Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
valyria
valyria began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Solution for long lists in ebook

For my ebook, I'm including an appendix of a list with about 100 names. I'm alphabetizing it to make it easier for readers to find names. Is there a better way of presenting the list so the reader doesn't have to keep pressing forward to get to where they want to go?

I'm wondering if there is a way to have linked letters at the beginning and readers can just click on the letter to get to the section they want to check out. It's sort of like a mini table of contents but just for that section. Is that doable or do TOCs only work for the entire book?
valyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by valyria View Post
For my ebook, I'm including an appendix of a list with about 100 names. I'm alphabetizing it to make it easier for readers to find names. Is there a better way of presenting the list so the reader doesn't have to keep pressing forward to get to where they want to go?

I'm wondering if there is a way to have linked letters at the beginning and readers can just click on the letter to get to the section they want to check out. It's sort of like a mini table of contents but just for that section. Is that doable or do TOCs only work for the entire book?
HTML style links work fine in an ePub or mobi format so you can do any kind of linking you want.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

I don't know what kind of epub creator software you are using, but Jutoh - which is what I use - will do it. Works just like building the same thing in html - put the anchors in first, then create the index page with links back to the anchors.