Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #61
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I had a Voyage way back when. I never liked the PW1 or PW2 and I tried a few units of each, but those horrible, shadowing lights with blue and red tinting, as well as the fuzzy text were not to my liking. To be honest, the Voyage, as all non lighted Kindles, doesn't have the extra light layer, and it is the light layer that tended to create fuzzy text simply by adding that extra layer of plastic between our eyes and the text. Without that layer, the text would have likely been much sharper.

But what I remember about my Voyage was the tan looking background. It was hardly the pure white that others seem to have had. Mine was not that good. I probably would have exchanged it, but having gone through that with the PW's I figured they all had a darkish tan screen. After a couple of years I realized my Voyage mostly collected dust on a shelf, so I sold it. I actually liked my old K3 much better than my Voyage. And there is no way the screen of my Voyage could even come close to as good as my Oasis 3, the first lighted Kindle I’ve actually liked. I know a lot of people love/d their Voyages, but mine was rather lackluster in the grand scheme of things. I would list it above the PW's I briefly had and the Basic Kindle 10th gen, but below many of the older Kindles and below the Basic Kindle 8th gen, and way below the Oasis 3.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #62
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I had a Voyage way back when. I never liked the PW1 or PW2 and I tried a few units of each, but those horrible, shadowing lights with blue and red tinting, as well as the fuzzy text were not to my liking. To be honest, the Voyage, as all non lighted Kindles, doesn't have the extra light layer, and it is the light layer that tended to create fuzzy text simply by adding that extra layer of plastic between our eyes and the text. Without that layer, the text would have likely been much sharper.
Voyage was 300 ppi while PW1 and PW2 were both 212 ppi. The pixel density difference alone would explain fuzzier text on PW1 and PW2.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post

But what I remember about my Voyage was the tan looking background. It was hardly the pure white that others seem to have had. Mine was not that good. I probably would have exchanged it, but having gone through that with the PW's I figured they all had a darkish tan screen. After a couple of years I realized my Voyage mostly collected dust on a shelf, so I sold it. I actually liked my old K3 much better than my Voyage. And there is no way the screen of my Voyage could even come close to as good as my Oasis 3, the first lighted Kindle I’ve actually liked. I know a lot of people love/d their Voyages, but mine was rather lackluster in the grand scheme of things. I would list it above the PW's I briefly had and the Basic Kindle 10th gen, but below many of the older Kindles and below the Basic Kindle 8th gen, and way below the Oasis 3.
The Voyage was not non-lighted. It had a light layer the same as the Paperwhites and the Oases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #64
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not to my knowledge.

While I do like the Voyage screen, I don't particularly like the form factor, though. I'm a fan of the lopsided design. So I very rarely read on my Voyage these days. Still, if Amazon made a 7'' Voyage and retained the text sharpness of the old Voyage, I'd probably buy it.
Haha..

I'm just the opposite on the design and really wish they'd make both designs at the high and low end.

Preferences just diverge so much across the entire user base for one type really to ever be the end all/be all.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There isn't going to be another Voyage. Amazon cannot justify it. Most people will be satisfied with the PW4. If the price is too low, it competes with the PW4 and if the price is too high, it competes with the Oasis 3. There's no middle ground.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #66
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There isn't going to be another Voyage. Amazon cannot justify it. Most people will be satisfied with the PW4. If the price is too low, it competes with the PW4 and if the price is too high, it competes with the Oasis 3. There's no middle ground.
Sadly you're probably right and perhaps it won't happen.

I guess I would argue there's room for multiple styles of readers across the price points and a generally more expansive lineup, as Kobo has done.

Frustrating.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Sadly you're probably right and perhaps it won't happen.

I guess I would argue there's room for multiple styles of readers across the price points and a generally more expansive lineup, as Kobo has done.

Frustrating.
I just cannot see a 6" premium Reader selling well enough when you have the Oasis 3. I think a new Voyage would tank big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #68
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
I just cannot see a 6" premium Reader selling well enough when you have the Oasis 3. I think a new Voyage would tank big time.
Very hard to know - we are both just speculating completely.

I've always advocated for a new Voyage to be a 7" device...
Generally same class & features as Oasis and the choice is really between form factor preference - Again, very similar to what Kobo has done over time.

But I'd buy a 6" also. haha
Old 12-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #69
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Very hard to know - we are both just speculating completely.

I've always advocated for a new Voyage to be a 7" device...
Generally same class & features as Oasis and the choice is really between form factor preference - Again, very similar to what Kobo has done over time.

But I'd buy a 6" also. haha
Voyage 2 7"
Oasis 4 8"
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #70
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Voyage 2 7"
Oasis 4 8"

Uuuu. I like where your head is at there, particularly since Amazon may indeed want to address the Forma market themselves at some point. Great call!

I'd love that lineup you described.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #71
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Bookyboy, the forum says you can't receive private messages anymore?

Sorry for barging in here with this.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote