Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
WillowRaven
WillowRaven began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
Grrr! Bring back book view!!!

Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly ... not give us more steps to get to where we already were. Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.

I'll upgrade when book view is brought back.
WillowRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRaven View Post
Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly ... not give us more steps to get to where we already were. Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.

I had kinda hoped the same thing, but once I accepted the fact that it wasn't and would never be, I'm a much happier man.

Like you, I'm now stuck in the past (0.9.9), and since it does everything I need it to do, that's where I'm staying--for now.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Wow another first-time-poster going through all the trouble to sign up just to complain.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
What a loss to the world if you don't update. Kevin and Diap are probably already trembling with this threat and will certainly be working on it.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Someone could always fork the Sigil webkit branch and add in any crucial fixes, but that someone would not be me. That said, I would be happy to accept reasonable pull requests targeted to the webkit branch but I will not be building or testing them. So a new maintainer for that branch would have to step forward and volunteer.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.
No luck required. All of the installers for all the past releases are still available for download anytime anyone wants them.

Quote:
Sounds good. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #7
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Instal and use PageEdit:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3889662

PageEdit is an alternative tool created for the occasion. Also PageEdit is much better, in many ways, than BookView has ever been.

Read ALL in this thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3900509

The debate was heated, but all the reasons for the how, the why, the arguments for and against, were stated.
TLDR:
BookView is gone. PageEdit will not be integrated into Sigil.

Quote:
Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly...
Updates/upgrades does not only affect users, but also, and especially, developers. And technically, it's an improvement. BookView was a thousand ton ball ans chain that the developers have been dragging for too long.

EDIT:
I understand that the subject bristles the hair of many people's (especially from a new account created for the occasion). But please, be less... acidic.
[PERSONAL_OPINION=OFF]

Last edited by un_pogaz; 10-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #8
vijer
vijer began at the beginning.

Device: phone
It is mildly tedious to open the file in an external editor if you like to alternate between code view and page view.

Ah well, we can't bitch too much when it's free.
vijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijer View Post
It is mildly tedious to open the file in an external editor if you like to alternate between code view and page view.
You don't have to alternate between code view and page view if you leave preview visible. You only need to install PageEdit if you want edit in wysiwyg mode (and a few other special cases).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Then make all the xhtml files available to PageEdit at the same time by opening the content.opf in Sigil and invoking the External Xhtml Editor button (assuming you have set PageEdit as your oreferred external xhtml editor in Sigil prefs). Then use PageEdit, and do what you want visually editing across the entire book and then once saved on exit, cleanup what you need to in CodeView.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote