Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
TheRedMandrake
TheRedMandrake began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One not immediately responding when opening sleepcover

TLDR : When I wake my KA1 by opening the sleep cover, I have to touch the screen once before the device responds to my inputs. Is that a standard behaviour ?

Hi all,

I own a Kobo Aura One and I am very satisfied so far. However, I have a little problem, and I hope you can help me with it.

I bought a case (this one) for my device. I use the "sleepcover" fonction (the device goes to sleep when I close the cover and wake up when I open it). Everything seems to work fine, except for one little thing:

When my Kobo wakes up, the screen does not respond immediatly. I have to touch it once before I can do anything (turn page, open menu, etc.). Also, if I am at the beginning of a new chapter, the screen goes black for an instant when I first touch it (I think it refreshes itself, since I set my device to "refresh screen every chapter"). Note that the problem occurs only when I woke the Kobo by opening the cover. If I press the power button, everything works fine.

Did you notice a similar behaviour with your own device/sleepcover ? Is it something that I can fix ? (It is not very annoying, but still...) I am using firmware 4.6.10075, since the reading stats don't work with 4.7.10413 (and Kobo stopped the roll out of 4.8.10956).

Thank you for your answers !

Last edited by TheRedMandrake; 05-17-2018 at 07:30 AM.
TheRedMandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
TheRedMandrake

I updated my device to 4.8.11073 today, but the behaviour is still the same...

Nobody got a similar problem with their sleepcover ?

Thank your
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedMandrake View Post
TLDR : When I wake my KA1 by opening the sleep cover, I have to touch the screen once before the device responds to my inputs. Is that a standard behaviour ?
I'm sorry not to be more helpful but, no, it's not standard behaviour for the sleepcover on my KA1. Unless you're describing something like the following, which I get reasonably often ... the flush screen of the KA1 sometimes means that when I open the cover I find that some text is selected because the front cover brushed the screen when I last put it to sleep.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
TheRedMandrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm sorry not to be more helpful but, no, it's not standard behaviour for the sleepcover on my KA1. Unless you're describing something like the following, which I get reasonably often ... the flush screen of the KA1 sometimes means that when I open the cover I find that some text is selected because the front cover brushed the screen when I last put it to sleep.
OK, thanks. At least, I know it is not a standard behaviour. So, I guess the problem is with my cover...

Thank you for your help.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
The only thing the cover has is a magnet to trigger the hal sensor in the reader for it to wake/sleep.
So my guess is that its not the covers fault.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
The only thing the cover has is a magnet to trigger the hal sensor in the reader for it to wake/sleep.
So my guess is that its not the covers fault.
I've seen one aftermarket cover for the Aura One that used a magnet to latch the cover in it's open position flush with the back cover. Unfortunately, the magnet was strong enough and located so that even when the front cover was opened, the back cover magnet could trigger the Hall sensor putting the KA1 back to sleep or preventing it from waking up. Some Mumetal foil between the KA1's back and the cover solved this issue at the cost of adding a few grams to the total weight (and a couple of adhesive bandages to my fingers).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #7
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen one aftermarket cover for the Aura One that used a magnet to latch the cover in it's open position flush with the back cover. Unfortunately, the magnet was strong enough and located so that even when the front cover was opened, the back cover magnet could trigger the Hall sensor putting the KA1 back to sleep or preventing it from waking up. Some Mumetal foil between the KA1's back and the cover solved this issue at the cost of adding a few grams to the total weight (and a couple of adhesive bandages to my fingers).
Yeah ive had that happen before, but in his case it isnt going back to sleep , so that makes me think its not the magnets fault, but who knows could be interfering in some way.

Either way, the best way to definitely check if the cover is to blame, is to get a small magnet and move it close to the sensor until reader goes to sleep, and see if it behaves same without the cover.The sensor should be in the lower right corner(at least its there on my H2O).
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
My reader exhibits the same behavior, albeit not every time. It is definitely waking up and is not going back to sleep (I've seen the going back to sleep pattern a couple of times as well and the screen changes when that happens, while in this case it doesn't).
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #9
TheRedMandrake

Thank you all with your feedback ! I am glad to see that I am not the only one to experience strange behavior with with my sleepcover...

Anyway, it is really not a big annoyance, so I guess I'll just keep it like that (except if someone has an easy solution of course).
Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I have the same behavior with my Aura One and my Kobo sleepcover. It fully wakes when opened (from sleeping), but the first touch is not registered. I suspect this may actually be by design, so that the cover itself, which has enough flexibility that it doesn't always necessarily align perfectly and doesn't have a super strong magnet in the first place, doesn't trigger accidental touches when it's jostling around in your backpack/purse, etc.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote