Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Hana Shiran
Hana Shiran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Conversion of EPUB Sifri format to Kindle Voyage

Hi,

I tried to use Calibre for converting an ebook with EPUB Sifri format to Kindle Voyage, but the conversion failed. Any idea why?
Are there tools other than Calibre for EPUB Sifri format conversion to Kindle?
Thanks very much in advance for dedicating your time for answering.

Kind Regards,
Hana
Hana Shiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.

What on earth is "EPUB Sifri" format? I've never heard of it and neither has Google.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only reference I can find to the "format" is this thread from years ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=266365

Sounds to me like possibly some form of ePub with custom DRM that's readable only with some companies apps (kind of how Kobo will name files .epub.kepub). If that's the case then the OP is probably out of luck.

Hana, you can try renaming the file extension from .epub.sifri to .epub and opening it in Calibre's reader. If it opens and is readable then it should convert okay, if it doesn't open and throws an error or seems to open but isn't readable then it most likely has some kind of custom DRM which you'll unlikely be able to remove.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Calibre forum.

What on earth is "EPUB Sifri" format? I've never heard of it and neither has Google.
https://www.epubsystems.com/ereading-platform/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Bernie - that's a new one on me. Calibre's not going to like it, I'm sure!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana Shiran View Post
Hi,

I tried to use Calibre for converting an ebook with EPUB Sifri format to Kindle Voyage, but the conversion failed. Any idea why?
Are there tools other than Calibre for EPUB Sifri format conversion to Kindle?
Thanks very much in advance for dedicating your time for answering.
See ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

Don't post copyrighted material here.

If you only have copyrighted text, post a 'bug report' here, with an attachment and flag the post as private.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its an app wrapper for epub. calibre's not going to be able to convert it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Hana Shiran

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I already tried to move the "sifri" extension, but Calibre still gives an error message.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
Hana Shiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

Don't post copyrighted material here.

If you only have copyrighted text, post a 'bug report' here, with an attachment and flag the post as private.

BR
Thanks.
How can I flag the bug as private?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Hana Shiran - I think you do it after you post the message. probably via a 'widget' on the right, probably nearby the "Mute email"

But I wouldn't get your hopes up, Kovid's reply suggests to me that he is aware of Sifri. The wrapper probably implements copyright protection, or a walled-garden gate.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana Shiran View Post
Thanks.
How can I flag the bug as private?
It's not a bug. There's nothing to report. Kovid knows of this and it's not going to happen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From looking at the vendors home page, it's a DRM scheme for ePubs.Kovid has zero interest in removing DRM in calibre. You might check Apprentice Alf but I have my doubts.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion from epub, ebook, kindle, sifri, voyage