Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Exclamation Editor now sometimes hangs when asked to find/replace

Hi! Two days ago I updated to Calibre 4.21, and since then twice the built in editor has hung when I've been doing a find/replace command. It just sits there, doing nothing until I kill the process and restart the editing session.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm searching and replacing, it just hangs. I've looked at a task manager, its using about 27-34% of the CPU, the numbers fluctuate. This hasn't happened before on the previous builds, Windows 10 and drivers are supposed to be up to date.

Is this a known issue? Is it MY issue? It makes editing epubs frustrating as I have to keep saving in case I need to kill the process.

I'm wondering it it has something to do with the dynamic preview window, trying to update all the instances and just hangs. I've turned off the dynamic preview update, which is frustrating as I usually use it to check my edits - I'll see if that helps.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-25-2020 at 11:20 AM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try exclusing ebook-edit.exe from your antivirus.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Um, how do I do that?

Never mind, figured it out. That'll solve the problem? I hope?

Thank you Kovid! Every new update is a learning curve. And thank you for providing us with a great program!
Old 09-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
VirgoGirl

Okay, so I added the exception to my antivirus for everything to do with Calibre, and it still hangs periodically when I do a search and replace. I've checked the task manager, sometimes it's the QTprocess under the main calibreworker process that's using a lot of the CPU, or it's the process named as the ebook I'm editing, again under the main calibre worker process. The only way to generally - not always - prevent the hang is to keep saving the file after I do major changes. Remove all the spaces between paragraphs, save the file. Change chapter headings, save file. And so on.

I'm still using windows 10, I'm still updated and all my drivers are supposedly updated as is my BIOS.

I don't know if it's because I sometimes keep the Calibre program open for a few days - I always used to keep Calibre open for weeks in the background, now I have to close to get it to not hang or cause THIS issue - or if it's something conflicting between the program and Windows 10.

This is not a "FIX THIS NOW!" post, this is an FYI post. The Calibre in program editor is convenient to use, but I may have to go back to Sigil if I can update the program. Ugh.