Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Battery drain

I am not sure whether this topic goes in here. But since the issue cropped up after adding large number of books to device, I think it can be discussed here.

Device: samsung galaxy note 2

I added a large number of books to device through calibre companions connect as wireless device/content server. The book metadata is in sync with calibre. There is no issue with functionality of cc. Its working as it should and I can open and read each and every book.

But after the addition of books my battery drains super fast. The reason being "index services" consuming 60% of battery. It takes about 4 days for the index services to finish is job and settle down. I am ok with it considering the number and size of books I have added. But the issue is, whenever I add or delete a new book to calibre and sync it with cc, the index services kicks in again draining the battery and phone lags too much. Sometimes indexing crashes too.

I have gone through many forums about indexing services issue. I added a .nomedia file to the folder of cc books (I have them on my external sd card in a folder called calibre companion. Yes, I am on rooted kitkat and could add a custom folder for cc). But .nomedia file failed to prevent index services from indexing cc folder. I tried disabling index services which helps, but that cripples the intention of index services for other media.

I read somewhere that if the pdf files have extra special characters like " . " before the file extension, index services struggles or crashes when indexing such files. Many of my books have that extra " . "
But there is no problem in reading these files. Having book id as file name is not an option for me, as I will have to re add all books and I prefer my books with title for the convenience of searching.

How do I solve this issue. I dont want indexing services to index cc folder or it should not index cc folder fully on every addition or deletion.

Thanks.
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, but I have no idea. Index service seems to be a samsung thing. It doesn't exist on any of my devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Thanks. I will try on samsung forums. But, is it possible to have book titles without those extra " . " before the file extensions?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406289438090.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	125827

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406289466138.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	125828
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can have the book file name be anything you want.

In calibre, after connecting your device, right-click on the device icon and choose "Configure this device". You will see a screen similar to the attachment. Put whatever template you want in the box pointed at by the red arrow.

See the template language documentation for help with templates. My guess is that you want to use the re() function to remove characters from the authors and titles.

Do note that you must delete the copy with the old file name before sending a copy with the new name, otherwise the new file name will be ignored. The best approach is to connect, delete books using calibre's device view, disconnect, connect again, send. Try it on a few books before you do it for all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	410
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	125834  
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Hmmm.... that's going to take take hell lot of time to do that for all 900 plus books. Will I have to delete and re add books on cc if I select to have book id as file name?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhupk View Post
Hmmm.... that's going to take take hell lot of time to do that for all 900 plus books. Will I have to delete and re add books on cc if I select have book id as file name?
Yes. Calibre tries very hard to use the existing file name if the book is already on the device. One defeats that by removing the file.

Deleting the files off the device using calibre is relatively fast. The time to send the new copy is the same regardless of which naming algorithm is used.

You may want to be sure that changing the file name works around the Samsung indexer bug before you rename everything.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

I searched a lot around how to fix the issue and tried almost every available solution. Only two options left are renaming pdfs without extra characters and formatting sd card. These are apart from option of removing indexing service altogether.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

I deleted all books from cc. Readded books with book id as file name. Books got indexed within few hours and I don't have battery drain due to indexing services running non stop on my galaxy note 2 now. Were those extra "." In file name before file extention responsible for indexing services to hang up resulting in battery drain?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhupk View Post
Were those extra "." In file name before file extention responsible for indexing services to hang up resulting in battery drain?
I don't know. As I said, I don't have a device with the service. I suppose it could be, given that Android has trouble with such files when launching readers.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 AM   #11
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Yes. We did discuss about this earlier. Those files were not picked up by moon reader. All is well now. But I have to live with book id and not book title. Thanks
Old 07-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

You could do what I suggested in post 5 and change the template in calibre. Something like
Code:
{title:'re($, '[.,]', '_')'} - {authors:'re($, '[.,]', '_')'} ({id})
would change all commas and periods into underscores, leaving the rest of the characters untouched.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 AM   #13
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You could do what I suggested in post 5 and change the template in calibre. Something like
Code:
{title:'re($, '[.,]', '_')'} - {authors:'re($, '[.,]', '_')'} ({id})
would change all commas and periods into underscores, leaving the rest of the characters untouched.
Will try that.