Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Bedz
Bedz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Uneven Backlight

Hi folks,

First post so be gentle!
Just stepped boldly into the world of e-readers today and picked myself up a Kobo Glo.

Generally very impressed but when I turn on the backlight it seems to be unevenly lit at the bottom (see below). I just wondered if this was normal or if I've got myself a defective device. I know it's not major, but I'm clearly very anal! Also it's worse than the pictures make it look.

Please let me know what you think folks!
Bedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
So long as the headlamping doesn't extend way up past the bottom line of text, it's normal for a Glo. You can see where the LED lights are placed, and some degree of shadowing between them is kinda inevitable with this tech (apparently it's a lot less on the Aura). Previous firmware had the option of a black bar to cover it, which worked well on a black ereader, but they've taken that option away (hopefully temporarily!)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedz View Post
I just wondered if this was normal or if I've got myself a defective device. I know it's not major, but I'm clearly very anal! Also it's worse than the pictures make it look.
I think it is normal to be able to see some shadow between the 5 LEDs, but that picture looks an awful lot worse than my Glo. I would take it back and get a replacement if it was mine.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Unless you have the brightness cranked way up, then it does look worse than mine too. If it still looks bad on a reasonable brightness level then exchange it. I see a little shadowing on mine, but tend to run the lighting only from 1% to 20% or so.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at the pictures again, it could be the angles that make it look worse: the second picture is clearly looking down into the bottom edge of the bezel where the LEDs are. The first picture might also be looking at a bit of an angle into the bottom edge.

What unevenness there is is more noticable on my Glo if I look at that angle, from the top of the screen to the bottom. But that is not a normal reading angle, so I don't see it in actual use.

Try holding the Glo at the angle you would for reading, with the light at a normal level, and see if it still looks as bad as the photos.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Looking at the pictures again, it could be the angles that make it look worse: the second picture is clearly looking down into the bottom edge of the bezel where the LEDs are. The first picture might also be looking at a bit of an angle into the bottom edge.

What unevenness there is is more noticable on my Glo if I look at that angle, from the top of the screen to the bottom. But that is not a normal reading angle, so I don't see it in actual use.

Try holding the Glo at the angle you would for reading, with the light at a normal level, and see if it still looks as bad as the photos.
Yep. And if you cover up the bottom cm in the last photo, there seems to be little or no unevenness extending up, to my eyes anyhow.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote