Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #541
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Wouldn't that name be spelled Ydrys or Ydres in Welsh?

There's a book called "The Citadel" by A. J. Cronin from 1939 about a doctor in a Welsh village.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Citadel_%28novel%29

Last edited by Xanthe; 03-21-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #542
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm looking for a book. It is non-fiction. Business related.

Deals with manufacturing work flow and scheduling in simple terms. I recall one part compares work flow to cars on a highway and a how the gaps increase decrease?

I think the title starts with the word "The". "The Flow", or "The Work ...". Something like that.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #543
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
hi , was looking for some help. have been racking my brain with this but years ago i read a book about a young doctor who went to work in a small welsh village cant remember name of book/author however i do remember the character called idres the milk, also that the doctors landlady painted the bath but didnt tell him and he was stuck to the paint.
very vague i know but google has let me down so if you have any clue please let me know.

cheers, mick.
Not a doctor but a clergyman. The author is Fred Secombe (brother of Sir Harry) and the books are semi-fictionalised autobiography.

The book with the painted bath incident is 'How Green was my Curate'.

Amazon.co.uk Fred Secombe books

I didn't realise until I looked on amazon for a link that he'd written so many - I may have to revisit these myself!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #544
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sir Harry also wrote a funny novel called Welsh Fargo which was pretty good.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #545
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ok I'm attempting to relive some of my earlier days with reading novels which I quite enjoyed. Unfortunately I am stumped on trying to remember the title of the book.

I read it back in 1992/93 in high school (so I assume it is a young adult novel). From what I can remember the story goes along the lines of a kid who had been home schooled by his parents all his life (only child), and when moving to a new town his parents decided to send him to school. It was here where he became the victim of a bully (or bullies), and his father taught him how to defend himself. There was an incident with firecrackers? or something along those lines, and he got stuck with the nickname "Blaster".

With that description I'm probably pushing it up a hill, but I recall the enthusiasm in which my grade 7 english teacher had when it came to reading, and this is one of three (the other two being Hatchet and The Machine Gunners) which he inspired us to read.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #546
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
^ inappropriate post for this thread.

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #547
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
^ inappropriate post for this thread.

What??? It is not! Are you sure this was the thread you intended to post this comment to?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #548
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What??? It is not! Are you sure this was the thread you intended to post this comment to?
There was a spammy post there originally (between orlok's and Solicitous'), that has since been removed.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #549
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There was a spammy post there originally (between orlok's and Solicitous'), that has since been removed.
What he said .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #550
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Makes sense. The last thing we want here is a lot of spam cluttering up the boards. You would think the spammers would give up after awhile, but apparently they don't know when to quit. I'm trying to think of the title of a book I read some time back. This young boy appears out of no where apparently through a door in a hillside or some such and has a greenish tint to his skin. All sorts of problems occur and in the end a helpful family helps him find his way back home and in fact goes with him. I was in middle school or early high school when I first read it. Does anyone here recognize it?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #551
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
This young boy appears out of no where apparently through a door in a hillside or some such and has a greenish tint to his skin. All sorts of problems occur and in the end a helpful family helps him find his way back home and in fact goes with him. I was in middle school or early high school when I first read it. Does anyone here recognize it?
I don't know the book, but it sounds like the author was inspired by the accounts of green children.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #552
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Makes sense. The last thing we want here is a lot of spam cluttering up the boards. You would think the spammers would give up after awhile, but apparently they don't know when to quit. I'm trying to think of the title of a book I read some time back. This young boy appears out of no where apparently through a door in a hillside or some such and has a greenish tint to his skin. All sorts of problems occur and in the end a helpful family helps him find his way back home and in fact goes with him. I was in middle school or early high school when I first read it. Does anyone here recognize it?
I don't remember the title but do remember reading and liking the book or one very similar. I believe there was a cave involved in his apprearance and I think it was set in Kentucky. He could jump really far and the neighbors got curious and dangerous. Same book?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #553
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I don't remember the title but do remember reading and liking the book or one very similar. I believe there was a cave involved in his apprearance and I think it was set in Kentucky. He could jump really far and the neighbors got curious and dangerous. Same book?
I think it might be. His people could travel without needing spaceships or something. I think he says that Earth was cut off because people began to change or something.

Last edited by crich70; 04-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #554
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I think it might be. His people could travel without needing spaceships or something. I think he says that Earth was cut off because people began to change or something.
I'm pretty sure it's The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key. He also wrote Escape to Witch Mountain and a couple of sequels. I think all of his books are considered young adult.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #555
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I'm pretty sure it's The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key. He also wrote Escape to Witch Mountain and a couple of sequels. I think all of his books are considered young adult.
Thanks. I was able to find a searchable copy at Amazon and you're right, that is the book. I hadn't realized he'd written the Witch Mountain book or that there were sequels. First time I read any of the book was in Jr. High and I didn't get to finish it then because it belonged to the school and my family moved. Then yrs later I found a copy (currently missing) and read it through. Alas they don't have it for Kindle at the moment.

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths