Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #61
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apparently video works with Yahoo messenger in Android. I haven't tried it yet, but that is what I read in the various forums.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #62
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Apparently video works with Yahoo messenger in Android. I haven't tried it yet, but that is what I read in the various forums.
Cool. I'll keep an eye out for feedback. I recently started using Yahoo's IM because some family members use it. I didn't even know they offered video.

Would be easier if all your contacts used the same service. Less hopping around to talk to everyone.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #63
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
As a quick summary:
I haven't touched my iPad for weeks now. ...
Good to hear you're liking your Streak. I'm not brand loyal, so I'm open to getting a Streak or whatever else serves my needs. I want companies to kill themselves trying to better serve us, lol.

For now, I have a bunch of iGadgets. They're far from perfect, but I really like how everything works together, rather seamlessly. And for a tech dolt like me, the major hurdle is persuading me to learn a new way of doing things. I'm willing to do it if there's something I really wanna do, but my needs are pretty vanilla, so it's hard to tempt me. I also don't wanna buy something I hafta mess with. I just want it to work.

I love tablet form, so I'm definitely sticking with that. But I dunno that I'll stick with iPad. Good thing is, it's so easy to use, I know a couple of people who would really enjoy my iPads when I switch. I was just teaching a technophobe how to use my spare iPad, and she's taking to it. This is someone who barely uses the Internet normally. I showed her basics, then tempted her with apps like Bloomberg, so she can monitor investments on the go. Her eyes kinda lighted up, lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #64
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I showed her basics, then tempted her with apps like Bloomberg, so she can monitor investments on the go. Her eyes kinda lighted up, lol.
Good thing you couldn't show that to her in 2008 when the market tanked, her eyes probably wouldn't have lit up back then.

Anyway, if you ever decide to buy a Streak, wait until you get one with Android 2.2 preloaded. 2.1 works fine for me, but 2.2 is faster and you have flash (if you ever need it). That should be coming late this month. It is a great device, over WiFi browsing is just as fast as on my computer, streaming over our slingbox is great, and everything works instantaneously and very smoothly. And it is still totally portable, the perfect size for me. Typing is the only hassle (Swype is the best option for English but doesn't work for Asian languages) -- which is why I still use my old phone for work. And as far as typing goes the Streak probably is better than the Galaxy tab. 5" is a good size for Swype, but too big for regular thumb typing in landscape unless you have very big hands. In portrait it is better. 7" is too small for regular typing and too big for Swype.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-05-2010 at 11:47 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #65
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Good thing you couldn't show that to her in 2008 when the market tanked, her eyes probably wouldn't have lit up back then.

Anyway, if you ever decide to buy a Streak, wait until you get one with Android 2.2 preloaded. 2.1 works fine for me, but 2.2 is faster and you have flash (if you ever need it). That shouldn't be coming late this month. It is a great device, over WiFi browsing is just as fast as on my computer, streaming over our slingbox is great, and everything works instantaneously and very smoothly. And it is still totally portable, the perfect size for me. Typing is the only hassle (Swype is the best option for English but doesn't work for Asian languages) -- which is why I still use my old phone for work. And as far as typing goes the Streak probably is better than the Galaxy tab. 5" is a good size for Swype, but too big for regular thumb typing in landscape unless you have very big hands. In portrait it is better. 7" is too small for regular typing and too big for Swype.
Yup, I'm much more likely to get a Streak than a Galaxy, because of the size. I don't think Galaxy is going to offer enough difference from iPad for my purposes.

I left the U.S. before Streak came out, or I would've checked it out by now. I ordered an iPhone 4 overseas before I got here, so I'd have a phone to use right away. I got it here because they're sold factory unlocked and I didn't have time to mess with a new device. It's worked well, but I figured I could easily sell it on return to the U.S., because it's unlocked.
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #66
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
CAn anyone please comment on the Galaxy tab's performance with PDF documents? Is there a software for highlighting text, for example?

Regards,
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #67
cobo808
cobo808 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
CAn anyone please comment on the Galaxy tab's performance with PDF documents? Is there a software for highlighting text, for example?

Regards,

Agree, highlighting is practically a necessity!
cobo808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #68
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Galaxy Tab's handling. I could try it today in the FNAC and I found it strangely heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to the iPad. It is bizarre, given that I love my Samsung Galaxy S phone which works just like a smaller version.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #69
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'm of another opinion. I've held and played with both the iPad and the Galaxy and the Galaxy feels a lot lighter. The form factor is just so much smaller than the iPad and just a bit bigger than the K2.

Sorry for the poor image quality taken with my Hero:

Bigger picture:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/alb...pictureid=3440
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #70
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Just came back from Currys and handled the Tab in a limited way(with the wire tethering etc.,). I did not feel it as being very heavy. Much lighter than the ipad. Good responsive UI.
Little confusing, typical of all android, since i am over-drugged(but i love my maemo better) by IOS.

It seems little too big(or maybe narrow/rectangular) to read fiction etc. and more than a little too small to read technical pdfs. The ipad feels more squarer.
More number of lines per page in an epub to read, with too few words in each line. I will be mentally putting more Carriage Returns per page.

People have told its funny to see me talk with a Dell Streak. And that will be doubly so for the Tab I guess. It has a high sillyness quotient, unless used with a headset/bluetooth.

What these devices need are good grips. I havent found much comfort in the covers.
I have a Marware cover for my ipad that has a simple strap in the back to help in gripping. This works while standing. However i am not very comfortable using this while i am in bed. thats when the ipad feels real heavy.

Maybe the heavy part of the Tab can be solved by a better cover, one that helps the grip in different positions.

Something like this might, i think, have a comfortable grip:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/26/p...e-book-reader/
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #71
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
It seems little too big(or maybe narrow/rectangular) to read fiction etc...
+1. I think it's a real mistake to make these tablets (especially the smaller ones) in widescreen format when you're aiming for a multi-purpose device. I also had a play with a Galaxy Tab today, and reading text in portrait mode just wasn't comfortable for me; widescreen's great for movies etc... in landscape format, but IMO just too narrow in portrait <shrug>

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
These prices and fees are outrageous! Tell me it's a joke???

Quote:
T-Mobile USA has become the first US carrier to launch the Samsung Galaxy Tab, with the 7-inch Froyo slate priced at $399.99 with a new, two-year data plan or $599.99 plan-free. Two data packages are on offer – $24.99 for 200MB or $39.99 for 5GB – but each comes with unlimited text, picture and video messaging from the slate.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #73
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Consider the Spanish price of €850 plan-free and tell me again who's joking.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #74
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yup, those prices sound like the U.S. ones I've seen. When saw them, I thought, you've got to be kidding.

I'm overseas indefinitely and am paying about 25 bucks USD for unlimited data, without a contract, on my iPad. If I went on contract, I could pay even less. In the U.S., I was grandfathered under AT&T's $29.99 unlimited data plan. With those kind of Galaxy Tab prices, I have no incentive to consider switching.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #75
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In my opinion, those prices totally are in line with similar products and I don't have the slightest problems with this pricing level.

As an early adopter, I've paid € 700 for the Galaxy Tab in Germany (unlocked).
I've paid about € 600 for Dell Streak and you pay about 700 for a comparable iPad 3G.
You have to pay -and this really seems somewhat outrageous- € 900 (!!!) for an unlocked iPhone4.

If I'd follow the logic "smaller screen = lower price" (which I don't, as display size only is 1 of 734 cost drivers), iPhone4 by far is most overpriced, followed by Dell Streak. Galaxy Tab on the other hand, in comparison to iPad, totally makes sense (smaller screen, but cameras, SD slot and other stuff = same price).

And:
a.) I've never got the discussion about hardware prices anyway. In the 2 months owning Dell Streak, I've paid way more in Android software, than I'd invested in the hardware. Similarly, I've got hundreds of purchased eBooks on my readers, hundreds of purchased movies in iTunes and so on.
b.) I'll never get angry reactions of customers. Simply don't buy it and never again think a single second about it...
c.) What's the base of your comparison? iPad? That one I've tried to comment at the beginning of this response. Tablet (PCs)? My Samsung UMPC still is > € 1000. It's slower in all instances and hess less to offer (with the exception of XP as a full blown OS = full PC features). Other LCDs, for example nook color? Those range form € 150 to € 500 and totally are in line with Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad if I compare "price vs. features".
d.) Or do you focus on the contracted version instead of the unlocked one? For one, I'd never do that if an unlocked version is available. I'm using mine with my 3rd T-Mobile Multi-SIM. And even then the prices seem okay.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote