Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh, so once someone attaches the yellow prefix we are stuck with it? Maybe something to go in the Rules and recommendations perhaps. We don’t want that sort of confusion about the new club.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Oh, so once someone attaches the yellow prefix we are stuck with it? Maybe something to go in the Rules and recommendations perhaps. We don’t want that sort of confusion about the new club.

Oh, no, I can fix it; I just don't like to fix someone's post without his permission. I agree that using the old tag just creates confusion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd be glad to change the thread title, if Jon doesn't mind. Unfortunately, we don't have a New Leaf prefix as yet.
I don't mind. But at least the tag we have now differentiates one from the other.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So to get sort of back on topic, what does everyone think of the proposed themes?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Courtly Behaviour (this offers both legal and royal themes)
And don't forget basketball!

I like this as a theme. There are lots of ways to go with it in a variety of genres both fiction and non-fiction. I think that is what we are trying to achieve with themes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For September, Back to School (Books based in or around a school)
I like this one too, but it doesn't necessarily need to be tied to a specific month, at least right now.
It has a lot of places to go too, from fiction set in schools (The Magicians, Harry Potter, etc.) to typical books that would be mandatory reading in school (but we might appreciate more now) to books used in classrooms, either as text books or supporting material, or even just books that are intended to teach us something (like a Mary Roach book.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
For September, Back to School (Books based in or around a school)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I like this one too, but it doesn't necessarily need to be tied to a specific month, at least right now.
It has a lot of places to go too, from fiction set in schools (The Magicians, Harry Potter, etc.) to typical books that would be mandatory reading in school (but we might appreciate more now) to books used in classrooms, either as text books or supporting material, or even just books that are intended to teach us something (like a Mary Roach book.)
Yes, September would be the best month because that is the month kids go back to school in the US. Also, I dislike the idea of adding books read in school. That's not part of the intent of this theme. There is a thread someplace on MR where it gives a lot of recommendations for books that are school themed.

Personally, I really dislike the idea of book read in school because a lot of books read are not good and the thought of reading one of them is not nice.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, but Jon, not everyone is in the US. Or even the Northern Hemisphere. And the beauty of themes is that they are, by design, broad and open to whatever interpretation anyone wants to put on them. So a Back to School theme is really a good theme description just because it lends itself to all those options that Dazrin suggested. And, I might add, once we have chosen a theme, no one owns its interpretation. As issybird suggested somewhere, if your nomination doesn't immediately and obviously map to a theme, just put in a sentence of justification.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
And don't forget basketball!

I like this as a theme. There are lots of ways to go with it in a variety of genres both fiction and non-fiction. I think that is what we are trying to achieve with themes.
It certainly lends itself to romance! Clearly, Georgette Heyer's Regencies fit this.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, September would be the best month because that is the month kids go back to school in the US.
Well, in some parts of the US, my kids start in August and many colleges start in August as well. I'm not saying September isn't a good month for it, I just don't think we want to start deciding on when to do a specific category right now, let's brainstorm for a while before we start trying to put themes to months.

I think issybird said we won't be deciding beyond July right now anyway, so this is a bit early if that is the case.

<snip the rest, CRussel said it better.>

Last edited by Dazrin; 01-23-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, but Jon, not everyone is in the US. Or even the Northern Hemisphere. And the beauty of themes is that they are, by design, broad and open to whatever interpretation anyone wants to put on them. So a Back to School theme is really a good theme description just because it lends itself to all those options that Dazrin suggested. And, I might add, once we have chosen a theme, no one owns its interpretation. As issybird suggested somewhere, if your nomination doesn't immediately and obviously map to a theme, just put in a sentence of justification.
This is about books with a school theme. Books read in school is not it. There has to be a school in the book nominated. That's the theme.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-23-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
This is about books with a school theme. Books read in school is not it. There has to be a school in the book nominated. That's the theme.
I think "Back to School" is a fantastic theme that would not be as good if we try to limit it. Stating the original intention is good because it does help us understand what you were going for but if someone wants to be creative with the title then that should be fine too.

If we wanted to completely limit the theme to books with a school in it, then that should be the title of the theme, "books based in or around a school", but I don't think think that would get much support (I could be wrong). If that was selected, I think we would see a different, more nit-picky, sort of creativity which isn't going give us the best results.
Spoiler:
I hope we never have to come up with excuses like these to justify a book being nominated:
"The introduction says the author dropped out of Podunk High School, therefore a school is mentioned and it's allowed."
"Dr. So-and-So works at Johns Hopkins, which is a teaching hospital, so there's a school and we're good to go."
"The University of Chicago is located right next to ___ which is featured in the book so it is 'around' the school and it works!"
Old 01-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

What Dazrin said! The new themes are driving me to examine all sorts of ways to look at books, and we can see from the February nominations that I'm not the only one.

Of course, there has been an unintended consquence -- in my quest for books that would fit the theme, I found all sorts of things I wanted to read. Not doing my TBR a bit of good!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the next day or so, I'll start a new thread and try to aggregate many if not most of the theme suggestions from the various threads. At that point, people will be welcome to add more or do some electioneering.

We'll be setting the slate for the next four months only, so any suggestion might make it the next round or even farther out; don't feel as if you've been overlooked if you don't make the next cut. We're only deciding on four and we want some balance, which means equally appealing themes will have to be postponed. As long as we're having fun with themes, there's no reason to stop adding new ones.

I like the school theme myself; it's one of my favorite reading themes as it is. But once you've launched a theme, you have no control over where people might decide to take it and you might be pleasantly surprised at that.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like the school theme myself; it's one of my favorite reading themes as it is. But once you've launched a theme, you have no control over where people might decide to take it and you might be pleasantly surprised at that.
If it has to do with books read in school, then no way will I be pleasantly surprised. Going there is a rather bad idea.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
If it has to do with books read in school, then no way will I be pleasantly surprised. Going there is a rather bad idea.
I liked, loved, many books I read in school and wish I had that opportunity again. Youth is wasted on the young and all that.