Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Only once When you have a keys.txt Convertlit works under Linux to remove DRM from .lit
However, you can not buy/download a LIT file unless you use Windows/IE.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvan View Post
My most gracious thanks to all of you who have helped me. After an hour or so arguing with Microsoft, I was able to get my key installed (thanks to Harry and all for that tip) and have been able to take two DRM5 books and convert them to lrf. Long live the forum!

Van
What was it you needed to do in order to get MS Reader to once again read DRMed eBooks? Mine acts the same way yours does. But I managed to get my key before that happened so I'm ok. But if I ever want to sort it...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
angelaruk
angelaruk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Help! I bought a .lit book (from Fictionwise) tried to run clit on it and ended up with a folder full of html and jpg files - no one single file that I could run through calibre to convert to lrf. I don't understand as I thought I had done exactly what I have done with the two or three lit books that I previously bought. I'm new to all this and not particularly technical so a plain English explanation of what you think I might have done wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks!
angelaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaruk View Post
Help! I bought a .lit book (from Fictionwise) tried to run clit on it and ended up with a folder full of html and jpg files - no one single file that I could run through calibre to convert to lrf.
ConvertLIT does two things, Downconvert (crack the DRM, but leave as a LIT) and Extract (pull all the files out of the LIT). You have managed to do both, but you only need do the first because Calibre will do the rest once you have a DRM-free LIT.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
angelaruk

Ok thanks, but I don't seem to have any choices for what clit does - I have a clit.exe file in the folder and when I open that it gives me the option to choose a book then it just goes ahead and does its thing - am I missing something obvious?
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
am I missing something obvious?
Google/"I'm feeling lucky" for "ConvertLIT GUI"
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #22
angelaruk

Perfect solution - thanks so much!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ok thanks, but I don't seem to have any choices for what clit does - I have a clit.exe file in the folder and when I open that it gives me the option to choose a book then it just goes ahead and does its thing - am I missing something obvious?
If you type clit without any parameters it will give you some help.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
With one parameter it "explodes" the book to its OEB source. If, however, you give it a 2nd parameter (also the name of a LIT file) it will create a DRM-free LIT file rather than explode the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #25
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:

I was doing the same thing - if you just click the clit.exe file in wondows you get no options and it does the exploded conversion thing.

You need to run it from a command line. Lots of people have grown up with windows and may not have used a command line, but it's pretty straight forward.

shout up if you need help with it and I'm sure you'll receive plenty
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #26
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
I was doing the same thing - if you just click the clit.exe file in wondows you get no options and it does the exploded conversion thing.

You need to run it from a command line. Lots of people have grown up with windows and may not have used a command line, but it's pretty straight forward.

shout up if you need help with it and I'm sure you'll receive plenty
I'm shouting out! I always do the 'exploding' version but I'd like to do the 'command line' version.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I'm shouting out! I always do the 'exploding' version but I'd like to do the 'command line' version.
As gwynevans said, it may be easiest to use the GUI version (google for ConvertLIT GUI).

To, instead, use the command line version, first copy clit.exe and keys.txt to your directory of LIT files. Then open a command window (START > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) or (START > Run > type in cmd). In the resulting command window:
Code:
cd dirpath
clit
The full "dirpath" starts with a capital letter, e.g. C:\, and I usually get it by copying and pasting from the Address header of a windows open on that directory (in this case the LIT directory). Using the ConvertLIT command without arguments, as above, gives you a usage message. This should be enough to get you going (you want the downconvert option). Don't forget to put filenames with spaces in them within quotes.

It is possible that you don't need to copy clit.exe and keys.txt to the local directory, but the above definitely works.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to explode a LIT file is to use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and then use lit2oeb to explode it to it's component parts. Supposedly, ConvertLIT has a few bugs that cause it to not work on some malformed LIT files. Lit2oeb fixes these bugs. Lit2oeb is part of Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
clit also produces an opf file that is used by Mobipocket creator to produce Mobi format books and also seems to be used by calibre to pull together all of the component pieces for creating a great looking lrf file.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #30
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As gwynevans said, it may be easiest to use the GUI version (google for ConvertLIT GUI).

To, instead, use the command line version, first copy clit.exe and keys.txt to your directory of LIT files. Then open a command window (START > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) or (START > Run > type in cmd). In the resulting command window:
Code:
cd dirpath
clit
The full "dirpath" starts with a capital letter, e.g. C:\, and I usually get it by copying and pasting from the Address header of a windows open on that directory (in this case the LIT directory). Using the ConvertLIT command without arguments, as above, gives you a usage message. This should be enough to get you going (you want the downconvert option). Don't forget to put filenames with spaces in them within quotes.

It is possible that you don't need to copy clit.exe and keys.txt to the local directory, but the above definitely works.
I'm beginning to think this is all above me. I found my way to the command line window but I couldn't figure out where to find the clit.exe and keys.txt and how to copy them to the LIT directory . Is the LIT directory the "LitConverter AutoIt v3 Compiled Script" file or is it "My Library" that I've got in "My Documents"? I get confused real easily when it comes to computer/geek speak!

Maybe I should just stick to the exploded version and be happy with that!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote