Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Kindle has new a DRM scheme?

Just updated my Kindle for PC software. I notice that now the download for each book goes to its own folder. My latest downloaded book contains files with these extensions in the folder:

.voucher
.md
.azw
.res
.phl

It used to be that I'd drag the .azw file from My Kindle Content folder and drop it in Calibre. But now it doesn't work. Could anyone please help? I just bought a few books and I can't load them in Calibre.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You now have a version of Kindle for PC that downloads KFX eBooks when possible. This means you cannot remove DRM and/or convert to ePub. But, since you have a hardware Kindle, you can se the USB download on Amazon's site to download KF8 eBooks which can have the DRM removed and be converted to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
beapea
beapea began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Kindle has new a DRM scheme?

Are there plans in the works to figure out how to de-DRM this new scheme?

~b
beapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beapea View Post

~b
Best to ask at Apprentice Alf, not here
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beapea View Post

~b
You probably are using Kindle for PC 1.19.x and that downloads KFX where possible. KFX is not currently able to have the DRM removed. Once the DRM is removed, then it has to be worked out how to convert KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I managed to undrm my purchases using the 'download and transfer by USB' method. Thanks, JSWolf!
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
cakeating2000
cakeating2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem Pro
I have also been caught by this. I've got round it by rolling back the kindle reading app to a previous version; that'll teach me to set things to auto-update .
cakeating2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
gabryyl
gabryyl began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung
Question Help!

I'm still stuck in this craptastic new Kindle thing. Can anybody either give me step by step instructions to the usb method or tell me how to roll back the PC Kindle app before I start throwing Kindles...I'm obviously missing a step somewhere.

I have a Paperwhite that is registered and completely empty just to do this and I have Alf's DRM stuff in Calibre.
gabryyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryyl View Post
I'm still stuck in this craptastic new Kindle thing. Can anybody either give me step by step instructions to the usb method or tell me how to roll back the PC Kindle app before I start throwing Kindles...I'm obviously missing a step somewhere.

I have a Paperwhite that is registered and completely empty just to do this and I have Alf's DRM stuff in Calibre.
Here you go ==>> Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre

All credit to jhowell

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I wrote this before learning about the new problems. I still have had no problems downloading the azw formats, but whatever. I guess I must be doing something different.

Last edited by Rellwood; 02-09-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Any idea whether this is affecting the Kindle apps as well? I'm being asked to update my iOS app...

Automatic update has been disabled on my iMac which is where I store Calibre and manage files from to transfer to my Kobo and my cloud storage backups, but I usually read these days on my iPad rather than lug a second device around. I'm guessing that the delivery options on Manage my content and devices mean that updating one shouldn't affect options for the other.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Any idea whether this is affecting the Kindle apps as well? I'm being asked to update my iOS app...
Kindle for iOS has supported KFX (and its DRM) since version 4.9 released May 2015. Kindle for Android added KFX in version 4.18 released November 2015.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm guessing that the delivery options on Manage my content and devices mean that updating one shouldn't affect options for the other.
Correct. My iOS and android kindle apps are up-to-date while my Kindle for PC has been carefully kept *not* up-up-date and everything works just fine.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
OK, what about the OS X app? Automatic update has been disabled there...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
OK, what about the OS X app? Automatic update has been disabled there...
The older Mac app should be fine until Amazon stops supporting it. Amazon eventually blocks access from older versions of Kindle for PC/Mac.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote