Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
markcope
markcope began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
Unbelievable PRS600 Problem!

I decided to buy 2 Sony PRS600s, one in black and the other in silver, for my wife and I. Due to stock problems, I had to get them from 2 different stores…
The first one arrived and worked for one day, then got stuck on the Welcome screen, with no ability to use the touch screen. It had been charged via the Sony charger, but the battery seemed to drain fairly rapidly. All I could do was either switch it to standby or do a hard/soft reset. It could be seen by my PC and files transferred to it. Reading this forum didn’t help fix my problem, so I contacted Sony, but they couldn’t fix it online. I sent it back to the store and am waiting for a replacement.
The second one I purchased arrived a few days later. After re-charging it, I turned it on and you guessed it, it wouldn’t get past the welcome screen!!! It is the exact same problem as the first one I got, except that this one wouldn’t even work out of the box.
Has anyone experienced any of the above symptoms on their 600 and if so, how did they sort it out? I could imagine something I did to the first one may have caused an issue, but the second wasn’t working from the start and has the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as one is a Christmas present for my wife and it is probably too late to get it replaced for Christmas.
markcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive me for asking, but after the initial welcome screen it goes into a screen calibration routine, and you can't get any further until you've completed that. Have you done so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
markcope

On the first 600, I got the calibration screen when I first switched the unit on, after charging it. Then, after a day, it stuck at the welcome screen after doing a hard reset to fix a problem with it. The second 600 won't even get into the calibration mode, it just locks st the welcome screen, like the fist one did after a days use. I can't use any of the buttons for menu etc, except to do do a hard reset. The second one has had no use at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure that it's charged? Did you leave it connected until the light went out? You weren't trying to charge it with a USB wall charger, were you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
markcope

Thanks for trying to help me. I charged it with the Sony charger for 6 hours, I don't use the USB cable for charging, based on what I read in these forums. The unit has the full charge indication (all black bars).
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Sharkpro
Sharkpro began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I'm on my fourth 600. They work for a month then do not. I know the soft and hard resets by heart. Just called today and they didn't even get me to a technician. Said they would send another (number 5) out today. I smell recall!
Sharkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
namasteindia
namasteindia began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 sony
my PRS 600 is made in china they are all like chinese made toys....good looking but totally disfunctional
what a waste of money it cost me $300 and extra
namasteindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
My first one had a problem after several weeks. I bought directly from Sony.

They sent me a new one, and it is going strong after more than a year.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
My 600 works flawlessly despite being terrorized for several month with custom firmware.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote