Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
wooddll
wooddll began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Calibre /Sony 505 Error comunicating with device - HELP

I have a small problem - I cannot add files to my Sony 505 any more -
This started about 3 days ago right after downloading new versions of Calibre.
(I don't know whether this is a causal relationship)

Calibre recognises the Sony but cannot show the contents of the Sony memory or SD card. It does see the SD card.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 with Calibre 7.18 (Dual Core AMD Phenom - 3.4GB Memory)

Gnome 2.32.0 Kernel 2.6.35.28 Generic.

When I try to load a file I get this Calibre message:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/FC30-3DA9__/Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan'

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 67, in run

self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)

File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 338, in _upload_books

metadata=metadata, end_session=False)

File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 182, in upload_books

filepath = self.normalize_path(self.create_upload_path(path, mdata, fname))

File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 879, in create_upload_path

os.makedirs(filedir)

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 157, in makedirs

mkdir(name, mode)

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/FC30-3DA9__/Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan'

WHen I "safely shut down" the USB connection to the Sony I get this Ubuntu message.

Error detaching: helper exited with exit code 1: Detaching device /dev/sdf

USB device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-1)

SYNCHRONIZE CACHE: OK

STOP UNIT: FAILED: No such file or directory

I also tried this on my other machine running Calibre 7.50 on Windows XP SP3

WHen I try to load a file I get this message:

ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 250, in dispatch

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1241, in books_uploaded

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 393, in add_books_to_metadata

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 301, in add_books_to_metadata

AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

When disconnecting the Sony USB I get no error message from Windows.

I have been using Calibre for at least two years and this is the first time I have had ANY kind of problem.

ANY Ideas???

If you think it might be a problem with the newest Calibre, Which version do you suggest that I retreat to??

Thanks in advance - I love the program!

Lawrence
wooddll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe that message indicates a corrupt file system on the Osoy ( which is why it is being mounted read-only).

If I am right you need to run a file system repair on the Sony drive (or reformat it - but that would lose the books on it) and the problem will then go away.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddll View Post
[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/FC30-3DA9__/Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan'
itimpi is correct. Use the Format Internal Memory feature on the 505 under settings - advanced settings. This will wipe out all books in the main memory of you reader so if you need to back them up first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddll View Post
I am running Ubuntu 10.10 with Calibre 7.18 (Dual Core AMD Phenom - 3.4GB Memory)
I also tried this on my other machine running Calibre 7.50 on Windows XP SP3
I think it is time to bring your Ubuntu machine current. Repository versions of calibre are not supported. You can easily install the current version via the Binary install found here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-24-2011 at 08:38 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
wooddll
wooddll began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks to dwanthny and itimpi - I tried reformating the internal memory - no change. I wiped the machine and reinstalled everything - still has the same problem. I thought for a while that it was a flaky SD card so I switched to my wifes 505 and the card works fine.(I keep ebooks on SD cards and we swap them back and forth) - At this point I give up - I can use the wifes machine to load cards and my 505 is in all other ways functional.
Re Ubuntu, I will upgrade Calibre on that machine when am more comfortable with Ubuntu - I have been running Suse for last few years and got tired of fighting with it.
Calibre runs flawlessly on Ubuntu.
wooddll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Gonzo1961
Gonzo1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm having the same type error as wooddll, except that I'm running windows 7. Calibre won't recognize my device and I get a communication error when trying to write to the SD card. I can add books on the MS although Calibre gives me the following error:
calibre, version 0.7.52
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 250, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1241, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 393, in add_books_to_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 301, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

This only started about 1 or 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions?
Gonzo1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error communicating, sony 505