Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Is there an easy way to see what column you're in?

I've switched the colors so I can easily see what row I'm in when using Calibre, and which book v or doubleclick will open.

But I have to try to see the column header text to see which column I'm in.

Is there a way to make this more visible, so it's easier to edit the right metadata? I often end up keying in the wrong column.

Sorry, wrong forum, can't move or delete.

Last edited by MarjaE; 03-10-2020 at 06:19 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I've switched the colors so I can easily see what row I'm in when using Calibre, and which book v or doubleclick will open.

But I have to try to see the column header text to see which column I'm in.

Is there a way to make this more visible, so it's easier to edit the right metadata? I often end up keying in the wrong column.

Sorry, wrong forum, can't move or delete.
Can you post a screen shot, this is what I see in Windows light and dark mode. The current row and cell colours are the same in both - 2 Shades of Blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-11 093539.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	177630 Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-11 093118.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	177631

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think so, I'll see how this goes. I have one shade of red. It used to be one faint shade of green.

P.S. Switching to Calibre style instead of system default, there's a slight but still hard-to-see difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 8.28.18 PM.png
Views:	125
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	177659  

Last edited by MarjaE; 03-11-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't see any difference, like you I had to look at the header to see what was italicised, that would drive me nuts.

What happens if you use the default colour settings on the Mac?

BR
Old 03-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

With Calibre Style, some colors give decent contrast, others don't.

With System Default, no contrast.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
With Calibre Style, some colors give decent contrast, others don't.
Windows doesn't offer much choice with colors, apart from "high contrast" palettes. I don't know where the two tone blue comes from, Qt probably.

Quote:
With System Default, no contrast.
Ditto Windows, no contrast, just a very faint 1px cell border, can't get Dark Mode either. FWIW, I checked version 2.85 - same deal, no contrast on current cell.

BR
Old 03-15-2020, 02:26 AM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

So if I use system default, I can't see what cell I'm in. If I don't use system default, I can't see the scrollbar position.

I wonder if there are any plugins or other ways to adjust the appearance beyond those two settings. I mean, there are ways to switch some icons, but I could use:

1. A visible scroll indicator,

2. A visible cell indicator at the same time, and

3. A way to disable animations, since even with "disable animations" checked, a lot of plugins fire status-update animations in the lower right corner.

If only one highlight color is available, an option to highlight the whole column as well as the whole row would x the spot.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to see visible scrollbars turn them on in the macOS Preferences, IIRC calibre respects those.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

I have them turned on.

If Calibre follows "System Default," the scrollbars are visible, but which column I'm in isn't visible.

If Calibre follows "Calibre Style," the scrollbars themselves are visible, but the scrollers/thumbs/things in each scrollbar are at best barely visible, and often invisible due to glare, although which column I'm in is now visible.

The scrollbars have a light gray scroller, with a light gray outline, on a light gray scrollbar.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 AM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

I see posts about using user css to customize the viewer, is there a similar option to customize Calibre itself?

P.S. I have also tried tweaking system settings-- I can't find a way to set 2 highlight colors in System Default, or make the scroller visible in Calibre View-- and monitor settings. No luck.

Last edited by MarjaE; 03-27-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Tags
accessibility, calibre, library viewer