Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #31
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW2, PW4, Clara HD
anyone in the know... could this be related to static discharge? there's not a shock, spark, or anything, but it is winter, heat is on, wearing sweaters and that type clothing...
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #32
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Perhaps a faulty design or a disconnected ground somewhere. That is just one of many possible causes though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
anyone in the know... could this be related to static discharge? there's not a shock, spark, or anything, but it is winter, heat is on, wearing sweaters and that type clothing...
OtinG may be onto something.

I was also about to ask if your air is very dry because of winter and heating.

Static discharge can be hard to notice. I've only ever experienced kindle freezes that I suspected were caused by static discharge. If it caused a page turn, I would not expect big jumps.

If you hold it where you touched it and repeatedly gently squeeze and release and see if that triggers jumps.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Static discharge can be hard to notice. I've only ever experienced kindle freezes that I suspected were caused by static discharge. If it caused a page turn, I would not expect big jumps.

If you hold it where you touched it and repeatedly gently squeeze and release and see if that triggers jumps.
it does not. there have been two big jumps and a couple of small ones, a page or so, two small ones I think.

nothing just now while in contact with areas that have caused issues before. but I also can't squeeze metal. all I can do is hold it for a prolonged time. these were quick touches to the metal only that caused the jumps.

the air is pretty dry

eta - I have also recently discharged myself due to a need to handle a hard drive

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #34
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I should have written "apply gentle pressure" instead of "squeeze". But also, discharging to the metal case should been safe for the kindle.

I'm wondering now whether an approaching static charge affects the touch screen and triggers page turns and other actions.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #35
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
The touch screen works due to capacitive touches which are small electrical charges, so it might be possible for static charges to cause screen actions. So don’t rub your cat on the screen! The Oasis should be grounded inside the case to prevent that though, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t get damaged in shipment. I know that when you mess with the internal chassis of electronic devices you should always wear a static discharge bracelet/device so that you don’t zap any of the electronics. But like I said above, the outer case should be grounded to prevent normal static discharges, whether that ground has been damaged is another question.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
The touch screen works due to capacitive touches which are small electrical charges, so it might be possible for static charges to cause screen actions. So don’t rub your cat on the screen! The Oasis should be grounded inside the case to prevent that though, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t get damaged in shipment. I know that when you mess with the internal chassis of electronic devices you should always wear a static discharge bracelet/device so that you don’t zap any of the electronics. But like I said above, the outer case should be grounded to prevent normal static discharges, whether that ground has been damaged is another question.
promise I will never rub a cat on my screen. and my dogs are not allowed near it. eeeeee!

thanks for the info. the issue hasn't recurred so I feel sure it was due to static charges from me.

I love this tiny, beautiful thing so much. (just wish it had the PW form factor)

eta - and I know I'm flirting with bad things, but in all my years (decades) working on my pc internals I have never worn a static discharge bracelet/device but always ground myself each time before starting work.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-07-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #37
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
promise eta - and I know I'm flirting with bad things, but in all my years (decades) working on my pc internals I have never worn a static discharge bracelet/device but always ground myself each time before starting work.
The bracelet, for lack of the official term for what its called, grounds you to the chassis. It fits around one wrist and uses an alligator clip on a length of wire to connect to the chassis thereby establishing a ground. So that does what you've been doing, which is what we should be doing. It works like a lightning rod to divert any static charge from you to the chassis, and since the chassis should be grounded, the charge is discharged into the ground.

ETA: Looked them up on Amazon and they are called Anti Static Wrist Strap Bands, among other names.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #38
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
The bracelet, for lack of the official term for what its called, grounds you to the chassis. It fits around one wrist and uses an alligator clip on a length of wire to connect to the chassis thereby establishing a ground. So that does what you've been doing, which is what we should be doing. It works like a lightning rod to divert any static charge from you to the chassis, and since the chassis should be grounded, the charge is discharged into the ground.

ETA: Looked them up on Amazon and they are called Anti Static Wrist Strap Bands, among other names.
I actually have one, acquired last year in a kit I bought. I still don't use it
Old 12-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #39
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I actually have one, acquired last year in a kit I bought. I still don't use it
Then don’t pet a cat just before touching the electronic components!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #40
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Then don’t pet a cat just before touching the electronic components!
did you know you're a mess???
Old 12-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #41
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
promise I will never rub a cat on my screen.
You think you're given a choice? The cats rub themselves
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #42
SusanReads
Groupie
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
You think you're given a choice? The cats rub themselves
Or stand on it when you're trying to read.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #43
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Or stand on it when you're trying to read.
they sure do.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:04 AM   #44
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

came back to my Oasis tonight and something else had been changed in settings. again, no one with access, wifi off, me asleep, pups asleep, no cats or tiny humans, and I don't sleep walk.

my back cover had arrived and I put that on immediately so there was zero chance that the device weirdness I've been experiencing was related to static. put it to sleep on my settings, turned it on when I was ready to read again and my lighting setting had changed. it had been roughly five hours that it was asleep.

because of all of this, with no apparent cure, I am returning it. I am very sad because I will miss the perfect lighting. I need that the most. it is a beautiful, but very dysfunctional device.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #45
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:

Lots of people have observed static electricity interferring with smartphone capacitive touch screens.

Capacitive screens have a capacitive layer that holds an electrical charge. When you touch the screen it sinks current and the voltage drop is interpreted as a touch. An insulator, like a glove won't register a touch. But a banana would. And a pen won't for an antithetical reason, it conducts too well.

Static charges won't sink current like your finger or a banana. But they have large potentials in the order or 10 - 100,000 volts. So it's not implausible that they could perturb the capacitance and perhaps register a random touch. Amazon could largely eliminate such effects with good design but whether they made that effort..

FWIW you can reduce static electricity by increasing the relative humidity in your home. Or by keeping your skin hydrated. And yeah try not to rub the screen with that cat that you don't have.

Junket is offline   Reply With Quote