Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura: Bad Pixels?

Hi all,

Just received my Aura today. After a short three hours of frustrating setup and confusion trying to get content from Calibre (Mac) on to the device, I'm ready to go! Turns out the library updates after going to sleep, not powering on and off. Nice one Kobo.

To the point: There are six tiny spots, consistently, that are very bright and allow light to pass through. I am not sure if these are dead pixels, crystalline dust, who knows.
  • has anyone else experienced this?
  • is it a defect or is this part of the great kobo experience?
  • will they fix it?
303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hi

They're not stuck pixels - those are an LCD phenomenon. They're light guide defects, and they qualify you for a warranty return. There are lots and lots of discussion about this on mobileread.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #3

Thank you! Unfortunately I didn't know what they were called, so I can't find them.

Will Kobo send out a new reader, or do i now have to wait for [who knows how long considering this thing already took two weeks] until i get it back?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 View Post
Just received my Aura today. After a short three hours of frustrating setup and confusion trying to get content from Calibre (Mac) on to the device, I'm ready to go! Turns out the library updates after going to sleep, not powering on and off. Nice one Kobo.
The device should update the library when you disconnected it from the Mac. It looks for any new books, processes them and adds details to the internal database. The library on the device is displayed from the database.

This is done while a black processing screen is displayed with a progress bar. Was this displayed when you disconnected?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
It depends if they'll replace it with a new one or repair it
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The device should update the library when you disconnected it from the Mac. It looks for any new books, processes them and adds details to the internal database. The library on the device is displayed from the database.

This is done while a black processing screen is displayed with a progress bar. Was this displayed when you disconnected?
I ejected the kobo, but didn't disconnect it because it was still charging. That's probably why.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 View Post
I ejected the kobo, but didn't disconnect it because it was still charging. That's probably why.
That's correct. You do need to properly eject the Kobo to avoid messing with the database, BUT it won't update until it's physically disconnected.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote