Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Alan_Bernardo
Enthusiast
Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Free Time: No WiFi?

Hello!

I have the latest Oasis. I really would like some statistics of my reading.

Free Time looks like at least a way to do this.

The only problem is that when I try and set Free Time up it's wanting to connect to my WiFi. I can get through a couple of screens during setup, but then towards the end it keeps asking about WiFi and never lets me finish.

Is it possible to set this all up without WiFi? I've had this new Oasis since July of this year, and have connected ONCE to Amazon to register the device.

My general practice with Kindles is to never connect unless I absolutely have to.

So, can it be done?

Thanks!
Alan_Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Stats on almost all ereaders involve theft of privacy. It could EASILY be done locally, but certainly for the Kindle or Kobo your activity is sent to Amazon or Kobo-Rakuten.

To me that's an unacceptable cost. That's why it wants the WiFi.

Exactly what value is it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
I thought that Freetime was a subscription reading service like Kindle Unlimited but for kids.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Alan_Bernardo
Enthusiast
Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_Bernardo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=FrustratedReader;3925116]Stats on almost all ereaders involve theft of privacy. It could EASILY be done locally, but certainly for the Kindle or Kobo your activity is sent to Amazon or Kobo-Rakuten.

Huh?

Last edited by Alan_Bernardo; 12-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Big data is an industry these days. If you let your Kindle go online, or most other app or devices these days, you can count on them tracking your purchases, and probably what you have on the device, your searches and location history for a start.

Targeted ads of course and there are many business models that profile users and aggregate data from diverse sites to identify who you are and build more complete demographics for marketing purposes. That seems to qualify as a privacy concern.

__

edit: As to the OP setting up Free time. You might be able to set up Free Time by letting it connect to your home router. Just pull the ethernet cable or whatever the actual net connection is. And check that there aren't any other open wi-fi hotspots within range first.

It will probably let you complete the setup because it can make the wi-fi connection to your router - even though it can't reach the intended.destination (untested).

Last edited by Junket; 12-08-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Alan_Bernardo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Big data is an industry these days. If you let your Kindle go online, or most other app or devices these days, you can count on them tracking your purchases, and probably what you have on the device, your searches and location history for a start.

Targeted ads of course and there are many business models that profile users and aggregate data from diverse sites to identify who you are and build more complete demographics for marketing purposes. That seems to qualify as a privacy concern.

__

edit: As to the OP setting up Free time. You might be able to set up Free Time by letting it connect to your home router. Just pull the ethernet cable or whatever the actual net connection is. And check that there aren't any other open wi-fi hotspots within range first.

It will probably let you complete the setup because it can make the wi-fi connection to your router - even though it can't reach the intended.destination (untested).
Thanks! I might try this to see.

As I said, I'm not interested in Amazon knowing what books I have and what are my reading habits and such. Thus, I connect once to register my device, and never again.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well you could connect just one time to register with no books on your Kindle. Then put your books back if you sideload them.

I wouldn't want to get ambushed with an unwanted firmware update. So I would either stay unregistered, use a fake registration or the unroutable method above.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Paperbackstash
Addict
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles. See Signature for Info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I thought that Freetime was a subscription reading service like Kindle Unlimited but for kids.
It is a program for kids, so I'm confused too. It allows parents to better monitor and control their kid's reading, which while I understand from a parenting angle, strikes me as kind of funny not to connect to Wi-fi due to privacy reasons but the Freetime eliminates privacy, just within the household. Either way it doesn't have to be run with Wi-Fi on, but I can see a reason it would need it to be able to set itself up.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 12-13-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Stats on almost all ereaders involve theft of privacy. It could EASILY be done locally, but certainly for the Kindle or Kobo your activity is sent to Amazon or Kobo-Rakuten.

To me that's an unacceptable cost. That's why it wants the WiFi.

Exactly what value is it?
Once you register a Kobo, you do not ever have to turn on WiFi. You can have your stats without WiFi being on. I've had my H2o for just over 5 years and the WiFi has been on only once. That one time was to register.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
FreeTime is subscription service. Apparently it is also necessary to set up Child profiles in order to read the content. Those also need to be set up per-device, which requires internet connection as well. If I remember correctly (I have played with child profiles a bit) you cannot side load content that can be read with Child profile, which would defeat the ability of parents to control the content and send it to the device from Parent Dashboard. There are other restrictions and reading features that are not enabled as well (e.g. I think immersion reading does not work on Fire or iOS).

This is explicitly called out in the FreeTime for iOS Help article, not sure why it isn’t for Kindle.

Presumably it’s possible for parent accounts to read FT content using their account (how else could they review what it is that they were sending?), even if it is enabled for only 1 child account. But I am not curious enough to do a trial to find out.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
A little off-topic, but related.

Why do Amazon keep asking me to set up a child account? I don't have children, just cats. I buy lots of things from Amazon, mostly kindle books, stationery and arty things. But I just don't see why they think I have children. It's very annoying.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

You must have looked at, or perchance thought about children on some website?
Need not have been an Amazon site.

Big data, targeted advertising, why privacy policies, cookies, etc matter.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
A little off-topic, but related.

Why do Amazon keep asking me to set up a child account? I don't have children, just cats. I buy lots of things from Amazon, mostly kindle books, stationery and arty things. But I just don't see why they think I have children. It's very annoying.
But, it's a good question because they've never asked me to set up a child account.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
I feel much more under attack from government than from any company.

I enjoy my Kindle and have WiFi. I wonder how paranoid people use a cell phone?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I feel much more under attack from government than from any company.

I enjoy my Kindle and have WiFi. I wonder how paranoid people use a cell phone?
I don't feel "under attack" from Amazon; just mildly irritated. As for the government, I can't help feeling they have better things to do.

Probably because of the stationery orders I make on Amazon (only for personal use) they have also suggested that I set up a business account. Seems like they can't decide whether I'm a mother surrounded by children, or own a business which uses masses of stationery items. I'm neither.

Junket's cartoon just about sums it up.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote