Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
11" so much slower then mini 5

Is there a setting on the 11" that will speed it up? Example, I loaded a book from calibre to calibre companion on each. The book is a CBR 71 pages 21.3 mb. It downloaded to the mini in 25 seconds. It downloaded to the 11" in 1 minute 10 seconds. Once downloaded the speed is fine for reading pdfs. I've also noticed long, long downloading times for youtube and even updating apps on the 11". Any ideas?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Are you downloading via WiFi? If so check to see if you are using 2.4GHz or 5GHz on the iPad 11" Pro. If you have a 5GHz system you should try using that because 5GHZ can be a lot faster than 2.4GHz.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Are you downloading via WiFi? If so check to see if you are using 2.4GHz or 5GHz on the iPad 11" Pro. If you have a 5GHz system you should try using that because 5GHZ can be a lot faster than 2.4GHz.
It is wifi, but both connect to the same jetpack. I can't find a setting to change the ghz.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Are you doing a side by side comparison? For pure wifi download speed, there should not be a difference. The Jetpack is an older device. It can also be effected by the traffic on the cell tower at a given time. I've seen download speeds change dramatically at various times in the day.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks pwalker8, but this has always been happening - I just didn't pay attention to it until I got the mini 5 - I'm new to apple products and thought it was just normal for the ipad. Since I did the side by side comparison, it for sure is a problem with the 11".
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks pwalker8, but this has always been happening - I just didn't pay attention to it until I got the mini 5 - I'm new to apple products and thought it was just normal for the ipad. Since I did the side by side comparison, it for sure is a problem with the 11".
Hum, could be a damaged antenna or something. I would use speedtest to test the speed on the 11" iPad, then try it on a couple of different wifi hotspots to see what the max speed you could get. I would definitely test it somewhere that had fast internet. I can get over 100 Mbps with my iPad pro on a regular basis. Just alternate testing on the two iPads 5 or more times to make sure that the results are repeatable. If so, I would take it in to the genius bar and get them to take a look at it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, could be a damaged antenna or something. I would use speedtest to test the speed on the 11" iPad, then try it on a couple of different wifi hotspots to see what the max speed you could get. I would definitely test it somewhere that had fast internet. I can get over 100 Mbps with my iPad pro on a regular basis. Just alternate testing on the two iPads 5 or more times to make sure that the results are repeatable. If so, I would take it in to the genius bar and get them to take a look at it.
Thanks, I'll try that - then to find the genius bar!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
It might just be an Apple thing too. I noticed yesterday that my MBP 2014 and Mac Mini 2012, both of which sit side beside and within three feet of the modem and router, and both of which are connected via ethernet, show completely different speeds for internet download/upload. The Mac Mini is showing over 200Mbps dn and 11 up, but the MBP shows only 86 dn and 11 up. Switching the MBP to a 5GHz WiFi and I get about the same as on ethernet. I know the MBP used to show the same as the Mac Mini at over 200Mbps. I also tested my iPhone XR and my iPad Pro 9.7" and they both show over 200Mbps and both use 5GHz WiFi. I restarted the MBP and tried to figure out what is going on, but it still shows to be much slower than the other devices and much slower than it used to be. Maybe just gremlins!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My iPad 11 is blazing fast.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
Regan Boehm
Regan Boehm began at the beginning.

Device: none
This setting depends on many issues. It could be due to the compatibility between the wifi modem and the device. Radio channel compatibility issues, standard wifi for each mobile device...
Regan Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

I got the 11" to read pdfs a few months before getting the mini. Since pdfs read fine on the mini, I rarely use the 11". I'm going to keep it a while in case I decide to use Procreate and draw on it. Seems a waste - if I ever am near an Apple store, I'll get it checked out and either start using it, or sell it. Thanks for all your help.