Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
another Kindle US spend $20 get $5 offer, Nov 27 - Dec 4

Kindle US is running another of their spend $xx on ebooks, get $xx credit on ebooks offers...

For me it's buy $20, get a $5 credit, but sometimes in the past the amounts have varied for different people.

This one appeared as a banner on my Kindle US webpage, but I haven't seen an email for it - at least as of now. Sometimes the emails seem to lag the banners by quite a while.

It says it's invitation-only, so check your email and/or visit the Kindle US store and look for the banner.

And the offer has to be activated, but it is retroactive for purchases within the date range, which is kind of nice of them...

YMMV, but it's probably worth taking a look - especially if you have some books that never go on sale sitting on your wish list.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If one spends exactly $20 (a difficult proposition), then one gets back exactly $5 (25%) in credit to purchase more ebooks.

It's a good deal if your Wish List is getting somewhat lengthy, or to save just a little bit of money (or, possibly, spend a little bit more money).

Then there is the wit who will say that spending $20 isn't saving money at all: It's spending $20.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
thank you for posting, I just activated it, not sure if I will actualy use it but it's nice to have the option. I will look in my wishlist to see if there is something that I want right now.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I activated it, but I just cleaned out my wishlist with that recent offer we had. I think it was buy $60 get $30? Or something like that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I activated it, but I just cleaned out my wishlist with that recent offer we had. I think it was buy $60 get $30? Or something like that.
I'll give you a portion of my Wish List.
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
At its best, and it's a practical impossibility, it amounts to a 20% discount on $25 worth of books, but it means you have to spend exactly $20 and then exactly $5. A discount that isn't cash on the barrelhead, but has to be spent on more product, needs to reflect the total outlay including the credit. In other words, although they'll give you $5 which reflects 25% of the $20 outlay, the percentage of the discount has to reflect the everything that needs to be spent to take advantage of it.

For me, it's really only a good deal if I were about to pull the trigger anyway. A discount that most likely falls somewhere between 15% and 20% isn't all that compelling. Decent, but not terrific.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Hey, everyone...I'm in luck. I'm a big fan of novellas and this publisher - Nouvella - has 4 titles each for $5.00 that I have on my Wish List. This is a literary publisher, by the way.

If I decide to get these 4 (total: $20.00), then that will qualify me for the 25% ($5) in credit!

I'm seriously considering it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-30-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lucky you , I never got that biggish one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Old 11-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I always have a few titles on my wish list that I am pretty sure will never go on sale - usually non-fiction, but also some books from a couple of smallish mystery publishers who so rarely discount that it might as well be never. So I'm willing to take this type of (admittedly small) discount and pull the trigger.

I'll wait until Dec 3, to see how much I spend on Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale titles, and then pick a title or two from the wishlist to finish it out. And I buy enough from Kindle that it won't be a problem using the credit.

Sure, it's not a big discount, but it's nice that it can "work" on anything...
Old 11-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

It only shrinks from 25% to less the more one initially purchases.

Remember, the purchase point is $20 - as stated in the header by the OP and verified by the email sent to me - and not $25.

BUT, spend more than 20 bucks and the percentage credit awarded to you begins to decrease. Keep in mind that it's very, very, very, very difficult to spend only 20 bucks to maximize that 25% savings represented by $5 in credit to your account (due to the way Amazon prices ebooks), but it CAN be done. (See my post above.)

The thing to do, I would suggest, is try to get as close to that dream figure of $20, and then wait for another sale like this.....perhaps around Christmas?

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-30-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Sure, it's not a big discount, but it's nice that it can "work" on anything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It only shrinks from 25% to less the more one initially purchases.

Remember, the purchase point is $20 - as stated in the header by the OP and verified by the email sent to me - and not $25.

BUT, spend more than 20 bucks and the percentage credit awarded to you begins to decrease. Keep in mind that it's very, very, very, very difficult to spend only 20 bucks to maximize that 25% savings represented by $5 in credit to your account (due to the way Amazon prices ebooks), but it CAN be done.
For the sake of clarity, there's a difference between a discount and a credit. The $5 savings is a maximum 25% credit of the initial purchase, but it's a maximum 20% discount/savings. The terms are not interchangeable. And since by the terms of the offer, the savings has to be spread across two different purchases, that further drives down the amount of the credit/discount, both, unless you can hit both marks exactly. To put it into simple terms, if you spend $15 on $20 worth of books, you've saved 25%. But if you spend $20 on $25 worth of books, you save 20%. The credit is worthless without that second purchase, so you have to include it in your calculations.

Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but I think it's important to be accurate in sussing out offers, and Amazon's game here is to present the credit as a bigger discount than it actually is both in absolute terms and in practical terms. Or, it's fun with numbers.

For me, it's the required second purchase that's the biggest stumbling block to the offer. I do have pricey books on my wishlist that never get cheaper, and I'd be tempted to get whatever discount I could. But I don't have a $5-ish wishlist item to give full value to making actual use of the offer. At that price, I've generally bought them if I really wanted them anyway. So if I have to apply the credit to some $35 worth of books (since the first book has to be $20 or so, the overall discount has dropped below 15%. Better than nothing, but....

Heads up: You have to use the credit within 21 days of having it applied to your account, so don't wait until Christmas Eve unless you've made your purchase the last day of the offer!

Last edited by issybird; 11-30-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Everyone:

1) Spend the $20 (ebooks) and get 25% in credit ($5) in your account toward the purchase of more ebooks.

2) Spend more than $20 and your percentage decreases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-11-28-at-7.38.54-PM-1.png
Views:	205
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	175247  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-30-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Yep, but you can't spin that into a 25% discount or savings, no matter how hard you try and how many times you make that point. When you must spend a minimum of $25, your maximum discount is 20%. So when people are talking discounts and you're talking credit, it's apples and origins. In other words, precentages apply to discounts after all outlays are taken into account but a credit is a flat sum. And nobody can save 25% on this deal. No point in passing around Amazon's Kool-aid after drinking it yourself.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Because I'm having fun with this as aa marketing ploy, I'm going to play with it a bit more. I know everyone has moved on!

Amazon in effect is saying, "Spend at least $25 on ebooks and we'll take $5 off and you have to do it in two transactions with specified minimums, to boot. The 25% is window-dressing and irrelevant; it's a virtually impossible value to realize in any case. It's just an intentionally deceptive way of making a $5 flat credit toward a future purchase look more valuable than it is. As consumers, we want to watch out for attempts on the parts of merchants to make us think we're getting more than we are; it's good to check out the underlying realities on promotions.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Hey, Mobilereaders looking for a great bargain, here's some information on this great sale. The link below will fill out some of the details as first mentioned by the OP.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/5-cred...-spend-amazon/

I have no affiliation with Amazon - except that they love my credit card! I just love great bargains!