Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
-edit Never mind, I get what you are saying.

If you want, I can post your review on Amazon and give you credit.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Boydm
Connoisseur
Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Dreams*, as I mentioned above, I don't know much about ereader formats, but if epub seems to be a common request, I'll talk to my web host about offering it.

Thanks to everyone for the friendly response and for letting me share my work!

Cheers,
Boyd

Last edited by dreams; 11-30-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: * removed my personal info
Boydm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I was able to easily convert the mobi format to epub. From my initial review don't think I lost any formatting (bold and italics).

Boyd, appreciate making these books available. If you do make it available I would definitely donate after reading each book. Firm believer is paying for my entertainment.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #19
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
EPUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydm View Post
Dreams*, as I mentioned above, I don't know much about ereader formats, but if epub seems to be a common request, I'll talk to my web host about offering it.

Thanks to everyone for the friendly response and for letting me share my work!

Cheers,
Boyd
Hi Boyd

Just to let you know that I have finished The Ark and quite enjoyed it. I think you've got lots going for you. I downloaded the PDF and then ran it through Calibre to try and change it to Epub. Some of the meta data is still not correct and I'm not proficient enough to fix the problem so it would be great to have it in epub from scratch if you can get the web host to do it for you.

I am also more than willing to pay for the books as I read whenever you set up some payment method.

~Jen

Last edited by dreams; 11-30-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: removed my personal info from quote
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
JenPen1, you'll have nothing to read through your holiday in May at this rate! You sped through The Ark

I'm 2/3 through it now, and still enjoying it very much. I've downloaded the other 2 books ready.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
Boydm
Connoisseur
Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Boydm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think the metadata in the Mobipocket format is now fixed. If it isn't, please let me know.

Glad you're enjoying the books!

Cheers,
Boyd
Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Thumbs up

Help.. I'm trapped in the Ark and it won't let me go..

Seriously, It has sucked me in and unless the story take some insane cataclysmic plot twist, I'm seat belted in for the ride..

Boyd,
Thanks for the excellent story.. (for as much as I have read of it..) I couldn't put it down to sleep.. Now if I can just stop thinking about it while I'm at work..
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Help.. I'm trapped in the Ark and it won't let me go..
Thanks for the excellent story.. (for as much as I have read of it..) I couldn't put it down to sleep.. Now if I can just stop thinking about it while I'm at work..
Wow high praise. This makes me want to read it. Not many books stay on my mind after I put them down and go to work.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Boyd Thanks for the books. I enjoyed reading your website, & from a brief first look your books will be just as entertaining. Starting the Ark tonight.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi Boyd, thanks for making the books available, I just started The Ark and I am really enjoying it.

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
Boydm
Connoisseur

Thanks for everyone reading my books! Hope you're getting some sleep, Shadow.

For anyone who's interested, I'll be leading a book club discussion of The Ark on Kindleboards.com starting May 1.

Cheers,
Boyd
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #27
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I've read and enjoyed The Ark; have yet to read the others. I was disturbed to discover, however, that your Mobipocket books attempt to mandate their particular choice of fonts. This is unfortunate, because it persists through automatic conversion to ePub (by way of Calibre). The mandated fonts (Times Roman, etc.) then interfere with the simplest way of over-riding the fonts so I can read with MY choice instead of yours.

I suspect that what you really wanted was to control things like "body", italic, emphasis, mono-spaced vs. not, and maybe even serif font vs. sans serif font. Going beyond that to mandate specific fonts is a rather iffy step -- most ebook readers don't have your particular choice of fonts installed anyway!

Can you produce source files (mobi or whatever) that control the part you want, but not the specific font-family? It would be wonderful...

Xenophon

P.S. With a bit more thought I realize that most likely you (as author) didn't really mandate a specific font in the eBooks. Rather, MS Word (or whatever) looked at your default font settings and passed those through to the HTML that got converted to mobi that....
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to handle the font problem is mobi2oeb and then edit the HTML to fix the problems and then convert back or to whatever format you want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #29
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to handle the font problem is mobi2oeb and then edit the HTML to fix the problems and then convert back or to whatever format you want.
Sure. But it's better to fix the original sources once than to have lots of folks edit them. Over and over and over and...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
Boydm
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I've read and enjoyed The Ark; have yet to read the others. I was disturbed to discover, however, that your Mobipocket books attempt to mandate their particular choice of fonts. This is unfortunate, because it persists through automatic conversion to ePub (by way of Calibre). The mandated fonts (Times Roman, etc.) then interfere with the simplest way of over-riding the fonts so I can read with MY choice instead of yours.

I suspect that what you really wanted was to control things like "body", italic, emphasis, mono-spaced vs. not, and maybe even serif font vs. sans serif font. Going beyond that to mandate specific fonts is a rather iffy step -- most ebook readers don't have your particular choice of fonts installed anyway!

Can you produce source files (mobi or whatever) that control the part you want, but not the specific font-family? It would be wonderful...

Xenophon

P.S. With a bit more thought I realize that most likely you (as author) didn't really mandate a specific font in the eBooks. Rather, MS Word (or whatever) looked at your default font settings and passed those through to the HTML that got converted to mobi that....
Another example of me not really knowing what I'm doing with Mobipocket. I didn't know it was not letting you change the font. I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers,
Boyd