Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed, I have been using Arch as my primary system for years. Nowadays so called "stable" distros dont make much sense to me. Though to be fair, I used Gentoo before arch, so I guess they never made much sense to me )

And Qt has a serious quality control problem. I cant really do much about using Qt in calibre since there is too much code that depends on it, but I am really reluctant to use it on anything new.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
@DiapDealer, Could this be related to the crash caused by Chrome extensions you saw. Newer versions Qt seems to be adding in ability to load Chrome browser extensions, right?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-16-2020 at 07:27 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes Qt does have a serious quality issue, and I am not sure their most recent changes are going to help at all.

FWIW, I have often wondered if using the cross-platform vcl widget library of Libre/OpenOffice or the equivalent of Mozilla/Firefox might be a viable long term solution. At least the latter has a WebWidget that is kept up to date and meets the standards.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for my latest major project https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/ I just ditched all toolkits

Its liberating to be responsible for all the bugs yourself
Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
for my latest major project https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/ I just ditched all toolkits

Its liberating to be responsible for all the bugs yourself
Love the Icon.
Boy you keep busy. Between Calibre and your Family and other projects, do you even get tim to breath?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I love my work, its what keeps me entertained I guess
Old 02-13-2020, 04:46 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
. . .
6 of 9 teachers have no problems with calibre 4.10 on the new laptops, whilst 3 have problems. I'm seeing a Toshiba engineer at the school tomorrow.
. . .
Long story short, after seeing the problem the Tosh engineer has taken one of the 3 'faulty' laptops back to his office/workbench to try to find a solution. If he can't resolve by Monday he'll return with 3 replacement laptops. Interestingly he is aware of Qt and their video driver issues - his comments were NSFW.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah these video driver issues are really painful I hate not being able to offer better solutions than update drivers/get a new computer/downgrade calibre.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
@DiapDealer, Could this be related to the crash caused by Chrome extensions you saw. Newer versions Qt seems to be adding in ability to load Chrome browser extensions, right?
It's possible. Sigil just closed without warning. The event viewer indicated it was QWebEngineProcess that was crashing. Uninstalling the extension made it go away.

I know there's been a push for QtWebEngine to support third-party extensions, but I don't know if it's happening by default yet. I've been looking for ways I can ensure it doesn't when building QtWebEngine, but the published config options for building QtWebEngine (with Qt) are fairly limited.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:05 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Long story short, after seeing the problem the Tosh engineer has taken one of the 3 'faulty' laptops back to his office/workbench to try to find a solution. If he can't resolve by Monday he'll return with 3 replacement laptops. Interestingly he is aware of Qt and their video driver issues - his comments were NSFW.

BR
The engineer returned with the laptop yesterday, with calibre 4.10.1 working. I spoke to him on the phone today, after scratching his head all day Monday a colleague suggested he do an Inplace Windows Repair (reinstall Windows whilst keeping everything else) . He's given instructions to the reseller support guys so they can do the same to the other two.

BR
Old 02-19-2020, 01:21 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Good to know that the issue was in windows and not calibre.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

We (engineer and me) suspect the fault lies with reseller, they installed and configured Windows and other software. The 3 laptops with the problems have a different 'id' in the Software column on their Build/QC sheets to the 9 that don't have problems.

BR