Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #526
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiepops09 View Post
hello all been trying to rememeber a book i read but it is driving me mad!! cant recall the author or name so can only describe what the story was about!!

its about a man who finds himself in some sort of pergatory/parallel universe which is in darkness, he finds a bus abandonded and a sort of companion in something he calls dogthing,

he is running from someone called oneeyed jack?? and he has to find pieces of a watch?? to escape

sorry i cant be more specific but the book was written in about 17/18 parts and i never got to finish it so hoping someone can help me out with the name

much appreciated thanks
For once it's one I recognise right away . The book is Diary of the Displaced by Glynn James, a Mobileread and Goodreads member, and was serialised in chapters initially, now available as a novel.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #527
alfiepops09
alfiepops09 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
For once it's one I recognise right away . The book is Diary of the Displaced by Glynn James, a Mobileread and Goodreads member, and was serialised in chapters initially, now available as a novel.
thank you so so much you saved me weeks of going mad lol x
alfiepops09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #528
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad I could help
Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #529
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I can't remember the books, but they were in series - I think the sixth one came out not more than 2 years ago. All of them are rather fat (>600pages).

Anyways, it was about prehistoric times, when humans still had caves, and there was some sort of a war between tribes. There were unknown lands and travel.

Iknow it's an extremely vague description, could you list some ideas - I remember the sixth cover, and would recognize it immediately (it was reddish).
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #530
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Is it the Clan of the Cave Bear series?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #531
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Layers, this sounds like the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel. The first novel is The Clan of the Cave Bear.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #532
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Is it the Clan of the Cave Bear series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Layers, this sounds like the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel. The first novel is The Clan of the Cave Bear.
Yeees, Earth's Children! Thanks to both.
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #533
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Two books from the early 50's.

One has a female character named "Superba". I thought this was from the book Limbo by Bernard Wolfe, but I bought a copy of the book and could not find her in it.

The second is a book about a person who murders someone and that somehow starts him traveling forward in time. Eventually he passes the end of time and returns to the moment of the murder -- inside the victim.

Have googled the Superba name but only flowers come up <g>.

Would really like to reread these books!

Thanks in advance,

UPDATE: Have identified the time travel book - Timeliner by Eric Maine.

Just one left...! Anyone know a book with a female character named "Superba"?

Steve

Last edited by stevesr0; 01-18-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: supplement
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #534
stryker29
stryker29 began at the beginning.

Device: none
what is the name of?

Hello everyone. I apologize in advance if this question is in the wrong spot. I am looking for the name of a short story, possibly from Gardner Dozois' collection or from the annual nebula awards book. It is a storey of a man that volunteers to stay on a space station to witness an alien that oozes a certain substance that prolongs human life. This man has only a computer to keep him company. Ever heard of it? Thanks, Jason
stryker29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #535
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably every child in Britain grows up on a staple reading diet of Enid Blyton books - at least they did in my generation . Her creations - "The Famous Five", "The Secret Seven", etc, are part of our culture, they are so well known. Is she really not known in other countries?
I absolutely adore Enid Blyton...read everything of hers until they fell apart, then begged for new copies. I am in the US, but was living and in school in Freeport (Grand Bahama) for a number of years, so was privy to more British authors than might have been the case otherwise.

Ohhh...for the midnight feasts at Malory Towers and St. Clares...and all the lovely times at Mistletoe Farm. <sniff> I'm quite nostalgic now.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #536
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm trying to remember the name of a book that takes place on a space ship. Two cat like aliens and their intelligent ship's computer are traversing both space and time towards the end of the universe which is then supposed to re-explode into a new universe. Only this time when it goes bang the new beings will be human like beings rather than the present cat like humanoids. I think it was written by C.J. Cherryh but I could be mistaken.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #537
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Anyone know this book?

On Goodreads some time ago I read about a new book coming out that was based around a couple who were getting a second chance together. If I remember the synopsis correctly they had been separated when immigrating or after Titanic (I saw this book around the same time I saw ads for The Dressmaker so I may be getting my time periods a little confused). Anywhoo, they find each other years later and rekindle their marriage. Does that sound familiar to anyone or did I totally dream this thing up?

Moral of this story: if you see a book that looks even remotely interesting-put it on a "To Read" list! ASAP!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #538
Marj
Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by victauria View Post
I absolutely adore Enid Blyton...read everything of hers until they fell apart, then begged for new copies. I am in the US, but was living and in school in Freeport (Grand Bahama) for a number of years, so was privy to more British authors than might have been the case otherwise.

Ohhh...for the midnight feasts at Malory Towers and St. Clares...and all the lovely times at Mistletoe Farm. <sniff> I'm quite nostalgic now.
Australian children also grew up on them. Not any more. It appears she became politically incorrect, I'm not sure why. Because the villains were all swarthy maybe? Because what she wrote of as normal is now perceived as snobbery?
Marj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #539
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj View Post
Australian children also grew up on them. Not any more. It appears she became politically incorrect, I'm not sure why. Because the villains were all swarthy maybe? Because what she wrote of as normal is now perceived as snobbery?
I heard various things about her use of Golliwogs, and also (presumably, but not necessarily, less seriously) comments about Noddy and Big Ears (although this even makes it into Wikipedia). All stupid stupid stuff.

Her books were read to us in school, I remember being impatient for the next chapter in the Magic Faraway Tree. At home we had a book of Brer Rabbit tales that was a real favourite, and I remember being so proud when I finished my first novel in just one day - it was one of the Famous Five series. She was an important part of my growing love of reading.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #540
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
Question Trying to find a book

hi , was looking for some help. have been racking my brain with this but years ago i read a book about a young doctor who went to work in a small welsh village cant remember name of book/author however i do remember the character called idres the milk, also that the doctors landlady painted the bath but didnt tell him and he was stuck to the paint.
very vague i know but google has let me down so if you have any clue please let me know.

cheers, mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths