Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
hackettt
Enthusiast
hackettt is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Anti-Deal at Sony ebook store

Last week, the National Book Award winner for Fiction (Peter Matthiesen's Shadow Country was listed as roughly $14 (reflecting a 30% discount from $22 original) on the Sony ebook store. I withheld the impulse to buy it, but thought I would go ahead and make the purchase this week.

To my dismay, the book is now listed at $28, but it states it is still at a 30% discount, from an original price of $40.

Being a new Sony 505 user, I wanted to ask the forum, "is this typical of Sony?" If so, where do I register my frustration?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
hackettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, this is normal.

Go buy the title in LIT format, and convert.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackettt View Post
Being a new Sony 505 user, I wanted to ask the forum, "is this typical of Sony?" If so, where do I register my frustration?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
I don't know. But, that is also the price at Fictionwise ($34 effective). You do know the publisher sets the price.

BTW: This book is $9.99 in the Kindle store as of right now. But, I think Amazon is subsidizing it. This is one of the main reasons I replace my Sony 500 with a Kindle rather than with a 505.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
hackettt
Enthusiast

Publisher Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You do know the publisher sets the price.
I am beginning to question this because at Random House they list the original price at $16 for the ebook.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...=9781588368249

I realize that it won the National Book Award, but something is grossly out of proportion on this.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Looks like you might find this thread interesting...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
hackettt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Looks like you might find this thread interesting...
Thanks for the advice, FizzyWater. That thread pointed out that the book is now $11 today. What a rollercoaster.