Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
clambert
clambert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ratings Not Being Pulled From All Plugins (Metadata Download)

Normally I don't have LibraryThing download ratings data. Call me crazy. I just now updated to 0.7.24 and none of the three books I added were pulling ratings data. I also tried this on an existing book that retrieved ratings data from already. Same result... Nothing. Amazon, Douban Books, Google Books, and IsbnDB were selected to fetch it. It wasn't until I enabled Library Thing that it grabbed the rating data.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
clambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the only metadata sources that have ratings are amazon and librarything.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
clambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the only metadata sources that have ratings are amazon and librarything.
Ok, that's fine. It doesn't seem to be pulling from Amazon then for me then.

I have download ratings checked.

Description / reviews checked.

Download tags is unchecked.

Does it seem to be pulling ratings just from Amazon for you? Just wondering if maybe I have something setup wrong. I don't think so because it did work before.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ratings are only considered significant if more than 5 people have rated the item. Otherwise they are ignored. Try it with a popular book.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
clambert

Quote:
ratings are only considered significant if more than 5 people have rated the item. Otherwise they are ignored. Try it with a popular book.
ROTLMAO. There are over 2000 reviews on Amazon. I'm trying to add the Stieg Larsson Millennium Trilogy. Gotta run now but I will try again later. Like I mentioned though, a book I already did didn't update for me when I changed the rating.

I'll report back later.
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just tried it and ratings are being fetched from AMazon just fine.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
clambert

Quote:
Sweet. Thanks for checking for me. Now to dig in and figure out what I have going on.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I just tried the below book and in this instance ratings are not being fetched from Amazon. I have tried others also without success.

Title: Galapagos
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
ISBN: 9780385333870

I have the Amazon Plugin to download everything but Tags (see attached).
I have Librarything Plugin Disabled.

When I enable the Librarything plugin the ratings download fine, but with it disabled there are no ratings downloaded even though on Amazon the book has been rated over 100 times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon_plugin.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	60243  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In that case it's probably because the ISBN refers to an edition not available from Amazon, try one of the other ISBNs for that book. At some point I have to write an ISBN mapper, but for the moment, Amazon will be somewhat hit and miss depending on whether it knows about the particular ISBN
Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In that case it's probably because the ISBN refers to an edition not available from Amazon, try one of the other ISBNs for that book. At some point I have to write an ISBN mapper, but for the moment, Amazon will be somewhat hit and miss depending on whether it knows about the particular ISBN
I'll do that but I copied the ISBN directly from Amazon's page. I'll try some others.

Title: Kaleidoscope
Author: Danielle Steel
ISBN: 9780440244011 (obtained from Amazon's page)
Ratings: 29
Rating Downloaded: None

Title: Cannery Row
Author: John Steinbeck
ISBN: 9780142000687 (obtained from Amazon's page)
Ratings: 242

Title: Pride And Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
ISBN: 9781453837733 (obtained from Amazon's page)
Ratings: 1107

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
ISBN: 9780575076822 (obtained from Amazon's page)
Ratings: 937

I have the Amazon Plugin to download everything but Tags.
I have Librarything Plugin Disabled.

I could go on. The summaries download fine but not the ratings.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah I see the problem...working on a fix.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Should now be fixed. Although currently getting tags from Amazon is broken (they've changed their API, I'll have to hunt down the new API query for tags)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As far as I can see there is no replacement for the tags api which has been deprecated:

http://aws.amazon.com/releasenotes/4038

So no more tags from amazon

And I read somewhere that they are imposing query limits, which likely means no more metadata from Amazon at all, but we'll see...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
clambert

Ah, so I wasn't crazy. That's good to know.