Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2020, 02:55 AM   #1
maxsteinfeld
maxsteinfeld began at the beginning.

Device: none
suggestion: renaming of images and html files

What i mean:
If you click e.g. on an image file in the "Images"-directory, would it be possible, to change the name immediately without calling up the context menu (right click) ?
function would then be the same as in e.g. MS Windows Explorer.
regards
M
maxsteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
So if I click on a name in BookBrowser, you want it to allow me to change the name instead of requiring a left-click? That would make selecting files to open in the TabManager virtually impossible.

Also, it is not just a file rename like Windows Explorer is doing. All of the links to that file must be found and automatically updated.

As for being the same as MS Windows Explorer, that was and never will be a goal of Sigil.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It actually used to work that way (I don't remember exactly what triggered it) on Windows in the past (with any resource in Book Browser that was allowed to be renamed). I don't know if we disabled it somehow, or if it's down to a Qt change. But regardless, there's only so many signals we can work with. Double-clicking a file in Book Browser opens the file in a new tab (on Windows anyway), and I don't think having the default platform tree-rename editor fire with each and every single-click on a File in the Book Browser would please anyone, so just what mouse event would the OP have us associate with this quicker rename request?

Making the Book Browser behave the same as a platform's standard file browser is not something we're really striving for. Especially now that the Book Browser tree view is a virtual representation of the collection of files in an epub and not a physical one.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's wrong with F2, its does the same as what Windows does - opens the file name for editing.

One of the reasons I use a 3rd party file manager for Windows is that it has a tweak to disable single click rename - drives me nuts when I have to use Windows/File Explorer.

IMO if one wanted the Book browser behave more like most (all ?) file managers the first thing to do would be to make it keyboard focusable/navigable. Qt permitting of course

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The way windows works is if you left-click on a file that already has the focus then you could rename it. I don't think it would save any clicks...right now it's a right-click, then a left-click on rename. If it was changed it would be, left-click, pause, left-click.

No time saved, but a consistent feel for windows users. I can't speak to any other OS.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
maxsteinfeld
maxsteinfeld began at the beginning.

@all
since I also use the MS geWindows Explorer, it is a little uncomfortable to work without the usual "double left click" when renaming ... but sorry: "We're all creatures of habit!"
maxsteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsteinfeld View Post
@all
since I also use the MS geWindows Explorer, it is a little uncomfortable to work without the usual "double left click" when renaming ... but sorry: "We're all creatures of habit!"
Calibre does this and it's annoying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:56 AM   #8
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre does this and it's annoying.
An option then:
Click a second time on the element with the focus activates the renaming (Windows like)
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No interest in making Book View more "Windows-like" (or Mac-like or Gnome- or KDE-like for that matter). Book View is not your platform of choice's built-in file browser. It was never intended to be. There are many, many ways (besides file renaming) that Book View is always going to differ from your platform's regular file browser/explorer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote