Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In my humble opinion

In my not so humble opinion.
IMHO = In my humble opinion
IMNSHO = In my not-so humble opinion
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This depends very much on the construction of the reader.
There are hardly any problems with a device with a completely underlaid display module and Asahi Glass surface (Boox Poke 3).
You should only not drop it.
It's not the screen's surface that gets broken. It's the glass subliterate that gets broken. So this Asahi surface is not going to make the glass substrate any stronger.

If Onyx Boox wants the Poke 3 to be that much harder to break the screen, then they should be using a Mobius screen with a plastic substrate. That is the hardest eInk screen to break and that I can see going in a pocket. It's the ones with the glass substrate I would not put in a pocket.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Prove it.
Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
e-ink screen ARE fragile.
Managed to break one (my gen3), despite being careful with my stuff. Though there was a clear mark on the case, proof that the reader had taken a hit, even if I can't say when or how. Since then, I put the reader inside the bag, rather than the front pocket. Maybe the screen did got hit, or the bag the reader is in, and you don't remember. Or the way you put stuff in you bag means that the opus is indeed submitted to pressure.
Then, there is still the possibility of a defective screen.
Hey /r/books, which ereader can take the most punishment?

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...kind_of_easily
Quote:
I've broken a good number of them. I think 3. I've also had 2 stolen. I keep buying them.

I've had one or 2 breaks that were quite surprising. Nothing at all intensive happening. Once, I put it in my back pocket (yes, it was in a case) and walked down the street a few blocks. When I took it out, busted screen. Once, I put it in the outside pocket of my tool back (In the same case) and when I took it out 5 minutes later, cracked. the third, well, I kinda stepped on it. That one was my bad.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
that proves nothing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
that proves nothing.
Can you find proof to the contrary?
Old 05-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, you did read those examples? Four broken devices, only one clothes pocket (the other two pockets where in some sort of bag), not much evidence of what you are pushing. And you had to go back nine years to find them. Not great evidence to support your theory.

Honestly, those are really just examples that just prove that e-ink devices with glass substrate are more fragile than other devices. Personally, I put my Libra H2O or Clara HD in my front pants pocket or my jacket pocket most days during my commute. Both are in perfect condition. And much safer in my pocket than if I carried them in my hand through a crowded railway station. Or getting on and off the train.

Jon, it's time to give this a rest. Just like you statement that, "6" might be smaller, it' not as nice to read with as a 7" is also BS or just your personal opinion. My finding was that the Aura H2O was to bulky when compared to the Glo HD and it wasn't worth it for the extra screen space. But, the Aura ONE didn't feel bigger so the extra screen space worked. Similarly the Forma was a well. As to the Libra H2O, it is only the buttons that make it potentially better for me than the Clara HD. I read equally on them. It is split basically between kepubs (either purchased or sideloaded) on the Libra H2O and epubs on the Clara HD. That is my experience. But, all you have to do is see how popular the 5" Mini still is to see how flawed your statement is.

Note: The reading split between the devices is pretty much accidental. If anything, it is related to experimenting and when I have reset devices more than anything else. And I hadn't realised until I writing it that I wasn't reading epubs on the Libra H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Some do like the 6" or 5" screen. But a lot are going with the Libra, Forma, Oasis, and other larger screen models from other companies. So I do think that the prevalence of screens larger then 6" is getting more popular.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #38
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some do like the 6" or 5" screen. But a lot are going with the Libra, Forma, Oasis, and other larger screen models from other companies. So I do think that the prevalence of screens larger then 6" is getting more popular.
The best selling Kindle is and has been for many years the 6" Paperwhite. It's a bit harder to figure out what the best selling Kobo is but I'm betting on the Clara HD. Larger screens certainly sell enough to keep making them but we haven't seen a replacement of large screen sizes over all others like with smartphones so I don't think larger screens are dominant in the eReader space.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Are you sure that is the reason? All three of the devices you mention have page turning button. Maybe that is why people are buying them.

They also have a wide bezel on one long side. Maybe people like that more than way the 6" ereaders are built.

You have no proof for you claim. And we have plenty of people here stating they prefer the 6" readers to make your statement questionable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure that is the reason? All three of the devices you mention have page turning button. Maybe that is why people are buying them.

They also have a wide bezel on one long side. Maybe people like that more than way the 6" ereaders are built.

You have no proof for you claim. And we have plenty of people here stating they prefer the 6" readers to make your statement questionable.
And the paperwhite and Clara aren't waterproof.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #41
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
"Real"? The books I read on my Libra are not imaginary. There was a time when "books" were the "ebooks" of their day, after all.
Baz2004 simply meant that many people are in still in the habit of reading physical, printed books rather than reflowing electronic ones. And there are certain books that can't reflow without ceasing to be the books the authors wrote. Derrida's Glas is one example; Roussel's New Impressions of Africa is another (I learned about the Roussel when I tried to replace my physical copy with the ebook; the system of hundreds of parens within parens doesn't work without pages to flip).

You could say that PDFs cover the non-reflowable content, and I'd agree with you personally, but someone else's preferences are not an offense against mine or yours.

Anyway.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All three of the devices you mention have page turning button. Maybe that is why people are buying them. . . . And we have plenty of people here stating they prefer the 6" readers. . . .
Without intending any disrespect to JSWolf, I would agree with your points. I find the Clara esp. convenient, as I did the Sony PRS-350 years ago. Both ereaders function effectively as electronic paperbacks.

Our subjective preferences probably shouldn't be taken as objective truths, even if the majority of consumers agree with us. And to be honest, I'm not sure that the majority agrees with any of us. Otherwise, Kobo e-readers would have the level of popularity they deserve.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-23-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you do need to read with a larger text size because of some eye problem(s), then a larger then 6" Reader is what's wanted. If I did have an eye condition that required me to read larger text, I would go with the Forma.

I didn't know how much more I would like the larger screen until I tried it and now that I have, I don't want to go back to 6". That could be the same with a lot of people. It could be they look at the larger screen and think it's too larger but may like it if they actually get to try it. We just don't know.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #43
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
It's not the screen's surface that gets broken. It's the glass subliterate that gets broken. So this Asahi surface is not going to make the glass substrate any stronger.
Did you understand?
Quote:
There are hardly any problems with a device with a completely underlaid display module and Asahi Glass surface (Boox Poke 3)
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Did you understand?
That's because there are a lot less of the Boox Poke 3 out there then say a Kindle PW3 or Kobo Clara HD.