They have them for the Touch Edition, too
Those are for the old 300 model and may not fit the 350 which is quite a bit smaller.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #34
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My Aluratek Libra Pro came with a free cover.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
So did the K1. It was awful.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #36
Sawduster
Sawduster is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
I have this cover and think it's great for $14.99

http://www.crazyondigital.com/cod-ki...lk-screen.html
Sawduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I like my Oberon case a lot.

And it cost less than my sunglasses!

:-)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #38
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
One of the reasons I like my Pocketbook 360 is it doesn't need a cover/case. It has a snap on plastic cover protects the screen when not reading and it snaps onto the back when reading. No extra cost for me :-)
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
bendable
bendable doesn't litterbendable doesn't litter

Device: none
This is by no means my idea, and most likely it appears elsewhere on here, but when I get my reader I'm planning on making my own case...out of an old book.

You can find tutorials on how to make secret hiding spots inside books (youtube videos, etc). I'll just make my 'hiding place' big enough to hold my reader. I'll most likely line it with some sort of softer material to absorb shock and movement, and attach some sort of string/peg on the cover in order to tie it or wrap it shut.

Positives:
Doesn't look like a carrying case for an expensive electronic device, so it scares away thieves.
Cheap. Although I'll have to wreck a book to do it. I'll just pick a book I don't like.
Customizeable.

Negatives:
Will take time to make.
Might be heavier than an average case.
Not sure if I'll be able to fit accessories in it.

I found a link to the process of making a case that would work for this:
http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006...llow-book.html
bendable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #40
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I haven't spent too much on cases, but I do like the tuff-luv ones, the flip cover means it doesn't take any more space than the reader outside the case and the little stand comes in handy at times too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #41
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
An Iphone bumper costs $30. Dont feel too bad.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #42
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
An Iphone bumper costs $30. Dont feel too bad.
I got a free bumper from Apple, which I haven't opened. I've got a bunch of fun cases that I found for $3 or $4 USD. My favorite is one that looks like an old-school cassette, like this one:

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/10/2...iphone-4-case/

As with e-book cases, you can spend a little or a lot.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #43
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I got a free bumper from Apple, which I haven't opened. I've got a bunch of fun cases that I found for $3 or $4 USD. My favorite is one that looks like an old-school cassette, like this one:

I may have to get an iphone just so I can buy that case. It is perfect!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post

Now that is worth serious consideration!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #45
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
For anyone interested in the iPhone cassette-style case, it's available cheaper here, and for 3G / 3GS, as well as iPhone 4:

http://www.perpetualkid.com/tuned-up-iphone-case.aspx

I'm not affiliated and have never purchased through this site, though. I bought my case (without stand) for about $3.50 USD in China. Note that the case doesn't have a cut-out for charging. For $3.50, I wasn't expecting much, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote