Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quality/speed of scanned PDF/DjVu rendering?

I mainly want to get an ebook reader for the purpose of reading textbooks and scientific articles.

Especially older articles (mid nineties and before) tend to be scanned pages bunched together into a PDF. The rendering of these is rather slow on my computer. Sometimes I convert the PDF to DjVu, because the DjVu readers tend to be faster at rendering the pages.

Also, especially many older text books do not actually contain text, but, at best, OCR'd scans. This obviously takes drains quite some performance as well.

So I wonder - how does the PocketBook perform on these tasks? With the newest announcement of the 902/903 series, I am really really eager to get one of those devices into my hands. But I wonder, will I have a reasonable reading experience of the material described above, or will it all be a huge pain, having to wait several seconds until a page is displayed?

(I am aware there is no 10" version available yet, but as far as I know the PocketBook readers available right now do support DjVu and PDF.)
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I read PDF's made out of CBZ files (i.e. I convert manga into PDF). I'm quite satisfied with Pocketbook 360's speed, though of course I'd like more real estate to be able to read manga without having to use landscape mode and divide each page in two.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Thanks for the info! In fact, there are a couple of posts on that topic available both on this forums as well as the internet.

I found this interesting blog entry:
http://philikon.wordpress.com/2009/0...books-to-djvu/

Guess I have just try and see for myself. :-)
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote