Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't know if I will use an editor for the book I'm writing, I don't know if I can justify the expense. I did put my book on my Kindle, and listened to it with Text to Speech. I found an amazing number of errors by listening to it that I wouldn't have found just by reading it over and over. When I was reading it myself, I tended to see what I thought I had written, rather than what I had actually written. I don't plan on publishing it until I at least get some unbiased beta readers, if I wind up not using an editor.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll suggest a truism that it's those who least think they need editing who need it most.
I don't need and editor.
REALLY!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I don't need and editor.
and editor?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Er, I think that was rather the point of the post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
There are two things that are essential to any form of success. An editor, and a good cover design. Even with eBooks, it is the cover that first draws our attention. With so many wannabe critics being unable to do little more than hunt for and pounce upon grammatical or spelling errors, a badly presented book is going to be greeted with a series of one star reviews regardless of its content with regard to plot, characterisation and pace. If one cannot afford an editor, at least find a well educated proof reader. An experienced editor will check for many factors other than grammar and layout; a good proof reader will at least take the wind out of many of the one star grammar vigilantes' sails.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
There are two things that are essential to any form of success. An editor, and a good cover design. Even with eBooks, it is the cover that first draws our attention.
Perhaps that depends on the bookstore? I buy the majority of my eBooks at Amazon, and rarely look at the cover of a book. Heck, the Kindle doesn't display the cover of a book unless you make a specific effort to look at it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #37
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
But then you've already bought it. I guess DarkScribe meant that a good cover is essential in the time of decision making.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps that depends on the bookstore? I buy the majority of my eBooks at Amazon, and rarely look at the cover of a book. Heck, the Kindle doesn't display the cover of a book unless you make a specific effort to look at it.
I think you may be the exception, Harry. I find that the first thing I do is look at the cover. A very amateurish cover makes me wonder what other corners the author has cut. My experience has been that the less professional looking the cover the greater number of grammar and spelling errors to be found. Not always true, but true often enough.

Perhaps the Kindle doesn't display the cover, I don't know, not owning one, but my Nook and my Sonys do display the cover.

I'm curious, Harry. If you never look at the cover images when shopping for an ebook, how do you make the decision to read the blurb or the sample of an ebook?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm curious, Harry. If you never look at the cover images when shopping for an ebook, how do you make the decision to read the blurb or the sample of an ebook?
I tend to buy "authors" rather than "books". If I buy a book that I enjoy (very often via a recommendation in the "Reading Recs" forum here at MR), then I'll generally buy all of that author's books. I'm also still in the (lengthy) process of replacing my rather large paper library with eBooks, so many books are already a known quantity to me. At the moment, for example, I'm buying a few of Anne McCaffrey's eBooks every week, because they've only recently become available as eBooks in the UK. I typically buy 3 or 4 eBooks a week to add to my collection, even though that's way more than I actually read.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #40
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's precisely the point. Editing is not an "optional" part of writing a book; it's an investment that will hugely more than repay itself if the book is any good.
Yet the Internet is full of trade-published writers complaining that their publisher didn't edit their book before releasing it.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Yet the Internet is full of trade-published writers complaining that their publisher didn't edit their book before releasing it.
Who are these writers? I work in this industry and I have yet to hear of a recognised publisher failing to to edit work. I am sure that if this was a trend it would have come up at the Frankfurt Book Fair by now. Everything else that affects the industry is discussed - particularly eBooks and Indie authors. Maybe it will come up next month - it starts in mid-October - along with some interesting beer festivals. I will watch for it. (When I am not watching the Frauleins.)
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Oh really? Who are they?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #43
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
And the indy market, probably not even copy-edited, except maybe by friends. And anyone who buys an indy book knows this, and accepts the typos, the clumsily constructed sentences, and forgives the author as long as the story is good.
I don't think that they do accept it, TBH - I think Darkscribe's comment is far closer to the reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
There are two things that are essential to any form of success. An editor, and a good cover design. Even with eBooks, it is the cover that first draws our attention. With so many wannabe critics being unable to do little more than hunt for and pounce upon grammatical or spelling errors, a badly presented book is going to be greeted with a series of one star reviews regardless of its content with regard to plot, characterisation and pace. If one cannot afford an editor, at least find a well educated proof reader. An experienced editor will check for many factors other than grammar and layout; a good proof reader will at least take the wind out of many of the one star grammar vigilantes' sails.
Based on the reviews I've seen posted over the past few years, you're correct. Although I'm not sure that I'd describe these as 'grammar vigilantes', it is true that people seem to be becoming more vigilant about grammar. My personal feeling is that it was something many readers never really 'saw' until it wasn't there. At that point, they realised quite how awful an experience it is to wade through reams of badly spelt, badly punctuated and badly structured sentences. No matter how good the story, I think it's very difficult for a reader to overcome a feeling of being short-changed if they've been made to work hard get anything out of a product on which they have spent time and (possibly) money.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 08-31-2012 at 05:24 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I think you may be the exception, Harry. I find that the first thing I do is look at the cover.
I'm another one of those exceptions. I simply don't care about cover images. I didn't care about them with physical books either. Reviews (or recommendations), product descriptions and prior read authors are the only factors for me when purchasing. Cover art can be quite beautiful sometimes, but it's also usually unrelated—and oftentimes downright misleading—noise. I tend to filter noise wherever possible.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #45
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I believe that editors and proof readers are of great value. However, this is an age of businesses being run on thin margins, and one in which most people couldn't care less about grammar. I suspect that authors will turn to crowd sourcing. Donald Knuth began paying readers for finding errors in his works decades ago. (To the best of my knowledge he also used an editor.)
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote