Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Least annoying "normal" (DRM) UK/US e-book shops to buy EPUB from (Thinking Alf)

Even though I have a Kindle, I thought I rather want to buy books in EPUB format. I see a bigger utility in them in the long run.

The following five UK shops sell the same (DRM) book for the exact same amount:
- Foyles
- Waterstones
- WH Smith (Kobo UK)
- Sony
- Nook

Now I know Amazon's system (I have to download their software to my PC, then look for the book in My Documents directory). I have no idea how the above 3 works but which of these 3 is the least painful to get my hands on the physical EPUB file to later do whatever I feel like with it (read: Alf). Instead of trying all 3 by myself, I would like to use your experiences.

Now the above question is for the UK situation (for books cheaper in the UK) but in the long run I will need the same solution (least painful to extract EPUB from) for US sellers as well.

Why do I want to buy EPUB and not convert Amazon's proprietary format back to it?
1. EPUB is just better: https://ebookglue.com/blog/2013/05/2...kf8-vs-epub-3/
2. My money goes to support EPUB vendors (in the broadest terms), not tricky reconverting to EPUB.

Edit: the book is not cheaper on Amazon by a single cent.

Last edited by avid01; 07-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would go for pricing myself. If you open MY computer and type the name in the search bar you should be able to find the book easily enough at any of them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

As far as I know, WHSmith sold out their ebook store to Kobo. The irritating thing about Kobo is that you can only buy one book at a time, and their customer service... requires improvement. But they are my second go-to ebook store after Amazon. They do money-off offers quite regularly. (And their book readers are nice.)

Waterstones - I think I've bought from them once, because that's the only time they had what I wanted at the cheapest price. Generally they either don't have what I want, or they have it but with a hefty price hike.

Generally, I have to admit, I buy from Amazon. It's cheap, it's easy, and the customer service is good.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I buy ePub books (which isn't very often) I generally buy from Waterstones. But honestly, as someone else has said, I'd stick with Amazon. Their bookstore is the easiest to use and they have far and away the best selection. If you do buy an ePub reader in the future it's easy to convert from Amazon's formats (Mobi, KF8) to ePub using Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I made a file in my documents folder called My Ebooks.

All of my epub books get downloaded to my download folder, they are then transferred over to Calibre for cleaning. From there they get transferred to the My Ebooks folder. I also back them up on a separate Iomega portable hard drive.

I only purchase standard Adobe drm books or drm free books.

Buy based on price.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Kobo with one of their promo codes is often the cheapest.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I, too, buy solely based on price. If I can, I borrow from the library instead.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Kobo with one of their promo codes is often the cheapest.
Often only if the coupon is for 35% or better, at least in my experience from the US. Sometimes a 30% code will get you a slightly lower price than Amazon, but often it's still a bit more expensive. I'm sure it depends on the books one happens to be shopping for at the time though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Often only if the coupon is for 35% or better, at least in my experience from the US. Sometimes a 30% code will get you a slightly lower price than Amazon, but often it's still a bit more expensive. I'm sure it depends on the books one happens to be shopping for at the time though.
That may be true. I generally use 45% or higher codes. The original poster may be in the UK so will have a different experience. And for Agency priced titles I sometimes see Diesel has the low price.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well Kobo have given me one measly coupon for 20% in a year and to be honest it's not worth using it. Most of the books I want would still be more expensive than the kindle version. Also the few that are cheaper are only a few pennies less. Hardly worth the hassle of converting for use on my kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Well Kobo have given me one measly coupon for 20% in a year and to be honest it's not worth using it. Most of the books I want would still be more expensive than the kindle version. Also the few that are cheaper are only a few pennies less. Hardly worth the hassle of converting for use on my kindle.
You need to go to the deals thread. There are usually a bunch of discounts available for Kobo, but they don't work for all publishers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...Discount Codes
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Even though I have a Kindle, I thought I rather want to buy books in EPUB format. I see a bigger utility in them in the long run.

The following three UK shops sell the same (DRM) book for the exact same amount:
- Foyles
- Waterstones
- WH Smith (Kobo UK)

Now I know Amazon's system (I have to download their software to my PC, then look for the book in My Documents directory). I have no idea how the above 3 works but which of these 3 is the least painful to get my hands on the physical EPUB file to later do whatever I feel like with it (read: Alf). Instead of trying all 3 by myself, I would like to use your experiences.

Now the above question is for the UK situation (for books cheaper in the UK) but in the long run I will need the same solution (least painful to extract EPUB from) for US sellers as well.
I'm not sure that I understand your question - but if you want to buy epub books then you can continue to purchase from Amazon but just use Calibre's Alf plug in to handle the rights and conversion issues.

I use Sony's Reader for PC as my desktop software which is where all my epubs (and library epubs) get dropped into.

From there I import the title into Calibre and it does it's thing.

So - you will continue to use Kindle desktop as your desktop software for Amazon products, you'll use Sony Reader for all your epubs irrespective of whether you buy them from Kobo or any of the 3 you mentioned.

Hope that helps
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I updated my first post:

The following five UK shops sell the same (DRM) book for the exact same amount:
- Foyles
- Waterstones
- WH Smith (Kobo UK)
- Sony
- Nook

[...]

Why do I want to buy EPUB and not convert Amazon's proprietary format back to it?
1. EPUB is just better: https://ebookglue.com/blog/2013/05/2...kf8-vs-epub-3/
2. My money goes to support EPUB vendors (in the broadest terms), not tricky reconverting to EPUB.

Last edited by avid01; 07-07-2013 at 09:07 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you explain, please, how the money you pay for a book goes "directly to ePub development"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You need to go to the deals thread. There are usually a bunch of discounts available for Kobo, but they don't work for all publishers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...Discount Codes
Thanks I will check them out
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote