Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Viewer displays nothing when loading any book from my database

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When it encounters certain video drivers, the Qt webengine component (used in version 4) throws its toys out of the pram. The potential solutions are: a) if they exist, install newer video drivers, b) install new video adapter (tricky on laptops), c) buy a new computer (test calibre 4 first though), use calibre version 3.

BR
When I first encountered this problem the HP had Calibre 3.44.0 on it and after 2 days I upgraded to 4.10.1 to try to alleviate it, but alas, the problem has continued.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Update your graphics drivers or downgrade calibre to 3.48.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #18
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Viewer displays nothing when loading any book from my database

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Update your graphics drivers or downgrade calibre to 3.48.
Kovid, thanks!

First off this problem began before updating from calibre 3.44 to 4.10.1. Secondly even though my windows 10 is up to date, yesterday, I attempted to upgrade the graphics drivers but all drivers appeared to be the latest available. So today I removed calibre 4.10.1 and installed 3.48. But, alas, this did not help.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:47 AM   #19
gsquared
Innkeeper
gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gsquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
..... When I attempt to view it in calibre the ebook-viewer icon appears on my windows 10 toolbar but no window is shown. hovering over the icon produces a small window above the icon that is totally white with an X in the upper right corner that removes the ghost window when clicked, but when I click in the white background it does not open a window.
(my italics)
Maybe another off-screen window? Hit Alt+spacebar, then M. Then use the arrow keys to move the window, which according to this theory, is somewhere off-screen, into view.
gsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

post a couple of screen shots of what it is you are seeing exactly
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Viewer displays nothing when loading any book from my database

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
(my italics)
Maybe another off-screen window? Hit Alt+spacebar, then M. Then use the arrow keys to move the window, which according to this theory, is somewhere off-screen, into view.
Quote:
Thanks gsquared & kovid,

gsquared:
The "off-screen window" suggestion worked!!

kovid:
Since there was no window displayed when I tried to view the file and then tried to do a screen copy. The only thing that happened was hovering over the taskbar icon and getting a blank white mini-window with an X on the upper right corner which dissapeared when I tried to screen copy,

Old 02-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think this is the first instance I've seen of the Viewer window going 'off screen', my impression is that it is mostly modal dialogue windows.

@Kovid - could there be a 'where am I' check in the 'show window' function that would detect this issue and then pop some sort of diagnostic and maybe centre the window?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...b42f49d650605b might help.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool still having problems

Quote:
I just loaded the new version (4.11.2) and it changed the size and proportions of the viewer window, but the window still needed to be moved from off-screen (Capture.PNG). Besides that there were no control icons anywhere in the window. So I went back to version 3.48 which produces Capture2.jpg which has the control icons but still needs to be moved from off-screen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	555.1 KB
ID:	177301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	177302  

Last edited by alansplace; 02-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I just loaded the new version (4.11.2) and it changed the size and proportions of the viewer window, but the window still needed to be moved from off-screen (Capture.PNG). Besides that there were no control icons anywhere in the window. So I went back to version 3.48 which produces Capture2.jpg which has the control icons but still needs to be moved from off-screen.
The new viewer is minimalist (much like reading on most ereaders). You will need to right click and enter the preferences to add controls -- check under miscellaneous => Customize toolbar for some choices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@alansplace - You can show and hide the toolbar with the Ctrl/F11 toggle - just like you can in the old viewer. The difference is that old viewer's default setting is SHOW, whilst the new viewer's default setting is HIDE.

In the old viewer there's also an option to hide/show the toolbar in the context (right click) menu, not sure if there's anything similar in the new viewers right click options matrix - I get lost in it

Another new feature is that new viewer's toolbar can be customised much the same as the calibre library manager's toolbar can be.

Here you can see the viewer's default toolbar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-23 110344.png
Views:	330
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	177303

Added: I don't have any clues as to why windows go off screen on some peoples computers - I suspect it's something in Qt.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-22-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #28
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The new viewer is minimalist (much like reading on most ereaders). You will need to right click and enter the preferences to add controls -- check under miscellaneous => Customize toolbar for some choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@alansplace - You can show and hide the toolbar with the Ctrl/F11 toggle - just like you can in the old viewer. The difference is that old viewer's default setting is SHOW, whilst the new viewer's default setting is HIDE.

In the old viewer there's also an option to hide/show the toolbar in the context (right click) menu, not sure if there's anything similar in the new viewers right click options matrix - I get lost in it

Another new feature is that new viewer's toolbar can be customised much the same as the calibre library manager's toolbar can be.

Here you can see the viewer's default toolbar:

Attachment 177303

Added: I don't have any clues as to why windows go off screen on some peoples computers - I suspect it's something in Qt.

BR
Thanks!

Now, after putzing around in preferences, 4.11.2 is now putting the view window on the screen and I don't know what particular change caused this.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks!

Now, after putzing around in preferences, 4.11.2 is now putting the view window on the screen and I don't know what particular change caused this.
One of the bug fixes listed for 4.11.2's What's New is:

Fix for viewer window going off screen even when not restoring window geometry
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote