Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #33271
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Girl Scout cookies and GERD don't go well together.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #33272
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
Girl Scout cookies and GERD don't go well together.
Agreed. I had to give up Thin Mints 30 years ago.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #33273
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Agreed. I had to give up Thin Mints 30 years ago.
Yesterday was horrible, but today's not so bad. I'm giving up cookies entirely... I hope. A friend told me GERD could lead to Barrett's Esophagus and ultimately to cancer. o.O

I have been drinking too much caffeine and shoving food down my throat the past few weeks. My bad... But day by day, in every way, I'm getting better and better! I keep telling myself that.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:27 AM   #33274
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
When a package, delivered by PostNL, can't be delivered for whatever reason it gets brought to a PostNL pick-up point so you can pick it up at your convenience. Our packages used to be delivered within walking distance. But that store closed. Now they deliver our packages to a store which is a ten minute bike ride away. Not a huge distance, but considering there are two other pick up points within walking distance, it's annoying.

One is a supermarket who recently became a pick-up point is only 350 meters from my house. It's easy to pick up packages there, it's got long opening hours and it's close enough to walk to even if I'm working all day. The one we have to go to has almost the same opening times as us, expect they're open on Monday. But they only hold the package for a week, and they got mine yesterday, I don't want to risk waiting until next Monday.

So I had to move my working hours around. Normally I have Thursday and Friday afternoons off. Now I exchanged Thursday afternoon for this afternoon (because there's going to be a lot of rain on Thursday and Friday and I don't like cycling when it's raining).

I finally got annoyed enough to put in a complaint. I had looked up all the pick-up points and their distances from my house. But I could only use 250 characters (including spaces).

Worse thing is that one of my AliExpress packages is "at the post office", which usually means I'll get a card for me to pick it up. But I haven't got the card yet (can't pick it up without the card). Hopefully I get it today, otherwise I will have to go again on Friday, rain or no rain.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #33275
cc_in_oh
Joker
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Trying to find the best BF computer deal is driving me crazy. HP has very limited configuration options and only uses crippled video cards with half the standard ports missing. The Dell site is a mess - lots of out-of-date info and you have to repeat the same configuration on a dozen base systems to figure out which comes up with the lowest price. Based on Nvidia's video card pricing, the RTX 2070 should be the same price as the RTX 2060 Super, but Dell has it $100 higher, at the same price as the newer and more powerful RTX 2070 Super. They won't answer emails or give useful answers to posted questions. Looks like I may not be getting that new PC this year after all.
cc_in_oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #33276
cc_in_oh
Joker
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Trying to find the best BF computer deal is driving me crazy. HP has very limited configuration options and only uses crippled video cards with half the standard ports missing. The Dell site is a mess - lots of out-of-date info and you have to repeat the same configuration on a dozen base systems to figure out which comes up with the lowest price. Based on Nvidia's video card pricing, the RTX 2070 should be the same price as the RTX 2060 Super, but Dell has it $100 higher, at the same price as the newer and more powerful RTX 2070 Super. They won't answer emails or give useful answers to posted questions. Looks like I may not be getting that new PC this year after all.
So against my better judgement I pulled the trigger on a Dell G5 desktop. I found a base build that was $250 off for BF, and after trying some coupon codes it accepted one for another 12% off. - just too good to pass up and maybe a pricing mistake to stack both discounts. I had another hassle when they called me about some problem with my credit card - had to call my bank to make sure it didn't flag a possible fraud alert or something, then had to call Dell back so they could tell me there's no problem after all. Dell just ain't what it used to be, but then neither is HP so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that Dell come through with the goods...
Old 12-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #33277
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I don't like fireworks. In the Netherlands on New Year's Eve people are allowed to set off fireworks, there are laws about which types of fireworks people are allowed to set. The sale of fireworks is also limited. Unless it's really light fireworks (which can be sold in supermarkets even) the sale is limited to the three days before New Year's Eve and on Sunday the sale of fireworks is not allowed.

Of course there is light and illegal fireworks that is being set of from about mid November. In the past that was mostly firecrackers. But it seems that this year every night heavy, illegal fireworks is set off. Several times a night you get startled by loud bangs, they wake you up (so I'm now wearing my earplugs every night).

Luckily the cats aren't too bothered by it, last year Luna was thoroughly annoyed with the fireworks only a couple of minutes after midnight. She laid down on a chair with her back to the window. Maru was a bit scared of the bangs at first, but her fascination of the colourful burst won in the end and she enjoyed the display sitting on the windowsill for half an hour or so. (But scrape a chair over the floor and you won't see both of them for a while, weirdos).

For the last couple of years the discussion about people being allowed to set of fireworks or not has intensified. Cities can allocate firework-free zones (usually around care homes for the elderly and places with animals). The police has called on politics to ban fireworks, because of the dangers. The environmentally minded people don't like it because of upset animals and the pollution.

I agree with all of them. Just ban it and only allow professionals to set of fireworks.

On New Year's Eve we're having a family friend over. Shortly after midnight, before the next door neighbour and his partner arrive (I don't like her) I'll head upstairs. Make a cup of tea and a snack and put on my noise cancelling headphones and relax; read, watch Netflix, maybe do something creative. Hopefully by 2am the noise has died down enough for my earplugs to do filter out most of the noise and I can go to sleep. For an introvert that's sensitive to loud, sudden sounds New Year's Eve isn't much fun.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #33278
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
RE: Why oh why?

I don't know what it is of late, but I'm neck-deep in some major software development/installation/implemenation stuff at my shop, so in-between reading manuals on this stuff and cursing like a sailor repeatedly about it, I've been taking brain-breaks by reading fiction.

And for some bizarre reason, I'm beset and beleaguered by homonym errors. I mean, constantly. I'm not reading one author's books; I'm reading books by 4--count 'em, four--different writers, all of whose books I've mostly enjoyed previously.

But suddenly, I've got "cue" for "queue" and "hardy" for "hearty" and the list goes ON. It's frustrating as hell. I didn't realize that homonym errors were so prevalent, in the first place, but these authors are ALL making enough money now (yes, I looked at sales rank) to pay for a decent proofreader if not a line-editor.

I mean, FFS. If I'm willing to pay $4.99-5.99-$6.99 and up to $7.99 for indy-pubbed books in Kindle format, dammit, the least that they could do is have somebody proof the damn things.

And I don't mean 1-2 per book, either.

{grumble...}

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #33279
cc_in_oh
Joker

Eye no it can bee hard two bare but ewe just halve too except that sum people cant wright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I don't know what it is of late, but I'm neck-deep in some major software development/installation/implemenation stuff at my shop, so in-between reading manuals on this stuff and cursing like a sailor repeatedly about it, I've been taking brain-breaks by reading fiction.

And for some bizarre reason, I'm beset and beleaguered by homonym errors. I mean, constantly. I'm not reading one author's books; I'm reading books by 4--count 'em, four--different writers, all of whose books I've mostly enjoyed previously.

But suddenly, I've got "cue" for "queue" and "hardy" for "hearty" and the list goes ON. It's frustrating as hell. I didn't realize that homonym errors were so prevalent, in the first place, but these authors are ALL making enough money now (yes, I looked at sales rank) to pay for a decent proofreader if not a line-editor.

I mean, FFS. If I'm willing to pay $4.99-5.99-$6.99 and up to $7.99 for indy-pubbed books in Kindle format, dammit, the least that they could do is have somebody proof the damn things.

And I don't mean 1-2 per book, either.

{grumble...}

Hitch
Old 12-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #33280
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Eye no it can bee hard two bare but ewe just halve too except that sum people cant wright...
LOLOL....

I mean, hell, I've had typos and stuff, but not as a payed perfesshnul rider!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #33281
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I just got a new car so I'm taking care of it, washing it weekly and watching youtube video's on car maintenance etc. So, I go out of my way at work to park somewhere relatively safe where someone won't slam their car door into my shiny new car. At work, I found a good spot where I park next to the curb on the passenger's side so at least the passenger side door is safe. Then, I park right next to the curb so that I can just about open the driver's side door fully without hitting the car next to me. All goes well for a few months until I go to my car after work and there is a huge mark on my driver's side door. The good news is that the scratch appears to be only to the clear coat and not deeper so I'm looking at some youtube videos right now on how to fix it.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 12-25-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:05 AM   #33282
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I just got a new car ...
Me, too! (12/23) Well, a minivan, but it's new!

It's replacing a 2003 Dodge Caravan, just a couple of months away from its 17th birthday. I'm reading the manual and watching Youtube videos.

So far, so good.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #33283
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

A young, beautiful neighbor passed away a few days ago. She seemed happy...
Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #33284
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
Some of my coworkers are freaking useless due to what can be described as "a terminal case of laziness" and management is unwilling and/or unable to do anything about it.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #33285
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

I'm telling on myself 'cause this has become an obsession...

I can't dumpster dive anymore 'cause of my shoulders! I don:t know when I'll be able to dumpster dive again?! #firstworldproblems

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness