Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 AM   #16
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Expect a lot of ebook promotions and discounts from the "big 5" in times to come.
I will say, I have a large wishlist, probably 200+ kindle unlimited eligible ebooks, and there has been a lot of them that have gone temporarily free recently.

The much shorter wishlist of ebooks not eligible for Kindle Unlimited hasn't seen much of anything since when Children of Ruin went down to $7.99 for about 10 days in late February. Which is still a bit much for me for the most part.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #17
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Good overview on how libraries (and some publishers) are pivoting to meet digital needs. A small, mean part of me sort of wishes they’d keep up the Macmillan embargo so they’d be standing on the other side of the glass wall this time, watching the newly released tide of funding wash right by them...but that would be petty and a nose/spite kind of thing and I’m probably cranky from sitting on the sofa too long these last few weeks.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...y-e-books.html
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #18
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I'm glad to see that they had to make an about-face on that one, but they may have only done that because the current situation warrants it - for them to really profit off our libraries being shut down and eBooks being our only lending option at this time.

I'd also be curious to see the stats for eBook lending over this month and the coming months. I'm hoping this may help give the eBook industry a nice little boost... but would still rather it was not at the expense of the local/independent bookstores.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
I want them to bring back the single perpetual copy. Years after the popular books that had subscriptions for 10 or 15 copies, that lone copy is there forever. It makes the digital library deeper than what librarians would select on their own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:46 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I want them to bring back the single perpetual copy.
Oh, yes. It’s so frustrating when you look for a book to find that they used to have a digital copy, but no longer. The single perpetual copy more than made up for the eight-week embargo, IMO. I don’t care much how long I have to wait for a book as long as I can get it eventually.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Most of the authors whose books I get from the library, come up as not being listed, whereas they used to have pages of their books to read.

Such as Nalini Singh, Shelley Laurenston, GA Aiken, Patricia Briggs...etc.

Now that their books have been wiped out, it looks like the library can't/won't get them back.

Which makes this whole non embargo useless to me.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Nalini Singh is published by Penguin Random House (except for her contemporary series which she self-publishes). I think they limit their checkouts to 26 per license then the library can renew. The renewal used to be a bit less, but I am not sure of that's still the case.

It's odd that all of her books would be gone at once though.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #23
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using OverDrive to go to the Boston Public Library, when the embargo went into effect, just about every major writer like those I named above, books were all removed including back lists and have not yet come back. Thank god for self published books, unless things change, I'm done with all the BPH.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Using OverDrive to go to the Boston Public Library, when the embargo went into effect, just about every major writer like those I named above, books were all removed including back lists and have not yet come back. Thank god for self published books, unless things change, I'm done with all the BPH.
A bit odd that the local to me public libraries I have access to do not seem to have removed any of the authors you mentioned from their available ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A bit odd that the local to me public libraries I have access to do not seem to have removed any of the authors you mentioned from their available ebooks.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you're in Canada and cfrizz is in the US?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, yes. It’s so frustrating when you look for a book to find that they used to have a digital copy, but no longer. The single perpetual copy more than made up for the eight-week embargo, IMO. I don’t care much how long I have to wait for a book as long as I can get it eventually.
I agree that it is better to have at least one copy then to have 0 of 0. I could wait 8 weeks for the library to get more copies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I’ve got a BPL card and I just searched on Nalini Singh and got 96 hits.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Most of the authors whose books I get from the library, come up as not being listed, whereas they used to have pages of their books to read.

Such as Nalini Singh, Shelley Laurenston, GA Aiken, Patricia Briggs...etc.

Now that their books have been wiped out, it looks like the library can't/won't get them back.

Which makes this whole non embargo useless to me.
I just searched at BPL for Patricia Briggs and I got 32 ePiub eBooks and 24 audiobooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #29
cfrizz
Wizard

This is what comes up for me for Nalini Singh.

http://https://bpl.overdrive.com/search/creatorId?query=190942&sortBy=newlyadded

This comes up for Patricia Briggs.

https://bpl.overdrive.com/search/cre...tBy=newlyadded

I discovered that I have to go directly through BPL and not Overdrive in order to see the books and request a hold. THANKS!!!!

Last edited by cfrizz; 04-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #30
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
I discovered that I have to go directly through BPL and not Overdrive in order to see the books and request a hold. THANKS!!!!
I've found I have to do that at a couple of my libraries. I thought I was just doing something wrong!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote