Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Can't open California Digital Library pdfs on older Kindle

I've downloaded a number of pdfs from the Internet Archive, and can read them on my computer.

I can read some on the Kindle, or and can process some others on my computer and then read them on my Kindle. My current technique is to deliberately bloat and then re-compress the pdf.

I can't read any of the ones from the California Digital Library section of the Archive on my Kindle. I get a note about how "some elements on this page could not be displayed," and a blank page, for every page. I may have screwed up the processing.

Does anyone know if they use a different pdf formatting approach than other parts of the Internet Archive?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just chose a couple random books. The Alice in Wonderland PDF (from the California Digital Library) uses JPX encoding with RGB images at 8 bits per color.

On the other hand, the Western Philosophy PDF (from the Universal Library) uses JBIG2 encoding with monochrome (1 bit per pixel).

You can check encoding with k2pdfopt's "info" feature (-i command-line option).

That's probably the difference between the kindle being able to display the pages. It may be running out of memory on the JPX decode, or it may simply not know how to decode JPX.

You might want to look at this post.

Last edited by willus; 08-31-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Changed "8 bits per pixel" to "8 bits per color"
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

It's an easier way to expand the pdf, and remove incompatible security, fix incompatible images, etc.

It's not so good for compressing the pdf. 150 dpi sometimes yields jagged lettering, and 72 dpi consistently yields jagged lettering.

On the Mac 300 dpi in k2pdfopt and 72 dpi in a quartz filter usually does all right.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've encountered IA PDFs that had the same display problems on my K3. My reprocessing trick was to open the PDF on my PC in a viewer that would successfully display the PDF and then print it to disk using a PDF virtual printer (e.g. PrimoPDF, Bullzip, ...). The resulting PDF was completely rasterized, but would display fine on my K3.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I've encountered IA PDFs that had the same display problems on my K3. My reprocessing trick was to open the PDF on my PC in a viewer that would successfully display the PDF and then print it to disk using a PDF virtual printer (e.g. PrimoPDF, Bullzip, ...). The resulting PDF was completely rasterized, but would display fine on my K3.
Interesting idea. I tried this in Windows 10 with Microsoft's "Print to PDF" driver, and the drawback is that it loses the OCR text layer.
Advert
Old 09-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Thanks.

It's an easier way to expand the pdf, and remove incompatible security, fix incompatible images, etc.

It's not so good for compressing the pdf. 150 dpi sometimes yields jagged lettering, and 72 dpi consistently yields jagged lettering.

On the Mac 300 dpi in k2pdfopt and 72 dpi in a quartz filter usually does all right.
What is "72 dpi in a quartz filter"?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

MacOS uses Quartz to render images, and to create pdfs.

Preview has a number of filters for graphic effects and one overly-aggressive filter for compression. Some pdf tools include a range of filters for compression, at 300 dpi, 150 dpi, 72 dpi, etc.

Older versions of Quartz sometimes removed the text layers. Newer ones tend not to.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
MacOS uses Quartz to render images, and to create pdfs.

Preview has a number of filters for graphic effects and one overly-aggressive filter for compression. Some pdf tools include a range of filters for compression, at 300 dpi, 150 dpi, 72 dpi, etc.

Older versions of Quartz sometimes removed the text layers. Newer ones tend not to.
I'm not overly familiar with OSX. How do you (1) create a PDF in OSX, and (2) change the quartz settings?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

From a practical standpoint, 300 dpi in k2pdfop and 72 dpi in Quartz usually looks alright on my Mac, but not on the Kindle. I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I handle pdfs, so I can export readable versions to the Kindle without taking excessive space on the Mac.

Willus:

(1) Most applications allow users to export to pdf, or to print, where the print menu allows another chance to export to pdf.

(2-A) If you open a pdf in Preview, it allows users to export (not export to pdf), and pick pdf and pick a Quartz filter from the menu there. The existing Reduce File Size filter is unduly aggressive but there are instructions, somewhere, on how to create new filters.

(2-B) If you use Automator, one of its tools allows users to apply a Quartz filter to a selected pdf.

(2-C) If you use compression apps, these allow users to apply a Quartz filter to a selected pdf. These usually come with their own Quartz filters. PDFToolkit+ has lossless, 300 dpi, 150 dpi, 72 dpi, and minimal filters, among other tools.

Last edited by MarjaE; 09-08-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

Are there any tools to determine if a pdf will be Kindle-compatible as-is, or if it will require processing?

Some barriers I've encountered: (1) passwords-- even passwords to edit make them impossible to read on the Kindle without processing (2) jpeg 2000 (3) un-embedded fonts-- these get replaced with other fonts, which may be unreadable or may be mixed into jagged unreadable combinations.

Tags
internet archive, kindle, pdf