Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
caddie
Caddie Campbell
caddie began at the beginning.

Device: SDony PRS 600
Sony prs 600 Battery

Is anyone as silly as me..

l have had trouble with my battery life on my Sony PRS 600.
turning it off properly.

To power down you just slide the sliver switch. To turn of totally you must slid and hold for 3 seconds until reader asks " do you want to turn off"

Maybe their instructions could be more specific or at least tell us to go to their tech web site and get all the information

Love the product though and learing every day about it.

Caddie
Australia.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi Caddie, welcome to mobileread

Not silly at all. It takes time to work out a new gadget - in my case a looong time as I'm pretty technically challenged!

I tend to only turn mine off with a full shutdown at the end of every evening (I use the power save function - just quickly slide top switch) throughout the day. My battery cycle is lasting about 10-14 days now depending how much I read.

You will learn loads of things on here, I know I have.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
planters
planters began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Very useful information, thank you.
It did seem that my battery was draining fairly quickly and now I know why!
planters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I've been playing with one, and I've noticed a couple interesting things:

The first 'block' on the battery meter doesn't seem to match up to 75% battery. It seems to match up closer to 80-90%. Empty seems to be much higher than 0% as well (probably to encourage people to recharge well before 0%, as LiIon/LiPoly batteries hate being fully discharged).

The touch screen seems to be the main cause for getting worse battery life. Using it to page forward, making lots of handwritten notes, dictionary access and the like will add a lot of drain.

I've been noticing random page refreshes from time to time (page will flash twice) which looks like it might be a bug, and would drain power a bit faster.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
sjb
sjb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddie View Post
Is anyone as silly as me..

l have had trouble with my battery life on my Sony PRS 600.
turning it off properly.

To power down you just slide the sliver switch. To turn of totally you must slid and hold for 3 seconds until reader asks " do you want to turn off"

Maybe their instructions could be more specific or at least tell us to go to their tech web site and get all the information

Love the product though and learing every day about it.

Caddie
Australia.
I was directed to this site via search to find out why my battery was running down faster than expected. And here I was never shutting it off properly.
Thanks for posting that little tip.
sjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Think of the first level power off as that of sleep on a computer. It turns off the hard disk, monitor, and other various items, but is still drawing power.

The second level of powering off (slide switch and hold for 3 seconds), is like that of hibernation on a computer. All items are turned off, thus drawing no power, and will take longer to turn back on.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
is that mean holding the slide till 3 second ,and PRS600 do indeed power off
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifish View Post
is that mean holding the slide till 3 second ,and PRS600 do indeed power off
Correct. Hold it in the off position for 3 seconds, or until you see the prompt about powering off. That will be the full shutdown that uses no power.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
fight4truth
fight4truth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
wait a minute...

here's what I don't get- I thought the only battery use involved was when we turned pages on the Reader, and that page display did not take battery. (Music, dictionary, hi-lights, etc., all take battery too of course)

So why should not completely powering down the Reader overnight drain battery? If the machine is in sleep mode instead of off, but no one is there turning pages, why does it drain battery? Does it?
fight4truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Thanks for the tip and may the Karma be with you. I couldn't figure why my my 600 did not last as long as the 505. Now I know.

Thank you and welcome.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4truth View Post
here's what I don't get- I thought the only battery use involved was when we turned pages on the Reader, and that page display did not take battery. (Music, dictionary, hi-lights, etc., all take battery too of course)

So why should not completely powering down the Reader overnight drain battery? If the machine is in sleep mode instead of off, but no one is there turning pages, why does it drain battery? Does it?
Having the eink device displaying a page even though it is not doing anything consumes only a very small amount of power from the battery whereas switching off completely will consume none. Yes the sleep mode does drain the battery but at a slow rate - maybe there is someone who can explain why. I only ever bother to do a complete power-off overnight.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
newtothis
newtothis began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea it needed to be shut down in this way. I must say, I think the instructions that come with this device are extremely poor, and nothing is straightforward.
newtothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea it needed to be shut down in this way. I must say, I think the instructions that come with this device are extremely poor, and nothing is straightforward.
just a quick start guide, although there is a user manual on the sony website..
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote