Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
WinCE - How to get download for Q5 & Q7

See my posts in the MP4Nation forum for how to get WinCE for Q5 & Q7 (sorry for the lazy option but did not want to do it all over again)

http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewt...=13734&start=0
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I'm working on this right now and will post screenshots of WinCE 6.0 when and if I can get it working.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Actually, this isn't the English version yet, so I'll update this when that version comes out (about a week I hear).
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Actually, this isn't the English version yet, so I'll update this when that version comes out (about a week I hear).
So, is it definitely a dual boot situation & not simply having to reflash the Q7 so it will run WinCE but not linux?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, I know this is a stupid question, but....
I had thought WinCE was an o/s, like Windows only smaller? But evidently that's not correct, it seems that WinCE is a base and then you have to have developer knowledge to add the things that make it an o/s for your specific device. I guess that's what "embedded" means, huh?
So, if I got a device that ran Linux, even though the hardware might be compatible with WinCE, changing over to WinCE from Linux would be darned near impossible unless the company released a version of WinCE for that device...am I correct, or not?
If I'm off base here, then could someone please point me in the direction of how on earth you acquire a copy of WinCE??
I can't find a way to even purchase a license for it, unless you download the SDK and then register it with Microsoft. Sorry, I'm not a developer...I can install a regular Windows OS all day long, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with CE.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Windows CE is sold as a developers kit. You pick which modules/functions you want included in your product and then build a distribution specific to that hardware. You as the OEM pay Microsoft a license fee based on how many gizmos you manufacture.

Things like Windows Mobile are a more standardized version of Windows CE where Microsoft specifies the hardware and software configuration. OEMs then build their product based on that specification, with additional bells and whistles to distinguish their product from the other, similar ones.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
........how on earth you acquire a copy of WinCE??I can't find a way to even purchase a license for it, unless you download the SDK and then register it with Microsoft. Sorry, I'm not a developer...I can install a regular Windows OS all day long, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with CE.
My earlier post was for those people who have purchased the SmartQ 5 & & (sorry for not making that clearer). SmartQ have purchased licences for WinCE and are offering them as an alternative OS to Q5 & Q7 owners. I guess the early feedback (Linux is slow, avi playback is poor etc) made them nervous, hence the WinCE offer, (cause everybody loves Windows )
Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
My earlier post was for those people who have purchased the SmartQ 5 & & (sorry for not making that clearer). SmartQ have purchased licences for WinCE and are offering them as an alternative OS to Q5 & Q7 owners. I guess the early feedback (Linux is slow, avi playback is poor etc) made them nervous, hence the WinCE offer, (cause everybody loves Windows )
No, I understood that part, about it being for people who purchased the SmartQ5/Q7; so no apology necessary.
At the time, I was looking at the Always Innovating Touch Book, which would be great except it runs linux and the company has no interest in releasing a windows o/s for it, as far as I can tell from their rant about "We don't really do Windows" on their site. They do say that Windows 7 is a possibility, but it sounds like it'd be in the distant future.

However, after doing some experimenting, I got both MS Reader and Mobipocket Reader to work in WINE - so I guess that opens up devices with Linux as possibilities again.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
obsessed
obsessed began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Nation-A-List, Thanks for the directions. Still scarry, but I managed to get it done, I think? Would a Thanks and a green check mark be a sign that I did okay?

Thanks for all your info here and elsewhere. PattyC.

P.S. I went back and tried to log in, no luck. I am not even sure that is what I was doing?

Last edited by obsessed; 07-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.
obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
If I'm off base here, then could someone please point me in the direction of how on earth you acquire a copy of WinCE??
Shel I came across this, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembe...e/default.mspx (you may have already been there) it seems you can download a Free six month trial of WinCE from here.
P.S. You have to sign up to download.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Shel I came across this, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembe...e/default.mspx (you may have already been there) it seems you can download a Free six month trial of WinCE from here.
P.S. You have to sign up to download.
Yes, been there...my problem was what to do after six months?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Nation.A.List
Addict

Cost (USD)*
Development Tools: $995 - NO WAY!
Runtime Licensing: $3.00 for Core SKU;
$16.00 for Professional SKU
New C5G and C6G SKUs for Consumer Internet Devices. Priced between Core and Professional

Can't be only $3.00 even $16.00 would be OK

To find your local distributor - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembe...nited%20States

If you have any luck let us know!

The WinCe download looks like a version to be run on a PC for testing/evaluating, not a stand-alone O/S.

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 07-14-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

It is for developers (specifically for Visual Studio 2005). This is the type of development work I do. Anyhow, I poked around and can't seem to find any place that actually sells the OS for MIPS devices.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
It is for developers (specifically for Visual Studio 2005). This is the type of development work I do. Anyhow, I poked around and can't seem to find any place that actually sells the OS for MIPS devices.
But isn't the SmartQ 5 and 7 using an ARM processor?
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

It does! My mistake, although I still run into the same issue. I'm not sure where I came up with MIPS - I think I was looking at another device at the moment I typed it.