Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Porkus73
Porkus73 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Looking to move from ibooks to marvin

Hi,

I'm looking to move from ibooks on the ipad to Marvin.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there still a 1000 book limit when importing epubs from Dropbox?

2) Within ibooks I have my library in list view and sorted by category and then title. So I have separate categories for such things as sport, films, history etc with books grouped into these categories. I have installed Marvin and imported some books and as far as I can tell there is no way to assign a category to a book and then set it to sort by category and then title. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks
Porkus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In Marvin you can assign books to one or more collections and you can select a collection and see just those books but you can not sort your books by collection.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Some more info about "User Collections":

If you create User Collections you can display a list that shows all your collections and the number of books in each collection. For example:

Films_____ 11
History____ 3
Medicine__ 15
Science____ 7
Sports_____ 5

If you then select "History" you would see all the books in the collection:

Ancient Roman Aqueducts - Marcus Vitruvius
Civil War Strategy - Ulysses Grant
World War II Battles - George Patton

You can sort the books in the collection by title, author, series, etc.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Porkus73
Porkus73 began at the beginning.

Hi,

Thankyou for the responses I will check these out.
Porkus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't it the case that categories in iBooks correspond to "subjects and tags" (but not collections) in Marvin 3? So there's really no way to directly assign tags to a book in Marvin? And thus asking collections to do the job of tags is the only workaround to solve Porkus73's modest requirement?

I thought there is at least another workaround--assigning tags in calibre, and then downloading your books to Marvin from calibre.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Isn't it the case that categories in iBooks correspond to "subjects and tags" (but not collections) in Marvin 3? So there's really no way to directly assign tags to a book in Marvin? And thus asking collections to do the job of tags is the only workaround to solve Porkus73's modest requirement?

I thought there is at least another workaround--assigning tags in calibre, and then downloading your books to Marvin from calibre.
Not really. First, categories in iBooks is purely a iBooks thing, it's not embedded in the ebook meta data like a tag is. Categories in iBooks is simply a way to group books together. You can use collections in Marvin and Calibre to do the same thing. If the information is embedded in the tag metadata, then both Calibre and Marvin will pick it up and put it in the tags field.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
... If the information is embedded in the tag metadata, then both Calibre and Marvin will pick it up and put it in the tags field.
Many books have several tags in the metadata. A large library could have hundreds of different tags.

Here's an easy way to use tags as "categories" and have them appear at the top of Marvin's alphabetical list of "Subjects and tags":

Prefix each "category tag" with a hyphen:
-Films
-History
-Sports

Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iBooks have both collections and categories. While categories correspond to categories/subjects/tags in many apps, collections correspond to collections/sets in many apps too. Sometimes, you can use either collection or category for grouping, but there are cases where it is preferable to use both mechanism at the same time rather than settling to use "collection only" as a workaround, especially due to deficiency and/or inconvenience of the apps.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated

Fortunately, Marvin is a convenient app with an abundance of features.

It has a "Subject and tags" list capability and a "Collections" capability that can be used independently or both at the same time.