Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
marmistrz
marmistrz began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch
To convert or not to convert - PDF

Hi,

I'm using a PocketBook Touch. Some of my ebooks are, unfortunately, pdf. This isn't the most convenient option for reading, but, with landscape and well-done zoom it can be used and is much better than calibre-converted book. But having seen how epub books work - it's much better - I thought about converting some stuff to epub/other eReader format.

Already tried calibre, but the results are really poor.

Is there any automated option which would convert the pdfs to something reasonable with good accuracy? I can accept a couple of things done manually but I can't accept fixing the conversion errors within the whole book.

Or is it better to stick with pdf, which

I'm using Linux, mostly, so Linux solutions would be the best. Anyway, if I have to use Windoze, this could be done

Thanks

Last edited by marmistrz; 06-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No free lunch, sorry. PDF is one of the worst formats to start from. Usually my best results are achieved by putting it through OCR and than the whole process of cleaning up.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
marmistrz

and what if it's "text" pdf (you could select the text but in Calibre the formatting is lost)?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would still do the OCR step to be honest. The formatting is one of the most difficult things to restore. The paragraphs, italics, etc...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If all one wants to do is fix a couple of things, then PDF conversion to epub is NOT for you. It will take an entire day at best, a week or more at worst.

You can try Mobipocket Creator with WINE to get an html file loadable into Sigil and see what you get. But one or two errors from PDF to epub, exceedingly unlikely. Almost anything requiring fixed formatting will fail in epubs.

If your pdf viewer has a text mode, you use it on the pdf in question to see if any text is part of the pdf, and what shape it is in. Much text mode conversion that is added to pdfs is only to make it searchable and they don't tend to worry too much about accurate text.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
No free lunch, sorry. PDF is one of the worst formats to start from. Usually my best results are achieved by putting it through OCR and than the whole process of cleaning up.
LOL...good way of putting that.
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best solution for reading your PDF is to get a tablet. I recommend an iPad using GoodReader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
marmistrz

Thanks for your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best solution for reading your PDF is to get a tablet. I recommend an iPad using GoodReader.
Well, ipad isn't e-ink