Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
Renate
Enthusiast
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Nook Glow2, 3, 4
When you're trying out an SD card, use a plain vanilla, single partition FAT32 SD card.
After you've seen that it works, convert it to whatever filesystem you like/need.
You have to change the mount. The mount is usually done by fstab.
If you have a root console you can do it manually (but not practical for regular use).
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/media_rw/extsd <-- one possible command for Android based things
mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1 ~somewhere~ <-- one possible command for Linux based things
Obviously that vfat needs to be replaced by ext2 or whatever.
You also have to figure out where you want it mounted.
You might even have to create that directory.

(Sorry, I'm not familiar with PocketBook or where its mount point are.)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
Things are harder on PocketBook devices because I don't think you can root them. You can do a lot without root privileges, but editing /etc/fstab and modifying the kernel are not possible without hacking the device somehow.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #18
Renate
Enthusiast
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't think you can root them.
I wouldn't know.
There are exploits and then there is my usual way:
Pop the back off and look for the root console UART.

What do you use for getting stuff sideloaded? UMS, FTP, MTP, ADB?

I went to the PocketBook website, it made my eyes bleed.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The devices run a custom linux OS, so no android exploits. You can use UMS to sideload, or FTP, or SSH. Like I said above, you can sideload all kinds of programs for the device; they aren't that draconian at stopping things from running. They are just careful about not letting you get root access (probably because some of the software on the device is commercially licensed and they have to make an effort to stop anyone from pirating it).

If the internal SD card can be removed, then it may be possible to insert an SUID program into the root filesystem and execute it via a terminal, but it's complicated because the root filesystem is compressed. I'm not sure how easy it is to access it in another system.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
Renate
Enthusiast

Well, it is possible to run ADB on non-Android things.
It's just Linux USB Gadget.
You'd need to make a g_adb.ko and add adbd

The only non-Android eReader that I have is a Kobo Aura.
The root filesystem is just ext4 on /dev/mmcblk0p1

Androids use kernel/ramdisk.
It's easy to modify them in a single step using a single utility.
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #21
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, it is possible to run ADB on non-Android things.
It's just Linux USB Gadget.
You'd need to make a g_adb.ko and add adbd

The only non-Android eReader that I have is a Kobo Aura.
The root filesystem is just ext4 on /dev/mmcblk0p1

Androids use kernel/ramdisk.
It's easy to modify them in a single step using a single utility.
No, it is not. Adb driver is a composite usb gadget not available on vanilla linux. You need to port it to your device kernel, recompile and install. You can port it from https://android.googlesource.com/ker...dget/android.c

Be sure to modify the Kconfig and the Makefile too!

This is only for the kernel driver. I'm not sure but the adbd running on the device might rely on android binder. That's the core IPC android mechanism, so probably a lot harder to port.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #22
Renate
Enthusiast

You wouldn't have to run adbd as a composite device, you could run it as a single interface.
adbd doesn't use binder.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:49 AM   #23
duns
Enthusiast
duns began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
I don'tb see

On my ereader Pocketbook, I cannot see ant /etc folder, nor any fstab file...
Probably I cannot see all the files and folder (because of permissions?).
I see the ereader as mass storage in Kubuntu 18.04.
duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #24
rkomar
Wizard

What you see via UMS is only one of the partitions on the device. That partition contains the files that are modifiable by you or system software. The root filesystem (with /etc and fstab) is in another partition that is read-only and isn't exported via UMS. The easiest way to see what is on the device is to install something that gives you a shell, and then browse the device that way. You can install pbterm to get an interactive shell on the device itself, or install utelnetd to get telnet access from your desktop. I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the whole system before doing anything drastic like changing the filesystem exported by UMS.

Tags
fat32, filesystem, ntfs