Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #1741
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes. It is a reading mode. 99.9% of my time is reading. If I want to lookup something in the dictionary, make it a non-primary function. As far as highlighting, that is something that I do 0.005% of the time, so to me it is irrelevant.

Stating that it can't be done because it currently works a certain way makes no sense to me.
Your being as bad as the other Jon here. I cannot see anything in the original suggestion implied removing any function. They just wanted to make the tap zone for forward to be a bit bigger than any of the current options. The only real implication for making the whole screen a next-page tap zone is how to display the menu. Selection, dictionary look up etc could all work the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #1742
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Your being as bad as the other Jon here. I cannot see anything in the original suggestion implied removing any function. They just wanted to make the tap zone for forward to be a bit bigger than any of the current options. The only real implication for making the whole screen a next-page tap zone is how to display the menu. Selection, dictionary look up etc could all work the same.
My apologies for mis-represented the other poster. I meant to comment on what I want. I believe I previously requested this (although my memory gets flakier as I get older.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #1743
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
How likely it is that 'advanced settings for sideloaded fonts' patch gets merged into the official firmware?

A few fonts of mine definitely need some weight to be added, but I'd never mess with the firmware for a reason like this one.
It's 2020, and even Kindle devices allow users to manipulate sideloaded fonts as a default behaviour...!
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 AM   #1744
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
A few fonts of mine definitely need some weight to be added, but I'd never mess with the firmware for a reason like this one.
I inserted some personalized fonts which, however, were too thin.
then I took the "regular" version of the font and replaced it with the "medium" version.

gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #1745
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
I am aware of that workaraound, but some of these fonts don't have a Medium weight.

Does it happen often that patches are merged into the official firmware?
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #1746
stringsonfire
stringsonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to reduce the minimum backlight level below the current 1%? I've always found the backlight on the Aura One to be too bright to use in bed when it's the only light source, even at warmest setting on 1%, but I'm not sue if this is a hardware or firmware limitation.
stringsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #1747
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsonfire View Post
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to reduce the minimum backlight level below the current 1%? I've always found the backlight on the Aura One to be too bright to use in bed when it's the only light source, even at warmest setting on 1%, but I'm not sue if this is a hardware or firmware limitation.
Or it could be that your just sensitive to the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #1748
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
I am aware of that workaraound, but some of these fonts don't have a Medium weight.

Does it happen often that patches are merged into the official firmware?
You could just apply the Advanced Font Control (I think it mifght be a different name now) patch and be able to adjust the weight of the fonts.

There is one thing to note. There is a bug where the fonts don't show the newly adjusted weight after you adjust. A reboot will get the fonts to display in the correct weight. You will still be able to see the new weight in the adjustment screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #1749
Kicweed
Kicweed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Improved Native Annotations Export

I'd like the following two enhancements to the hidden functionality of exporting book annotations to text files:

1. More detailed & structured exports. At best, I'd like the same information as shown in the Annotations page for a book. Highlighted Text, Chapter Name, Chapter Position, Date and any Comments added should be exported for each annotation entry. I hope that since the information is already available to be shown in the Annotations page, it could also be included in the exported text file.
  2. Batch export for all annotations on device. It's nice to tap & hold for each book to export its annotations, but sometimes I'm not certain if I've exported a book's annotations or not. I'd like to have a button in the settings page that would display a warning about taking some time and then export a text file for each book with annotations.
Kicweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #1750
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
My apologies ahead of time if any of this is in the first 1700+ posts in this thread...

I just got my Kobo Libra H20 last week, but have been using it every day. My biggest *drives-me-nucking-futs* complaint would be with bringing up the Reading Menu and turning pages. Inadvertently touch the screen and the menu comes up. How'd that happen? Try to bring it up, and it doesn't. Touch the screen and the page turns. Which way - forward or back? I spend damned near as much time just getting back to my place as I do reading. I've been through the settings, tried them all, doesn't get any better.
  • Let me locate the tap area to bring up the Reading Menu to a small area in the center of the screen, so that any accidental touches from holding the reader around its bezels won't bring it up.
  • Allow the fine tuning of what constitutes a 'swipe'. Ideally, the ability to adjust the length of the required gesture.
  • On a reader with buttons, give an option to disable tapping and swiping for page turning altogether and use only the buttons.

Also:
  • When in 'My Books', the physical buttons allow you to navigate and wrap around pages - last page to first and vice versa - but the on-screen arrows do not. Please put both forward and backward arrows on these end pages.
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #1751
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
My apologies ahead of time if any of this is in the first 1700+ posts in this thread...

I just got my Kobo Libra H20 last week, but have been using it every day. My biggest *drives-me-nucking-futs* complaint would be with bringing up the Reading Menu and turning pages. Inadvertently touch the screen and the menu comes up. How'd that happen? Try to bring it up, and it doesn't. Touch the screen and the page turns. Which way - forward or back? I spend damned near as much time just getting back to my place as I do reading. I've been through the settings, tried them all, doesn't get any better.
  • Let me locate the tap area to bring up the Reading Menu to a small area in the center of the screen, so that any accidental touches from holding the reader around its bezels won't bring it up.
  • Allow the fine tuning of what constitutes a 'swipe'. Ideally, the ability to adjust the length of the required gesture.
  • On a reader with buttons, give an option to disable tapping and swiping for page turning altogether and use only the buttons.
You can already do some of these. They are on the Reading settings which is accessible from the menu bar when reading.
Quote:
Also:
  • When in 'My Books', the physical buttons allow you to navigate and wrap around pages - last page to first and vice versa - but the on-screen arrows do not. Please put both forward and backward arrows on these end pages.
I believe that is a deliberate choice by Kobo as the arrows there would be a bit confusing. As you have discovered, the buttons will do wrap-around, or you can swipe in the appropriate direction to do it.

And, as you are a new user here, please be aware that MobileRead is not an official support channel, and that this thread is in no way an official request list. You should assume that no-one at Kobo reads anything here. If you want Kobo to make a change, you need to report your suggestions to them directly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #1752
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
It would be nice if Kobo had a Reminder function or something like that to remind me when to stop reading.. I keep losing track of time while I'm reading and forget to do something.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #1753
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yes- one more thing. This might not exactly be a feature but I TERRIBLY wish Kobo could use a standard dictionary with more words. The current one is horrible.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 AM   #1754
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
It would be nice if Kobo had a Reminder function or something like that to remind me when to stop reading.. I keep losing track of time while I'm reading and forget to do something.
I'm not sure which firmware I'm using, but I know I haven't updated my firmware in at least a couple/three years on my Kobo Aura.

When my battery is down to 10%, there is a window that pops up reminding me to recharge. I'm quite certain of this because it happened yesterday.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #1755
HolyAura
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
I'm not sure which firmware I'm using, but I know I haven't updated my firmware in at least a couple/three years on my Kobo Aura.

When my battery is down to 10%, there is a window that pops up reminding me to recharge. I'm quite certain of this because it happened yesterday.
Yes, but what I mean is it having a function that allows me to set a reminder for myself, for example, having a message pop up saying 'feed the cat' or something like that. Though if Kobo has a reminder to charge the battery they should be able to have a Reminder function too.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo