Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #31
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Mmmm .... I don't know how things work, but I do know that they're a tad confusing!

Based on my 'old' library screen I haven't bought a book for that account since May 2015, but my 'new' library screen informs me that I bought 32 books on the 24th April, 2016. Clearly tosh!

And I didn't import any of my Sony account books to Kobo, so that can't account for it, and they are a mixture of DRM, DRM free and 'Buy now' .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Mmmm .... I don't know how things work, but I do know that they're a tad confusing!

Based on my 'old' library screen I haven't bought a book for that account since May 2015, but my 'new' library screen informs me that I bought 32 books on the 24th April, 2016. Clearly tosh!

And I didn't import any of my Sony account books to Kobo, so that can't account for it, and they are a mixture of DRM, DRM free and 'Buy now' .....
The column is "Date added', not "Date Purchased". While it is reasonable to assume that the date added is the same as the purchased date, there is something else going on. The delete and re-add might change it. But, in this case, I think that Kobo is doing cleanup of the database or rebuilding it and are losing the date. Or it was never stored in the first place and has now been set to when the process was run.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #33
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The column is "Date added', not "Date Purchased". While it is reasonable to assume that the date added is the same as the purchased date, there is something else going on. The delete and re-add might change it. But, in this case, I think that Kobo is doing cleanup of the database or rebuilding it and are losing the date. Or it was never stored in the first place and has now been set to when the process was run.
Thanks David . Yeah, it's difficult to follow because the remaining 200 or thereabouts appear to have relevant dates.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 AM   #34
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Well this is weird. In one of my accounts I had a discrepancy in the count so I laboriously typed them into a spreadsheet (why, oh why, did I not bother to record this info in Calibre originally ).

I had a few books in the new library screen that didn't have a download option but had the purchase price listed and highlighted.

I became very frazzled at the loss of a few expensive books until on checking Calibre and my receipts finding that one had been purchased from Amazon and one had been purchased from Google. Another I am pretty convinced I had looked at but had never purchased at all as I was waiting for a price drop.

The upshot is that I had *never* purchased these from Kobo at all

I think Kobo is being more Kobo than it usually is - and that's saying something!

Last edited by cadele; 05-01-2016 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Left out a word
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:50 AM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks for the heads up I'll see what mine says later. I always download and add to Calibre any purchases anyway, plus I save the ePub or Adobe file in a separate folder, and only sync to my kobo using Calibre so I'm not too bothered tbh.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked mine and they were all there. In fact there was one book I hadn't downloaded to Calibre so thanks again for the heads up
Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #37
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Well, looks like I have my project for the day. 106 fewer books in the new library than in the old. Sigh!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #38
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Are you talking about the reader on the computer screen?

I found more books in my library on the Glo. Apparently Kobo is now downloading previews of things you might find interesting and making it very hard to get rid of them. You can click "not interested" and "clear" and nothing deletes.

I found the whole recommended mess in the file on the computer for the online reader. All recommended have been deleted. The category "recommended" is now gone from the Glo itself.

Kobo is now stating that it takes control of your SD card, not you. It also took a couple of tries to turn off the wifi. Sync is not enabled.

Wifi and sync are always off, so all this mess just happened yesterday when I did buy a book.

It did leave most of my books. I had a lot of the old freebies from Gutenberg and Smashwords. Also a few from Baen and Amazon. I also have quite a few technical PDFs and books.

Have to back everything up to Calibre, and now find an e-reader that does it my way.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
I found more books in my library on the Glo. Apparently Kobo is now downloading previews of things you might find interesting and making it very hard to get rid of them. You can click "not interested" and "clear" and nothing deletes.
That sounds like the recommendations not the previews. Selecting "Not interested" will tell Kobo you aren't interested in that book. It isn't immediately removed from the list, but will not be there when you next open the recommendations. "Clear" is in case you change you mind before closing the list.
Quote:
I found the whole recommended mess in the file on the computer for the online reader. All recommended have been deleted. The category "recommended" is now gone from the Glo itself.
I'm not sure what you mean unless you are syncing via the desktop application. In that case, if you marked all the recommendations as "Not interested", then the recommendations tile might be removed on the device. But, another sync will bring it back.
Quote:
Kobo is now stating that it takes control of your SD card, not you.
What do you mean by this? The first time you insert the SD card, there will be a message about the device using the card if it gets full. It's been ages since I did that, so I don't remember the wording. Nothing has changed about how this works. You can take it out an use it in another device with no problems. Or sideload directly to it when it is in the device.

Are you seeing something different to this? If so, can you start a new thread to discuss it.
Quote:
It also took a couple of tries to turn off the wifi. Sync is not enabled.
That is definitely not my experience. Tap the off and WiFi is off.
Quote:
Wifi and sync are always off, so all this mess just happened yesterday when I did buy a book.
Exactly what is "this mess"? Other than what is happening with the new "My Library", nothing has changed. There is no new firmware or desktop application, so nothing has changed at that end.
Quote:
It did leave most of my books. I had a lot of the old freebies from Gutenberg and Smashwords. Also a few from Baen and Amazon. I also have quite a few technical PDFs and books.

Have to back everything up to Calibre, and now find an e-reader that does it my way.
Well, it's very unlikely that you will ever find a device that does it your way. But, I think your complaints are about how the sync to the Kobo server works. If that is the case, that is definitely in Kobo's hands. If you don't like it, then stop doing it. Download the books and sideload them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #40
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think this change is a step backward, I hope they are going to return the missing functionality of the Trash folder in some form.
For now at least, I can still get to the trash folder here:
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/trash/index.html

(Available from the Trash link on the old library page too:
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/library.html)

A freebie I deleted from the new library also showed up there, and undeleting from there put it back in the new library. Haven't risked it with a purchased book, but I assume it would be the same.

@Alpha o
No unwanted previews have downloaded to my Kobo h2o. Although there is a book I actually own that is now only showing as a preview. I can see it in my purchase history and the old library (w/o a download button), but not in the new library at all.

Last edited by lkmiller; 05-01-2016 at 10:19 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This thread is making me glad all my kobo books are freebies.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #42
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Me too.

It's also confusing me. The library page in my Kobo account looks nothing like the screenshots early in this thread. Are they from the website, or from the computer app?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #43
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Me too.

It's also confusing me. The library page in my Kobo account looks nothing like the screenshots early in this thread. Are they from the website, or from the computer app?
That is how the website library on Kobo.com looks for me. I don't use the desktop app. You now download the books to your PC by selecting the three circles then Export.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #44
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
That is how the website library on Kobo.com looks for me. I don't use the desktop app. You now download the books to your PC by selecting the three circles then Export.
Huh. Odd, my library on the website hasn't changed appearance/layout at all. i don't use the desktop app either. I used to download them to my PC from the website and upload via Calibre, but now that I have a Kobo eReader I just use the cloud.

I'm thinking I should keep an eye on this though, just in case it suddenly changes for me as well.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #45
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
For now at least, I can still get to the trash folder here:
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/trash/index.html

(Available from the Trash link on the old library page too:
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/library.html)

A freebie I deleted from the new library also showed up there, and undeleting from there put it back in the new library. Haven't risked it with a purchased book, but I assume it would be the same.
Thanks, I have tested it with a purchased book and the old library pages still work okay as far as I can tell. I think the old and new library pages must just be different interfaces to the same database, so as long as they leave the old ones accessible then nothing has been lost.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote